PDA

View Full Version : What type of grease for electric motors

Mike Kees
04-06-2019, 7:51 PM
My phase converter motor has an exterior grease zerk and the bearing is sounding "dry''. So the question is what type of grease is recommended for this application ?

Bill Dufour
04-07-2019, 1:35 AM
Any standard medium bearing grease should do. Not a hard life for a sealed bearing in a temperature controlled shop. Do not use chassis grease.
Bill D.

Mike Kees
04-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks Bill.

michael langman
04-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Mike, if you can get a synthetic grease, consider it, You will get longer life from it.

Lee Schierer
04-07-2019, 4:14 PM
A few years back my skill saw started making some noise and I opened up the gear box. All the grease was off the gears and up against the side of the housing. The gears were all running dry. I added a zerk fitting and a relief hole and periodically give it a squirt of grease. I also open my electric drill from time to time and regrease the sears.

Bill Dufour
04-07-2019, 5:41 PM
A few years back my skill saw started making some noise and I opened up the gear box. All the grease was off the gears and up against the side of the housing. The gears were all running dry. I added a zerk fitting and a relief hole and periodically give it a squirt of grease. I also open my electric drill from time to time and regrease the sears.

A skil saw does not use grease it uses a heavy gear oil. It will leak out over time. The manual has specific instructions on how to set the saw down to check oil level inside the fill port.
BILL D

Lee Schierer
04-07-2019, 10:10 PM
A skil saw does not use grease it uses a heavy gear oil. It will leak out over time. The manual has specific instructions on how to set the saw down to check oil level inside the fill port.
BILL D

Mine is a Craftsman and it definitely has a grease gearbox.

michael langman
04-08-2019, 11:14 AM
That is a good idea Lee. Thanks for sharing. I have a craftsman skilsaw I was just using yesterday. It is 30 years old and probably needs new grease.

Kyle Fries
04-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Be careful not to over grease. We have had several motor failures at work due to over greasing. Definitely need a drain hole for the old grease to come out of like Lee has on his saw.

Tom Welch
04-08-2019, 1:53 PM
Only use a lithium grease on elect motors and use just a little bit.

Bill Dufour
04-08-2019, 2:53 PM
Mine is a Craftsman and it definitely has a grease gearbox.

Video from Skil on oil changes. 25 and 40 seconds in are the main points.
Bill D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I040fdjp7Y

That was a selling point when Makita came out with their gear drive saws. they do not use oil that can leak out.

Mike Kees
04-08-2019, 7:02 PM
Wow start a thread about grease for an electric motor and now we are changing oil in worm drive skilsaws... Gotta love "the creek". :D Anyhow I got a tube of Mobile electric motor grease today,so I think I am good now. Stopped at an electric motor rewind place and asked,they just went in back and brought out a tube and handed to me.