PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No 92 shoulder plane - what is the missing part called?

Mike Manning
04-08-2019, 10:06 PM
I screwed up a couple of weeks ago. I saw a Stanley No 92 shoulder plane on ebay being sold from Australia. It had a Make Offer option and after looking at the pics I tossed an offer out. It wasn't a lowball offer but certainly less than his asking price. He accepted the offer and I paid for the plane. THEN I read the ad again and spotted the fine print I'd missed the first time I saw the ad - "Incomplete missing part to hold blade".

The shoulder plane arrived today. This is my first shoulder plane so I'm not sure about the parts. I also can't seem to find any parts listing or diagram on the web for a Stanley 92 (or other Stanley) shoulder plane. It appears to be missing the "wedge" that holds the blade in position and prevents it from slipping. I suspect the missing part is separate from the pieces of the plane in the pics as none of them appear to be broken. I'm wondering what this part looks like and what it's called. Anyone have one these parts spare they'd be willing to sell?

Thanks!

steven c newman
04-09-2019, 12:31 AM
I had a Stanley #90....part you are looking for is a Chipbreaker, That larger bolt merely attaches whichever topper goes with each model...
So, looks like you need the chipbreaker/cap iron..
Sold mine a while back...
Might check with nhplaneparts, about a #90 through #93 chipbreaker...make sure it has the bolt.

Mike Manning
04-09-2019, 12:49 AM
Steven,
Are you referring to a different bolt than the one at the back here? Maybe you missed it in the pic with the plane broken down. Also, I didn't show a full pic of the plane put together. But I undertand that I need the chipbreaker. I'm guessing that a #90 or a #93 chipbreaker will be too wide given that they're both 1" wide planes whereas the #93 is 3/4" wide. I just want to make sure there isn't another bolt that my plane is missing. ??

EDIT: Ok, my google search using chipbreaker produced a video showing the anatomy of a Stanley #93 so now I see the bolt attached to the chipbreaker you were talking about! Probably not going to have much luck finding one of these.

All,
If anyone has a Stanley #92 could you provide some measurements that might allow me to make some inquiries on a spare chipbreaker? I'm thinking someone could have a chipbreaker from a #92 and not realize it in which case I'd have to be able to provide measurements to ensure the right part. Clear as mud?

Thanks!

Jim Koepke
04-09-2019, 1:02 AM
Chip breaker or lever cap, what matters is the size of the space it has to fit into.

Back when Stanley Sold parts my habit of wanting one of every spare part got me to purchase one of these. It may have been due to mine having a short bolt.

It might be the part is the same for all the shoulder planes.

jtk

Mike Manning
04-09-2019, 1:14 AM
Chip breaker or lever cap, what matters is the size of the space it has to fit into.

Back when Stanley Sold parts my habit of wanting one of every spare part got me to purchase one of these. It may have been due to mine having a short bolt.

It might be the part is the same for all the shoulder planes.

jtk

Jim,

It would be helpful it seems if they were the same part for all of Stanley's #9X shoulder planes. Now, if I can find measurements for the chipbreaker/lever cap from the #90, #92 and the #93.

Ah, it's what I get for being so careless!

Thanks!

PS The space in my #92 where the lever cap would go is 1/2" wide.

Jim Koepke
04-09-2019, 1:44 AM
Not looking good. My old one is a little buggered and not useable in its current state.

The other part of the not looking good is the replacement lever cap looks to be for 1" shoulder planes. It measures 21/32" which likely will not fit in the narrower confines of #92 shoulder plane.

nhparts may be your best place to look. Otherwise you may find a broken #92 on ebay for parts.

jtk

Jim Koepke
04-09-2019, 1:50 AM
A search on ebay did bring up one listing for a #92 parts kit at premium price.

jtk

Jim Koepke
04-09-2019, 1:55 AM
Bob Kaune https://www.antique-used-tools.com has one listed for a #94 which is a bit rarer at $98.95. That makes the one on ebay look like a bargin.

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
04-09-2019, 4:58 AM
You can buy a new production 92 (the whole plane) for less than that.

Bob Kaune https://www.antique-used-tools.com has one listed for a #94 which is a bit rarer at $98.95. That makes the one on ebay look like a bargin.

jtk

Mike Manning
04-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Not looking good. My old one is a little buggered and not useable in its current state.

The other part of the not looking good is the replacement lever cap looks to be for 1" shoulder planes. It measures 21/32" which likely will not fit in the narrower confines of #92 shoulder plane.

nhparts may be your best place to look. Otherwise you may find a broken #92 on ebay for parts.

jtk

Jim,
It wouldn't fit without modification. The channel in this #92 is tight on 1/2" in width. I very much appreciate you were willing to consider letting it go. Now at least I know I'm looking specifically for one for a #92. Yes that is a premium price on that kit!

All,
I checked nhplaneparts and no luck there. Although I could see that might be a possibility somewhere down the line. Looks like I've got a #92 parts plane.

Thanks guys for the help and advice!

Jim Koepke
04-09-2019, 1:03 PM
If you can tap threads, it likely wouldn't be too difficult to make a leaver cap that would work until the correct one comes along.

Here is an old thread on fettling a shoulder plane:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?119301

There is a picture of a #90 which looks like someone made a replacement lever cap for it.

jtk

Mark Herdman
04-11-2019, 3:31 PM
The missing part is the blade clamp.
Take a 1/2 inch diameter rod, about 2 inches long.
Cut in half, length ways, taper one end down to the flat side, just enough, to encourage the shaving to go sideways.
Drill and tap a hole to allow a screw to clamp the blade down.
I've had a 92 with the same part missing, couldn't find another, so had to make something.

Mark

Rick Whitehead
04-11-2019, 8:48 PM
Here are some pictures of the blade clamp for my Stanley no.92.
407785 407786 407787 407788
It's about 2 9/16" long, 1/2" wide, and 3/4" high. The rib on the back could probably be omitted, as it doesn't fit into anything, It's just a spacer.
If you need exact measurements, PM me.
Good luck with the restoration!
Rick