PDA

View Full Version : Waxilit Removal

John D Watson
12-08-2005, 2:08 PM
Hello all, and am I ever glad I found this sight.
Aside that, Has anyone had trouble removing the subj befor and if so, are there any suggestions. I'm working with some antique Mahogany and I can not seem to get those pesky little white stripes out of the grain. I'm getting ready to put my flexable extenion in a slow drill with a brush.

tod evans
12-08-2005, 2:47 PM
welcome john, just what is waxilit? if it is a wax based product i would think mineral spirits would remove it? good luck, tod

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2005, 3:12 PM
Welcome John. Can't help you with your question but wanted to welcome you to a place where I am sure there will be answers. Lots of good folks here and lots of knowledge.

Scott Brihn
12-08-2005, 3:51 PM
John,

Lee Valley in their catalog description recommends to scrub the area with an old toothbrush dampened with methyl hydrate or other alcohol.

John D Watson
12-09-2005, 2:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome Tod, Bernie. Waxilit is a glue release agent that was recomended in the plans for the tool box I'm in the process of putting togeather. Lee Valley has it, and says to use Methal Hydrate (alchohol) to remove it. That left a residue in the grain. With much testing I found late last nite that varsol seems to penitrate better and desolves the wax pretty well. I have pics but as of yet have not figured out how to post them. Again thanks and I'll try to post some of my works soon.
John D.