PDA

View Full Version : Jointer blade question

Rick Hubbard
04-03-2019, 3:16 PM
I have gotten an older Powermatic Model 50 jointer with some pretty sketchy blades that I doubt can be salvaged. There are replacement blades available but I’m cringing at the $90 plus price tag.

I did some rummaging around in my old tool parts and came up with a set of new-looking jointer blades (that may once been for an old Craftsman jointer). They are the same thickness as the Powermatic blades and within .0025 of the same width, however they are 1/8 inch longer than the Powermatic blades.

Dare I use these blades without taking them to the machine shop to be shortened?

Thanks for the advice

Lee Schierer
04-03-2019, 4:12 PM
Are there blade height adjusters in the head that you can lower?

Matt Day
04-03-2019, 4:12 PM
Should be fine as long as they don’t hit anything on a full revolution.

Andrew Hughes
04-03-2019, 4:45 PM
Are you sure they are worth the trouble. I have two sets of jointer knives from a vintages craftsman jointer and they are very soft might even be carbon steel. Super easy to sharpen but that’s the only good part.
Today I use M2 and t1. Just don’t buy anything buy good hss.

Geoff Crimmins
04-03-2019, 6:00 PM
If you buy them from someplace like Global Tooling of Holbren, a new set of knives is only about $20. At that price, I probably wouldn't mess with either set of used knives that you have. The $90 price must be direct from Powermatic.

Mel Fulks
04-03-2019, 6:08 PM
If you buy them from someplace like Global Tooling of Holbren, a new set of knives is only about $20. At that price, I probably wouldn't mess with either set of used knives that you have. The $90 price must be direct from Powermatic.
I like Powermatic ,but I don't know of any machine mfg that puts high grade knives in their new machines. I've used the
stock Powermatic knives . They are lousy and not priced on grade. Just brand. Take Andrew's advice.

Rick Hubbard
04-03-2019, 6:25 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I’ll give the ones I found a try to see how they last and cut.

Jimmy Smith
04-03-2019, 6:51 PM
Hello, Shorten the ones you have on a grinder, just don't get them too hot, well worth trying.