PDA

View Full Version : Hawk RBI Planer 8"

Pete Staehling
04-08-2019, 11:29 AM
What is it worth in good shape? I talked to Hawk about want to look for on condition and about parts availability, but they weren't much help on price. There is one for sale locally asking $300. I haven't seen it, but supposedly in good shape.

John Sincerbeaux
04-08-2019, 12:06 PM
I have its big brother which I bought new about 15 years ago for $2K. I only use it as a moulder as my machine is a “multifunction” machine. Not sure if the 8” is? If the machine you’re looking at is anywhere close to the build of mine, I would say run don’t walk and buy it. They make a spiral head for the larger machine which takes about 5 minutes to install. I would think you could do the same on your model.
Even if you used that machine as a moulder, $300 is a killer deal as long as it is in good condition.

Pete Staehling
04-08-2019, 12:23 PM
It is a multi function machine like it's big brother. Hawk's only caution was that the gearbox parts were no longer available and if it needed a pinion that was a machine shop job. So if the gearbox sounded rough passing might be wise.

I assume it is a fairly quiet machine not a screamer like a lunchbox planer, right?

Edit:
I am going to have a look at it tonight and will probably buy it if it looks and sounds ship shape.

Pete Staehling
04-08-2019, 8:46 PM
I pulled the trigger on it and hauled it home. The belts are pretty much shot and the rollers look pretty rough and cracked, so I plan to order those. I plan to clean it up and check for any obvious problems like worn bearings, but it looks like it is suffering more from sitting than from wear.

Anything else I should especially be checking out or replacing that isn't obvious?

Edit:
Despite the degraded rubber parts it is in good enough shape that it seemed to run okay for a few test pieces. The finish isn't real smooth, but it cut well and didn't produce any snipe. It easily removed 1/16" of material per pass and can probably remove more. I'll need to put work pieces in for a pass through the thickness sander, but I expect that.

I love that it is just quiet enough that I can run it late at night and early in the morning without waking the neighbors if I keep the roll up door closed.

I see a dust port in the pictures of the model 408 online and in the manual that I downloaded, but mine has none. The top is flat where the dust port would be. I guess I could add one, but the big chips it produces end up in a pile that is easy to sweep up so I may or may not bother.

Besides the clean up and maintenance I need to figure out where it will live in an already crowded shop.