PDA

View Full Version : Any Firearm Guys in here?

Patrick Irish
04-04-2019, 9:30 PM
I've been plagued by expensive hobbies. Woodworking & shooting/reloading. These two hobbies take a good chunk of my funds :p

Anyone else into firearms around here?

Tomorrow I'm picking up a Ruger Pc9, nearly new with some aftermarket parts added to it. I might get back into USPSA shooting. They just added a 'pistol carbine' class when shooters are using the PC9 and AR's chambered in 9mm. What's slick with this rifle is it takes glock magazines and it splits in two making it easy to carry.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/RugerPC9_LucidM7_5130web-660x405.jpg

I'm also 90% sure I'm picking up a brand new Glock 34 for the wife. It's the perfect starter 9mm for USPSA production class. Laws temporarily eased up in California regarding the magazine restriction which will make shooting much more fun.

https://www.gunbuyer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/image/886x550/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/g/b/gb-glo34mos-3_1_1.jpg

Michelle Rich
04-05-2019, 6:13 AM
yep, a firearm gal.

Mike Cutler
04-05-2019, 7:20 AM
Shotgunning for me. I have a few sidearms and long rifles, but it's the shotguns that make it out of the house.
Time permitting,and I need to make more of that, I have Vizslas and love taking them into the woods to get after birds.

Competitive shooting is fun. Enjoy it.

Phil Mueller
04-05-2019, 7:22 AM
Me too, although I haven’t aquired anything new in quite some time. Have more than I’ll ever have time to shoot as it is. I added fly fishing to the hobbies about a dozen years ago. That can add up as well.

Don Coffman
04-05-2019, 8:36 AM
Another with this addiction. My collection includes an ample supply of long and hand guns. A couple I bring out only on sunny days, then there are my beaters and an ever growing family of 1911's. And a RCBS Rock Chucker remains busy. Would like to delve into grip making, undecided.

Bill Carey
04-05-2019, 8:48 AM
Me too. I just picked up a nice Beretta 950 made in the 50's for 25 bucks at a sale. Nice little pocket pistol.

Marshall Harrison
04-05-2019, 9:02 AM
Yep. Ex LEO and a Military Police veteran as well. Guns have been a part of me for a long long time.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-05-2019, 9:09 AM
I'm a gun guy. Used to have plenty of places to long range shoot, mostly shotgun these days. Love to take the wife and kids trap shooting. High quality older over/under shotguns are my thing, I shoot a 101, wife and daughters use athenas and a superposed.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-05-2019, 9:09 AM
Me too. I just picked up a nice Beretta 950 made in the 50's for 25 bucks at a sale. Nice little pocket pistol.

Wow, that's a deal!

Bruce Volden
04-05-2019, 9:52 AM
Yep,

I like shooting also! I try not to waste bullets as I'm usually going after big game like possum, coon, pigeon, coyote, stray cats.......

Bruce

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Was into muzzle loading match shooting for three decades. Never liked modern suppository guns. Dabbled a bit with reloading and shooting old buffalo guns. Shot a bunch of original guns from the 1850's to 1880's. Never had money for the new stuff. Shot most of the varmints here over the past 25 years with a muzzle loader or cap and ball revolver. Recently found my way to German style Bollerschiessen. (Salute shooting at Holidays.) The nice part about muzzle loaders is that they are easy for a hobby gun smith to work on and build. I started building a Northern Italian style Trombino. You never heard of a Trombino? Watch and learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnMmHs8-xE For German Bollerschiessen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a2XqNM14Vg (this is actually a religious event: shooting a salute for the coming of Christ on Christmas Eve at Sunset.)

Scott Donley
04-05-2019, 1:02 PM
https://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/RugerPC9_LucidM7_5130web-660x405.jpg
Laws temporarily eased up in California regarding the magazine restriction which will make shooting much more fun.

https://www.gunbuyer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/image/886x550/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/g/b/gb-glo34mos-3_1_1.jpgYou snooze you loose, there was a stay issued yesterday, the ban is back on. Good luck. I also like firearms and reloading. I bought my first NEW gun in 1975, a Ruger Blackhawk, still have it.

Tom M King
04-05-2019, 3:08 PM
I have a few guns, but better than that, I have a range. There are some people (read gun geeks) that I allow to come use it. We have an abandoned rock quarry on our place, a half mile from the house, so the noise is not too bad, and one of the cliffs makes the perfect backstop, with no houses down range for a couple of miles. My only fee that I charge is that when they get any new toy to play with, that they let me try it out after they're worn the new off.

There is one guy here that makes long range target guns, so I let him, me, and my Son (the only person I know who is a better shot than me) use it up to 600 yards.

We used to have trouble keeping kids, and other people, out of the quarry, but with thousands of casings, and shells on the ground that you have to walk over to get to the water, and a skull and crossbones sign that says "Welcome to the Game", we haven't had much trespassing trouble.

Bill Carey
04-05-2019, 8:32 PM
and a skull and crossbones sign that says "Welcome to the Game", we haven't had much trespassing trouble.

LMFAO. Great idea - I bet nobody sticks around after seeing that.

Tom M King
04-05-2019, 8:55 PM
Under that is a smaller sign that you have to get close to read. It says:

Small print: touching, or shooting cameras carries extra penalties

Patrick Irish
04-05-2019, 11:34 PM
You snooze you loose, there was a stay issued yesterday, the ban is back on. Good luck. I also like firearms and reloading. I bought my first NEW gun in 1975, a Ruger Blackhawk, still have it.

Bought the mags before the guns haha! I was in the airport last weekend when the man ban temp lifted. I very slyly made a few purchase while the wife wasn’t looking during our layover. Hope the 9th district court says it’s unconstitutional.

I also cast cast when I have time. Casting for handgun under 1100fps is pretty simple and fun.

Charlie Hinton
04-05-2019, 11:41 PM
Never leave home without one.

Malcolm McLeod
04-06-2019, 7:10 AM
... 9th district court says it’s unconstitutional. ...

RE: Original post - Yes I am.

Reading is required. Or, at least recommended.

Tim Bueler
04-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Love my 17 HMR and ground squirrel season. The latest addition to my home range is a bowling pin, at 100yds, hung from a rope in such a way that you can wind it up by shooting the small end. Then the challenge is seeing how long I can keep it wound. It's a hoot!

Steve Rozmiarek
04-06-2019, 11:07 AM
What a diverse list of ways to enjoy firearms! Reading this inspired me to go shoot a .22 today.

Dave Anderson NH
04-06-2019, 5:35 PM
I coach American Legion Junior Shooting Sports. Our 11-17 year old kids shoot 10 meter Olympic air rifle Our post just won a NRA Foundation grant to buy 7 more rifles and a bunch of accessories. This is precision shooting from prone, kneeling, and standing. The black on the targets is literally the size of a quarter with the 10 being a dot the size of a period on sheet of paper.

Al Launier
04-06-2019, 5:41 PM
My EDC is a G-43

Rich Engelhardt
04-06-2019, 6:33 PM
Mine's a S&W .45acp shield ;) or a Ruger LCP or a Sig 938

michael langman
04-06-2019, 6:49 PM
We need more people like you Dave. Getting the young ones into the sport is much needed. Air rifles are extremely accurate and a good discipline to learn.

Larry Edgerton
04-06-2019, 7:30 PM
I was born in a gun shop. True story.........

Tom M King
04-06-2019, 8:36 PM
Watching the Va./Auburn game, and for a Fox at the same time. I normally don't bother the Foxes, but this one pees, and poops all over the deck, barks right outside the house at night, and Pam can't let the chickens out any day, or he will get one. 10 seconds after the game was over, I slipped out, with no.4's in the .410 Youth Stevens I was given when I was 9 years old, and that Fox is no worry any more.

Bill Carey
04-07-2019, 10:30 AM
We need more people like you Dave. Getting the young ones into the sport is much needed. Air rifles are extremely accurate and a good discipline to learn.

My 10 yr old grandson wanted to go to the range with me and I didn't want to give him a .45 or 9mm so I bought him a Bersa 22. Dam thing jammed on almost every shot, and he quickly lost interest. Sold that (and took a beating on it) to a guy who said he could fix it and bought a Wather PPK/S and now he loves shooting with me. And he's a pretty good shot. We take the guns and the fishing poles and go to Willow Slough, shoot for a while and then hunt down the bluegills. Makes for a great day.

michael langman
04-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Blue gills make for delicious eating Bill. Much tastier then sunfish. My BIL has a walther 22, and it is a great little gun. I didn't have any children, and often wish I had, for the experiences such as yours.

Bill Carey
04-07-2019, 2:13 PM
Blue gills make for delicious eating Bill. Much tastier then sunfish. My BIL has a walther 22, and it is a great little gun. I didn't have any children, and often wish I had, for the experiences such as yours.

There's always Big Brothers and such - lotsa kids could use someone to show an interest in them.

michael langman
04-07-2019, 3:34 PM
When my wife is gone I will probably do something like that Bill. Their is alot of life going on right now.

Myk Rian
04-07-2019, 7:44 PM
My wife and I shoot every Monday morning at a local range.
I conceal carry a Glock G26 or G43 depending on where I'm going. My range gun is a G17. A Heritage 22 revolver is my varmint gun.
I reload about 10k 9mm year.

robert wiggins
04-08-2019, 4:26 PM
I have a few including a Stevens .22 Buckhorn my father purchased as his first and only gun needed on a farm in the 1920's. Cost new was around $3.75. Hind sight is said to be better of course and I can now see I should have been buying any hi-power rifle in 1959 for $85.00 at the PX in AK while serving my country. Beer seemed to be priority at the time.

Mike Cutler
04-09-2019, 5:01 PM
Hind sight is said to be better of course and I can now see I should have been buying any hi-power rifle in 1959 for $85.00 at the PX in AK while serving my country. Beer seemed to be priority at the time.

Yeah, those pre-64 Model 70's would be worth a pretty penny now.;)

julian abram
04-10-2019, 4:15 PM
Ok, I'll play. I'm a gun nut also. I have to continually fight between the hobbies, buy a new power tool for woodworking or new gun for fun.
Latest acquisition, CZ Shadow2. Too many guns and tools needed but not enough funds, the never ending dilemma.

michael langman
04-10-2019, 4:52 PM
Good choice of a semi auto Julian. I have decided on CZ's 75 over all others out there. The internal barrel ramp versus external is the best design ever in a semi auto pistol.

Scott Donley
04-10-2019, 4:55 PM
Ok, I'll play. I'm a gun nut also. I have to continually fight between the hobbies, buy a new power tool for woodworking or new gun for fun.
Latest acquisition, CZ Shadow2. Too many guns and tools needed but not enough funds, the never ending dilemma.

Just have to say, that is some dang nice shooting for 15 yards using WWB ammo. I know the Shadow 2 is a nice handgun, but dang !

julian abram
04-10-2019, 5:09 PM
Good choice of a semi auto Julian. I have decided on CZ's 75 over all others out there. The internal barrel ramp versus external is the best design ever in a semi auto pistol.

If you want to have a lot of inexpensive shooting fun with your CZ 75 buy the CZ 22 Kadet Kit to mount on your 75. Hours of fun for cheap. I have the .22 kit on my CZ85 and hardly ever take it off, it's the one gun that always goes in the range bag.

julian abram
04-10-2019, 5:15 PM
Just have to say, that is some dang nice shooting for 15 yards using WWB ammo. I know the Shadow 2 is a nice handgun, but dang !

Thank you. I own mostly Glocks, Walthers and 1911's. None of my guns compare to this CZ Shadow 2. It is a heavy gun made for competition, the factory trigger is so nice. Just point it and it almost shoots itself.

robert wiggins
04-10-2019, 5:19 PM
I had previously replied in this thread but now that reply doesn't seem to be here. Can someone inform me how to locate it? I searched around for information from the administration on this but didn't find anything in that category to click on.
Thanks

Bruce Page
04-10-2019, 8:30 PM
I had previously replied in this thread but now that reply doesn't seem to be here. Can someone inform me how to locate it? I searched around for information from the administration on this but didn't find anything in that category to click on.
Thanks

Robert, both of your posts are visible. Try switching your display to Linear in the Display dropdown, (gray bar above, upper right). Also, go into Settings > General Settings and scroll down to Number of Posts to Show Per Page, switch it to Show 40 Posts Per Page.

That should fix it for you.

julian abram
04-11-2019, 3:42 PM
Robert, both of your posts are visible. Try switching your display to Linear in the Display dropdown, (gray bar above, upper right). Also, go into Settings > General Settings and scroll down to Number of Posts to Show Per Page, switch it to Show 40 Posts Per Page.

Bruce, thanks for posting this. I've been on this site for few years and never could figure out why I could not see all the posts on a thread. You solved my dilemma.

Bruce Page
04-11-2019, 8:09 PM
Glad to help.

daryl moses
04-11-2019, 8:28 PM
I have a few, not much of a semi auto fan but I do love me some bolt actions, revolvers, and single shots.
Here is one of my favorites. TC Contender 14" custom trigger work, muzzle brake, G2 counter weighted forend, cerakoted, Kryptec Highlander graphics, Burris mount, Nikon Force BDC 2.5X8 scope, chambered in 30-30 A.I.

Monte Milanuk
04-11-2019, 10:51 PM
I do like me some bolt gun action....

robert wiggins
04-12-2019, 2:58 AM

Thanks for the tip. That makes things all better.

Lee Schierer
04-12-2019, 7:00 AM
Thanks

You can also go to your profile page and it will show your most recent posts.

robert wiggins
04-12-2019, 7:43 AM
Thanks, I did that for awhile attempting to locate what was where but that got old in a hurry. I'm one of those members that's still looking for the mouse, grew up with a outdoor toilet, no electricity, crank phone on the wall in a beautiful oak case, avoid 99 % of the acronyms, and try to avoid buying green bananas.:D