PDA

View Full Version : Router templates losening in use

Ray Newman
04-04-2019, 1:53 AM
Colleagues: I have a router template and locking ring that keep loosening. Tried tightening with soft jawed Channel Locks with no success.

Would Teflon pipe tape applied to the threads keep the template and ring tight?

Anyone have other ideas as to what might work?

Ken Waugh
04-04-2019, 7:35 AM
If it is a porter cable style us an oring

Al Launier
04-04-2019, 8:22 AM
O-ring is good if you can find the right size. Perhaps Blue Lock-tite (removable).

glenn bradley
04-04-2019, 8:29 AM
Teflon tape or a spring washer. I use spring washers with success. Peachtree item #2903 and WOW! have they gotten proud of those things! I think they were 50 cents each in a bucket at the WWing show 10 years ago. I am using the same pair I bought back then so, even at the current price they are cheap based on a per use cost.

Ray Newman
04-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Gents: thanks! I never thought of an O-ring. Again, thanks.

Rich Engelhardt
04-05-2019, 5:00 AM
Would Teflon pipe tape applied to the threads keep the template and ring tight?Something I picked up here @ SMC - that I wasn't aware of is:

Teflon tape doesn't act as a thread lock, all it does is add lubrication to the threads to allow them to be more easily tightened.

I don't recall who it was that mentioned that - other than it was someone who's input I trust.

Charles Lent
04-05-2019, 8:49 AM
Peach Tree Woodworking sells spring lock washers to prevent this. I've been using them for years. They last a very long time, unless you loose them.

https://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_bushing.htm Look down the page for #2903 Guide Bushing Spring Lock Washers 2 Pack $5.99

Charley

Richard Coers
04-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Guide bushing is the proper terminology. It can help with Googling solutions.

Ray Newman
04-05-2019, 12:24 PM
Porter-Cable on-line catalogues says claims "template guides": www.portercable.com/products/accessories/woodworking-accessories/specialty-accessories/template-guides

Probably 25+ years ago, I purchased the Porter Cable Kit #42000, the cardboard packing says "template guides." Amazon sells the same kit and the packing says the same.

So who is right?....