PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new bandsaw...help me out...

Tim M Tuttle
04-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Looking to get a new bandsaw. I resawed a 6 foot long 5" 8/4 piece of walnut last night on my little 10" WEN bandsaw and it about died. Took me a good 20 minutes to make the cut, stalled multiple times, but she did the job. I was pretty proud of her.

Regardless, I've wanted to get a new bandsaw for a while. Laguna is running a special for the month of April. There is the 14/12 and then the 14bx. I don't know much about bandsaws but the biggest difference here looks to be power. Most of what I will be doing is resawing walnut, maple and other hardwoods so the power would most definitely come in handy. I am also making a lot of cabinets so I will be using it to cut out toe kicks, etc.

The 14/12 is a little under $1000 right now and the 14bx is around $1350. The other options I am looking at are the Grizzly G0513X2F and G0513X2BF. They are 17" models. All of my options have 12" of resaw capacity.

Anyone able to point out more differences I am not seeing? Recommendations? Thanks

Jacques Gagnon
04-03-2019, 1:43 PM
Tim,

did you have look at Malcolm Schweiser’s review of the Rikon bandsaw he recently acquired? This could possibly be another option to consider.

John TenEyck
04-03-2019, 1:59 PM
More power = faster resawing. The ability to adequately tension a 3/4" blade would be an advantage, too, so that normally means looking for a saw rated for blades 1" wide, as few saws can put 25K psi on the largest blade they are rated for. Personally, I would go with a 17" saw because it will allow you to use thicker caliper blades that would not survive long around a 14" diameter wheel. For general use any of the 14" saws you mentioned will be fine, and some of them will work well for resawing, too, but you your choice of blades will be more limited.

John

andy bessette
04-03-2019, 2:05 PM
...Most of what I will be doing is resawing walnut, maple and other hardwoods...

Don't cheap out this time. You need a real resaw machine. A used MiniMax 16 is in the right price ballpark.

Justin Rapp
04-03-2019, 2:19 PM
Tim,

I just went through the same exact decision making process you are now starting. I tend to over-research so I went to woodworking shows to see the various common brands in person. At woodshows I saw Powermatic, Jet, Rikon however was unable to see Grizzly or Laguna as they just never had any setup there. I honestly was not happy about the fit and finish of the Rikon models. I know they have a big following but I felt the machine wasn't for me. I also dropped Grizzly. I know they make some fantastic equipment and some not-so good. For some reason, I always have Grizzly in my mix of machines and never pull the trigger on one and go another route.

So - was very close to going for a Jet JWBS-15 but honestly wanted more HP so I could cut logs without a stall or taking a long time for a cut, so the Laguna 14BX 2.5hp was now on my radar. I took the risk a few years ago with Laguna and purchased a 6" jointer from them and it's a fantastic machine. Fit and finish was great, works like a charm, is quite and one of my favorite tools. So I recently pulled the trigger and the Laguna 14BX was delivered to me last week. I spent time this past weekend getting it set-up and of course wiring a 220 circuit. I made a bunch of test cuts including resaw and am very impressed. I also really like the ceramic guides and the setup seems quick and easy compared to roller bearing guides.

From the prices you posted above on the 14BX at $1350, you are looking at the 2.5 HP model. The 1.75hp model running 110v is on sale most places for $1259 right now.

You might also want to contact Morgan at Laguna and see if he has a demo model available. My 14BX was a demo and from what I can tell, never cut a piece of wood. Was on display at a trade show and I save a fair amount of money. http://lagunatoolsoutlet.com/contact/

Good luck with you choice and keep us up to date on your research!

Justin Rapp
04-03-2019, 2:20 PM
Don't cheap out this time. You need a real resaw machine. A used MiniMax 16 is in the right price ballpark.

That is an amazing machine, but I think it comes in at $2K over what Tim is looking at in price.

andy bessette
04-03-2019, 2:25 PM
That is an amazing machine, but I think it comes in at $2K over what Tim is looking at in price.

I bought mine for $1500. Paid close to the same for my 20" Agazzani. OP is considering spending $1350 for a 14".

Justin Rapp
04-03-2019, 2:31 PM
I bought mine for $1500. Paid close to the same for my 20" Agazzani. OP is considering spending $1350 for a 14".

Wow $1500? Was it new? I just looked it up to get an idea what it cost and saw 3200 price tags.

andy bessette
04-03-2019, 2:39 PM
... Was it new?...

I don't tend to just throw my money away. :) Most of my machines could be resold for what I paid for them.

Tim M Tuttle
04-03-2019, 3:02 PM

The first thing I do every day is check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for tools. I've been looking for a bandsaw for a year. The used tool market in my area is terrible. I am afraid of how long it would take to hold out for that bandsaw. Not sure how big it is either but I need something that can be mobile.

Tim M Tuttle
04-03-2019, 3:03 PM
More power = faster resawing. The ability to adequately tension a 3/4" blade would be an advantage, too, so that normally means looking for a saw rated for blades 1" wide, as few saws can put 25K psi on the largest blade they are rated for. Personally, I would go with a 17" saw because it will allow you to use thicker caliper blades that would not survive long around a 14" diameter wheel. For general use any of the 14" saws you mentioned will be fine, and some of them will work well for resawing, too, but you your choice of blades will be more limited.

John

So you think the 14bx is out? This saw will get fairly infrequent use.

Tim M Tuttle
04-03-2019, 3:04 PM
Tim,

did you have look at Malcolm Schweiser’s review of the Rikon bandsaw he recently acquired? This could possibly be another option to consider.

I did not. Can you point me in the direction to where it can be found?

Justin Rapp
04-03-2019, 3:12 PM
The first thing I do every day is check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for tools. I've been looking for a bandsaw for a year. The used tool market in my area is terrible. I am afraid of how long it would take to hold out for that bandsaw. Not sure how big it is either but I need something that can be mobile.

I had a similar issue finding a re-sale machine. Most of the stuff on Craigslist and Facebook is either junk, an older machine that needs to be restored (which I have no interest in) or a clean, good machine, but almost the same price as new. Some people get lucky or have a great source.

If you get a Laguna, add the mobile base. It really makes moving the 270 lbs 14BX easy.

John TenEyck
04-03-2019, 3:45 PM
So you think the 14bx is out? This saw will get fairly infrequent use.

No, not at all. That's a very nice machine and I thought of buying one or the 14SUV while I was researching new saws, but finally decided to go big and got the G0636X. But that's in a completely different price (and weight) range. I ultimately decided against the 14" saws because you can't put a 1" blade on any of them and I wanted to slice lots and lots of 10"+ wide veneer. For typical hobby use, however, the 14BX and similar saws would be a great choice.

John

Matt Day
04-03-2019, 4:11 PM

That would be a great idea if used MM16’s start falling out of the sky.

Jacques Gagnon
04-03-2019, 5:51 PM
Tim,

My apologies, I misled you. Malcolm’s review was about his new Rikon drill press.

J.

Jim Becker
04-03-2019, 7:52 PM
Tim, if you can't find a stouter used Euro saw within reasonable distance, consider one of the heavier 16"-17"-18" Grizzly saws. A 14" saw is a 14" saw and they are not ideal for re-saw work for both stiffness and power reasons and the inability to tension the kind of blades that are generally preferred for that kind of activity. You CAN re-saw with a 14" saw as long as you are patient and are not doing it day-in-day-out, however. I'm very much a MiniMax fan and that's what I own, but what's most important is what you want to do with the tool and that dictates the size and capacities you need to go with, regardless of the color/brand.

Justin Rapp
04-03-2019, 8:09 PM
Jim,

I have the Laguna he is looking at and it is not a light-weight 14" saw and built for resaw (at the hobby level) . However, it can only go up to a 3/4" blade, however plenty of choices out there.

andy bessette
04-03-2019, 9:34 PM

The MiniMax machines are mobile. A beautiful one just sold on this forum a couple weeks ago. Broaden your geographical range.

I recently sold an 8" Powermatic jointer to a fellow in Kentucky. He paid Fastenal only $200 to ship it to him from Los Angeles area. They do what is called third party shipping. Absolutely no reason to wait a year with zero results.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-04-2019, 2:00 AM
Tim,

My apologies, I misled you. Malcolm’s review was about his new Rikon drill press.

J.

I got the stuff to hopefully wire up the bandsaw this weekend. I did get both drill press and bandsaw but only did a review on the drill press so far. That said, I did a whole lot of research before buying the Rikon. I have used a Jet 18” regularly that I do not like for various reasons that I won’t bash them on here. The reasons I went with Rikon was: 3hp motor, blade brake, easiest adjustment on the market in my opinion, very well made, great bang for the buck, and a lot of thought in the details on this machine, such as the included resaw attachment for the fence and the keyed lockout (I have a small child and my shop is in the house.) Really when comparing other saws I can only think of one thing on any other saw I really liked better, and it was a gimmick- the disc brake on the Laguna. It looked like a motorcycle brake, but do I need a vented disc brake over just a plain old brake on a bandsaw? Nah. On my Bike, yes, but on a bandsaw I didn’t see that it made enough difference. The easily adjustable guides on the Rikon were a real sell for me. I hate setting up the Jet that I have free use of.

I depended a lot on reviews in my research, but did have hands-on with Powermatic, Jet, Laguna, Grizzly, and some “old iron” before landing on the Rikon. (Edit: all were good but the Rikon for me was the most for the money.) Soon I hope to have a review. I have a lot of parts to cut out for the boat build and some resawing to do.

Still have to put her together, which is bolting on the table and a few other parts and wiring the plug. I just redid three rooms in my house- busy week. No time.

Jacob Reverb
04-04-2019, 8:20 AM
Tim,

+1

Been pleased with my 18" Rikon 10-345...

Matthew Hills
04-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Looking to get a new bandsaw. I resawed a 6 foot long 5" 8/4 piece of walnut last night on my little 10" WEN bandsaw and it about died. Took me a good 20 minutes to make the cut, stalled multiple times, but she did the job. I was pretty proud of her.

Was this with a reasonably sharp, low-tpi blade?

Sounds like you had fun in the end!
(and sounds better than my early attempts to "resaw" 2" of maple with a scroll saw -- but the project got done in the end!)

Matt

Tim M Tuttle
04-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Was this with a reasonably sharp, low-tpi blade?

Sounds like you had fun in the end!
(and sounds better than my early attempts to "resaw" 2" of maple with a scroll saw -- but the project got done in the end!)

Matt

It has a fairly new Wood Slicer from Highland Woodworking. I think it's 4tpi.

Tim M Tuttle
04-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Okay, so I've read up quite a bit the last couple of days on bandsaws. Especially Laguna vs Grizzly. Here's what I've gathered...

Laguna can have spotty customer service. I've heard it's great and I've heard it's awful
I've heard very little negative about Grizzly's customer service

Laguna has ceramic guides to Grizzly's bearing. Everyone seems to love ceramic guides. I have no idea why one is better than the other so if anyone has any info there I'd appreciate it.

After reading more I think I am leaning more towards the 17-19" range. Specifically, the Laguna 18bx, Grizzly G0514X2, or Grizzly G0513X2BF. The bigger Grizzly and the 18bx are about the same price right now with Laguna's discount.

Fit and finish overall seems to favor Laguna. Not that Grizzly's arent good but the chances for a lemon from Grizzly are higher it appears.

One the warranty side Laguna wins 2 years to 1.

Overall, Laguna has more bells and whistles but I am not sure how much those bells and whistles will benefit me. Any other thoughts from you all on these saws would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

andy bessette
04-05-2019, 10:29 AM
...I've heard very little negative about Grizzly's customer service...

You really didn't try hard enough. Theirs is one of the worst in the industry and there are plenty of posts right here on SMC to back this up.

Nick Decker
04-05-2019, 10:40 AM
I think you're very wise to lean toward the 17-18" range. Very little difference in shop footprint, big difference in what blades you can properly tension. I have a 14" Rikon. No problems with it, other than I wish I'd gone for a larger model. Most manufacturers, Rikon included, will advertise their saws as being able to "accept" a larger blade than they should. It won't take you long to confirm that. Buying a 3/4" blade for my Rikon was a waste of money. With a 1/2" blade, it's a very good 14" saw.

I can't speak to Grizzly, but I did closely compare Rikon and Laguna before buying. While the Laguna did seem to have a bit better fit and finish, the Rikon just seemed stronger. No nonsense might be a way I'd describe it. Couple that with the sketchy Laguna customer service that you mentioned, I went with Rikon.

Edit: I respectfully disagree with Andy's post. The impression that I have, from reading posts here, is that Grizzly's customer service is good.

Malcolm McLeod
04-05-2019, 11:03 AM
I've had the Rikon 18" 10-370 (2.5hp) for 4-5yrs, and have not had any complaints.

Re-sawing 8-9" wide cherry and 10"w beech have been easy. I've occasionally run a poor quality 1" 2.5tpi blade on it - probably not ideal, but it worked.

Rod Sheridan
04-05-2019, 11:27 AM
I'll pile on with a recommendation for saws in the 17" range as opposed to the 14" range.

Being able to tension a 3/4" 2 or 3 TPI blade will make a big difference in resaw ability..........Regards, Rod.

Chapel Eastland
04-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Ordered a Grizzly 17" 513X2BF yesterday from Amazon. 1680.00 w/free shipping, no tax. Paid an additional 80.00 for an additional 4 year warranty.

Already heard from Grizzly advising it should be delivered next week with lift-gate service at no additional charge.

You can hear good service/bad service stories all day from all vendors and owners. In the end, this Grizzly gave me the best bandsaw bang for my bucks and what I want to do. In particular I wanted a switch and foot brake.

I looked at Laguna, Rikon, Powermatic, Jet, but went with the Grizzly. I'm not fond of the Laguna ceramic guides, the Powermatic 14" is old tech and hasn't been updated, the Rikon left me cold and underwhelmed, and the Jet wasn't for me.

So you see I have my biases, valid or not. Others will say the same/similar about Grizzly.

In the end, you pay your money and hopefully get what you want, and find out it's the bandsaw operator who brings the best out of each bandsaw.

Cary Falk
04-05-2019, 11:34 AM
I current have a Grizzly G0513X2. It is a fantastic but I want something with a larger resaw. I have ceramic guides from Spaceage Ceramics on my saw. Do they do a better job than the bearings? I am not sure. They are much quieter which I appreciate. You can get them for Rikon as well. They probably not as easy to adjust as the Laguna ones. Not trying to hijack this thread but I have it narrowed down to the G0701, Laguna LT18 and the Rikon 10-347. The things I don't like about the Laguna are no below table dust port and it has only 18" resaw conmpaired to the other two at 19". The Laguna and Grizzly are roughly the same price by the time you factor shipping and tax for the Grizzly. I have always had great luck with Grizzly. Grizzly probably sells more equipment to hobbiest then all the other manufactures combined so you will see more complaints. I have delt with CS only a couple of times in the last 15 or so years and never had an issue with the results. Ther Rikon makes the list because it has everything on my list and the cost is almost half of the other 2. That also makes me wonder where the cost savings is and if I am going to spend this kind of money I want a serious saw. It is also about 200# lighter than the Grizzly and 150# less than the Laguna. That should muddie the water more for you:D

Jack Frederick
04-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Back east I had an LT-16 Laguna and loved it. It did not make the move west. I picked up the 14BX and for my hobbyist needs it has been very good. No it won't throw a 1" blade, but I've resaw 10" white oak, walnut, redwood (easy). I don't push my equipment. Sure the oak took was slow, but it came out well. I have found that I get in trouble when I don't get the saw set up on the in/out feed. If I properly support the material the BX has done an excellent job. If I don't have a stable platform all hell breaks loose.

Jon Singer
04-05-2019, 6:45 PM
Back east

Have we met? Pretty sure you had a Golf 2002 and a Turbo? I think you were a welder maybe? Or pipefitter? Something in a Trade. I could swear I met a guy with same name at a car show in CT two years in a row. Was probably pushing 20 years ago so who knows... I have a Florida green 1600 and parked next to a Golf yellow 2002 two years in a row. (I don't remember if this guy's car was square or round tails.)

If that sounds like Chinese to you and makes zero sense then I'm sorry. Just weird so I had to say something. If you are the same guy all I remember is your cars were cool and your wife was really nice and friendly. Good car show neighbors.

Justin Rapp
04-06-2019, 9:35 AM
Back east I had an LT-16 Laguna and loved it. It did not make the move west. I picked up the 14BX and for my hobbyist needs it has been very good. No it won't throw a 1" blade, but I've resaw 10" white oak, walnut, redwood (easy). I don't push my equipment. Sure the oak took was slow, but it came out well. I have found that I get in trouble when I don't get the saw set up on the in/out feed. If I properly support the material the BX has done an excellent job. If I don't have a stable platform all hell breaks loose.

I like my 14BX also - and yes for hobby needs it's great, esp if you go with 2.5HP motor. The OP has a small saw now and this would be a huge upgrade. I know a lot of folks on here keep pushing for bigger, like 16 or 18 however you all need to consider what his needs and space are. If the OP spends a few hours a week in his shop and plans to occasionally resaw some 10 inch or so boards, the 14BX will be just fine. If he plans to resaw 100 linear feet of 12 inch boards, brake down 250 lbs logs for huge turning blanks, yes, a bigger saw is in order.

Many people (hobby and production shops) get along with a 14" 1hp bandsaw just fine. It is 100% about the users needs!

Jack Frederick
04-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Yes, I was a fitter/welder years ago and then went into the business end of the business. both shows were at Lime Rock, eh? The Golf was a '72 so round, The Turbo '75 so square light. The '72 went when my daughter had a health problem and her paid for insurance refused coverage, so I sold the '72. I never brought the Turbo west. I didn't have a garage on the property. I sold the Turbo and built my shop with some of the proceeds. I am out of 2002's now. I brought my best obsessive compulsive side to my cars and spend vast amounts of cash on them, so I am out of them. They were both basket cases when I got them and I literally replaced every nut and bolt on both of those cars. Madness! Miss it though and of course the community. Many good friends. Do you still have the 1600?
To bring this back around, Justin, I agree with those supporting the bigger saws, but as you say, how much is to much for the way you work? The 2.5 BX is a 220v machine is easy to set up. Dust collection is quite good. The fence is very good. It is a real nice saw for the hobbyist. I will be going down to buy Martin's 8" jointer this week, if it will stop raining. I hope he sells that 18" band saw before I get there;) Reference the above on obsessive compulsive.

Justin Rapp
04-08-2019, 5:32 PM
Okay, so I've read up quite a bit the last couple of days on bandsaws. Especially Laguna vs Grizzly. Here's what I've gathered...

Laguna can have spotty customer service. I've heard it's great and I've heard it's awful
I've heard very little negative about Grizzly's customer service

Laguna has ceramic guides to Grizzly's bearing. Everyone seems to love ceramic guides. I have no idea why one is better than the other so if anyone has any info there I'd appreciate it.

Tim,

I was very close to going with an 18BX over the 14BX but just could not justify the cost for what I use the saw for. So - buy a saw size that fits your needs, not a saw that others tell you to buy based on their needs. If you are always resawing large boards, pushing big logs through to make boards or larger turning pieced, then bigger is better and you won't be regret it later.

Ceramic guides are really great - from what I can tell, it's less fuss to align them and also less moving parts.

Customer Service - well, everyone can tell you a good and bad story about customer service. I 'heard' Laguna had bad CS years back. I don't think that is much of an issue as it used to be. The issues with Grizzly - much larger company so maybe some people got good CS people on the phone and other people got someone who wasn't as helpful. However, the point of getting a better machine with less chance of a lemon also means you won't need to call customer servce!

lowell holmes
04-08-2019, 5:51 PM
I have 14" Jet with a riser block.

Mike Kees
04-08-2019, 7:31 PM
Tim I do not have newer bandsaws. The only new saw that I have had a chance to really check out in person was a Rikon the newest 14" that was in Lee Valley in Calgary. It is a very impressive saw. Tool less blade guides,rack and pinion gear for table tilt,an excellent resaw fence . If I was just a hobby woodworker this saw would meet 90 % of my bandsaw needs. I have a Delta with riser block as my do everything/small saw. And a Centauro CO 600 that is not quite in service yet. I just sold a 18" Steel city saw. When it was in my shop it was my favorite by far. In fact I would have kept it if it was my only bandsaw in the shop. I would also be in the 17/18" bandsaw camp,they can do anything smaller saws do and you have bigger tables,more throat depth and greater resaw capacity. Not trying to up sell you here Tim ,just trying to help you save a step in the upgrade department. Good luck,Mike.

robert wiggins
04-08-2019, 7:53 PM
New to band saws and reading that a wider blade is superior for re-sawing. Would you knowledgeable bandsaw folks explain what makes a 1" blade superior to a 3/4" or a 1/2" blade for re-sawing.

andy bessette
04-08-2019, 9:16 PM
Generally the wider the blade the straighter the cut.

Another great benefit to the larger saws is blade life. A 14" wheel is likely to break blades more frequently than a larger saw, due to the blade being bent around such a small radius. And obviously the longer blades cut more lineal feet due to having more teeth.

Jim Becker
04-09-2019, 9:38 AM
Robert, for re-saw work...which is primarily straight lines in generally thicker material...the wider blade contributes to the process by essentially becoming part of the "guide" system as it tracks in the kerf. The longer the distance between the front of the blade and the back of the blade increases the lateral force necessary to deflect the cut direction. As Andy mentions, there are trade-offs. Wider blades typically require higher tension to operate well and they also don't tend to like being bent around smaller saw wheel sizes. So there are practical limits for a given machine. I'll add that even though a given saw's specification might say it can support up to an x" wide blade, from a practical standpoint, it's often safer to assume that the "next size down" is likely a better choice for blade life, etc.

Tim M Tuttle
04-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I think I've narrowed it down to the Laguna 18bx. Everytime I say that though I start to have second thoughts and ponder the Grizzly G0514X2 again. Anyone have any cons for the 18bx?

Doug Dawson
04-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I think I've narrowed it down to the Laguna 18bx. Everytime I say that though I start to have second thoughts and ponder the Grizzly G0514X2 again. Anyone have any cons for the 18bx?

I'm perfectly happy with my 18bx. It's on sale for 10% off right now. What's not to like.

Ohh, Laguna can take a while to ship stuff that they don't have in the warehouse. Like, a _while_.

Get the mobility kit with it.

Robert Hazelwood
04-09-2019, 11:34 AM
New to band saws and reading that a wider blade is superior for re-sawing. Would you knowledgeable bandsaw folks explain what makes a 1" blade superior to a 3/4" or a 1/2" blade for re-sawing.

To resist the natural tendency for the blade to wander and follow the grain instead of your cut line, you want the band to be as rigid as possible. All else equal, with the same tension psi, a wider/thicker band will be more rigid. This also means you can feed the stock through faster without bowing the blade. However it takes more absolute force to tension a wider/thicker band, and if your saw can't provide it then you wouldn't see any improvement. So for a lot of hobby machines you may well get better results from a blade that is a size or two narrower than the max you can fit on the machine. A sharp, well set-up 3/8 or 1/2 blade with the proper tooth spacing and geometry can resaw nicely, but you can't shove the wood through like you could on an industrial resaw.

A secondary thing is that the industrial quality carbide tipped resaw blades are usually only offered in widths of 1" and up. The 3/4" Resaw King is the smallest one I can think of.

Doug Dawson
04-09-2019, 11:49 AM
To resist the natural tendency for the blade to wander and follow the grain instead of your cut line, you want the band to be as rigid as possible. All else equal, with the same tension psi, a wider/thicker band will be more rigid. This also means you can feed the stock through faster without bowing the blade. However it takes more absolute force to tension a wider/thicker band, and if your saw can't provide it then you wouldn't see any improvement. So for a lot of hobby machines you may well get better results from a blade that is a size or two narrower than the max you can fit on the machine. A sharp, well set-up 3/8 or 1/2 blade with the proper tooth spacing and geometry can resaw nicely, but you can't shove the wood through like you could on an industrial resaw.

A secondary thing is that the industrial quality carbide tipped resaw blades are usually only offered in widths of 1" and up. The 3/4" Resaw King is the smallest one I can think of.

The Resaw King also comes in a half-inch width. It's the blade I default to on my Laguna 18bx (when I'm not resawing.)

An inadequately tensioned blade will also tend to "flap", giving a rougher cut than it should. There was this one guy on Youtube that went thru eight (eight!) iterations of trying to get his Resaw King to cut smoothly, without tensioning it properly. Totally unnecessary (although I think his saw couldn't really support it.)

Chapel Eastland
04-09-2019, 12:06 PM
My new Grizzly 513X2BF just arrived 10 minutes ago. Ordered it from Amazon on Thursday afternoon. It arrived before lunch on Tuesday. Fast shipping. And the trucker who brought it helped me take off the crate and delivered it into my shop where it's going to be set-up. I did give him 20 bucks for his extra help and was glad to do so.

Through all the searching for a bandsaw for my needs I did decide that a motor switch and foot brake were neccessities. It was about 200 bucks more, but will save time and is a big safety factor in my perspective.

Yonak Hawkins
04-09-2019, 12:07 PM
I have a 14" Rikon. No problems with it ....

I have a Rikon 10-325, 14" band saw. I like it quite well. I like the quick blade change feature. I can change a blade, start to finish, literally, in minutes. However, the motor runs pretty hot and I had to get rid of that plastic window in front of the blade right away as it gets fairly opaque with sawdust. All in all it's a robust and user-friendly saw.

Nick Decker
04-09-2019, 4:16 PM
Yonak, mine is the 10-326. Motor doesn't get hot, but I recall reading that it's a different motor than what was used on your saw. Also haven't seen any dust build-up on the little plastic window. I use it every time I adjust blade tracking.

Yonak Hawkins
04-09-2019, 4:36 PM
... plastic window. I use it every time I adjust blade tracking.

Nick, I'm talking about the window in front of the blade at the bottom of the blade guard, through which one must look to follow the cutting path, not the window in the side of the top cabinet to view wheel tracking.

Nick Decker
04-09-2019, 6:18 PM
OK, this one?

On mine, it's never collected dust either. Maybe a difference in the guides or the dust collection port?

My lower guides collect some dust, but I just hit them with a some air every now and then. As you know, some woods leave more goop behind than others.

Lenny Howard
04-09-2019, 7:03 PM
Certainly a lot of choices. It can get overwhelming.
I really like my Grizzly GO513X2F and haven't regretted buying it for a second.
At work, we replaced our old Delta with the Rikon 10-326. We only use it with smaller blades (and tasks) as we have a 24" Grizzly with a 1" carbide blade for all resawing needs. So far the Rikon has been great. I wouldn't trade my Grizzly for it but it's available for less money and has the tool less guides.

James Cheever
04-09-2019, 7:51 PM
Another vote for the 18BX. I love mine and resawing is a snap. Definitely get the mobility kit.

andy bessette
04-09-2019, 8:06 PM
Another vote for the 18BX...

That looks like quite a nice machine.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 9:04 AM

You can buy so much more used.....really.

I have an Oliver 192, a Powermatic 87, and a 14 inch walker turner. All for about the price of the 14 BX. Don't need another band saw but I have seen lots of Italian machines cheap. I may just give in and add #4.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 9:05 AM

And again...used market...several Italian band saws I have seen for relatively short money.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 9:06 AM
I'll pile on with a recommendation for saws in the 17" range as opposed to the 14" range.

Being able to tension a 3/4" 2 or 3 TPI blade will make a big difference in resaw ability..........Regards, Rod.

Quoted for truth.

Tim M Tuttle
04-10-2019, 10:04 AM
And again...used market...several Italian band saws I have seen for relatively short money.

Where are you finding these? Craigslist?

Cary Falk
04-10-2019, 11:18 AM
You can buy so much more used.....really.

Maybe, Maybe not. Location, Location, Location. Everybody's used market is not the same. My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years but in excellent condition. It takes time to constantly watch CL. Then there is having to deal with CL folks. The more I buy and sell on CL the more I hate it.

Doug Dawson
04-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Maybe, Maybe not. Location, Location, Location. Everybody's used market is not the same. My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years but in excellent condition. It takes time to constantly watch CL. Then there is having to deal with CL folks. The more I buy and sell on CL the more I hate it.

Likewise. Down here the only things you see locally are rusted out hulks with half the parts missing. I just can't be bothered to buy somebody else's tool that's been badly abused or used up. That's not woodworking. That's the scrap metal market, and I won't be the middleman there.

I'd LOVE to be able to find good quality tools on the used market, but they're never there when I need them, and similarly they're too close to retail when they do show up.

Nick Decker
04-10-2019, 11:32 AM
About the only worthwhile stuff at a good price that I've seen around here on Craig's List is stuff that I was selling. And yes, it went fast.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 11:41 AM
I like my 14BX also - and yes for hobby needs it's great, esp if you go with 2.5HP motor. The OP has a small saw now and this would be a huge upgrade. I know a lot of folks on here keep pushing for bigger, like 16 or 18 however you all need to consider what his needs and space are. If the OP spends a few hours a week in his shop and plans to occasionally resaw some 10 inch or so boards, the 14BX will be just fine. If he plans to resaw 100 linear feet of 12 inch boards, brake down 250 lbs logs for huge turning blanks, yes, a bigger saw is in order.

Many people (hobby and production shops) get along with a 14" 1hp bandsaw just fine. It is 100% about the users needs!

I know of a number of production shops with 14 inch saws where people get along just fine. However...would personally rather have extra capacity.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Not a one. It will be one heck of a saw. If I ever add a modern saw and it is not Italian, this will be on my short list.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 11:43 AM
My new Grizzly 513X2BF just arrived 10 minutes ago. Ordered it from Amazon on Thursday afternoon. It arrived before lunch on Tuesday. Fast shipping. And the trucker who brought it helped me take off the crate and delivered it into my shop where it's going to be set-up. I did give him 20 bucks for his extra help and was glad to do so.

Through all the searching for a bandsaw for my needs I did decide that a motor switch and foot brake were neccessities. It was about 200 bucks more, but will save time and is a big safety factor in my perspective.

Considering how long it can take for these saws to stop spinning, yes.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Maybe, Maybe not. Location, Location, Location. Everybody's used market is not the same. My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years but in excellent condition. It takes time to constantly watch CL. Then there is having to deal with CL folks. The more I buy and sell on CL the more I hate it.I pretty much only deal with other wood workers. Craigslist is pretty much a bust. I have bought from cabinet shops closing down and the like.

andy bessette
04-10-2019, 12:39 PM
...I just can't be bothered...

... My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years...

Finding bargains on excellent machinery takes effort, unless you are very lucky. Most are too lazy to find the bargains, or just don't have the determination; they look at their local c/l ads once in awhile, don't find just what they want right away, give up and buy cheap new machines. My 2 metal cutting bandsaws were found on eBay and shipped to Los Angeles from Florida.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Where are you finding these? Craigslist?

That and other wood workers. Word of mouth is your friend.

Chris Hachet
04-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Finding bargains on excellent machinery takes effort, unless you are very lucky. Most are too lazy to find the bargains, or just don't have the determination; they look at their local c/l ads once in awhile, don't find just what they want right away, give up and buy cheap new machines. My 2 metal cutting bandsaws were found on eBay and shipped to Los Angeles from Florida.Probably beyond what most people are willing to do....but being able to hook up three phase machines to an RPC or VFD and move heavy items will get you serious tools for cheap.

One of my local woodworking friends got an Oliver 94 5 HP cutoff saw for less than the cost of a plastic sliding compound saw. It took some cleaning and tuning but it will cut anything.

Justin Rapp
04-10-2019, 1:34 PM

It's a great choice!!!! With the sale going on now, hopefully they stocked up the warehouse in preparation so you get a quick ship. Both of my Laguna tools were shipped fast, day or two after ordering.

Tom Levy
04-10-2019, 1:59 PM
Not usually how things go for me, but the dice fell lucky for me on buying a bandsaw. Found a floor model Rikon 10-353 with full warranty for $550. Had a few dings, but otherwise was like new. I had originally wanted an 18" model, but can't say no to the price on that one. Super happy with it's performance.

Tim M Tuttle
04-10-2019, 3:06 PM
It's a great choice!!!! With the sale going on now, hopefully they stocked up the warehouse in preparation so you get a quick ship. Both of my Laguna tools were shipped fast, day or two after ordering.

I am 99.9% sure I'll be going with the 18bx. I am going to end up spending about $800 more than I had hoped but I am fully embracing the "buy once, cry once" mindset.

lee cox
04-27-2019, 6:30 PM
I sold a blue almost new 14 inch Rikon and for the same money I bought a used Minimax S45 bandsaw. It was the best deal I ever did. The S45 had a little rust on the table but no pits. It cleaned up well.

Allan Speers
04-27-2019, 8:22 PM
For resawing, I'd definitely want at least a 17" wheel. That gives you more options re blade width, thickness and stiffness. (As in carbide)

That Laguna does look good, and it has a decent fence, too. - You can even upgrade to the Driftmaster fence without re-drilling the table.

Seems like a great "cry once" purchase.

Justin Rapp
04-30-2019, 2:30 PM
I know of a number of production shops with 14 inch saws where people get along just fine. However...would personally rather have extra capacity.

It all depends on what you are using the saw for. No need to have an 18 wheel tractor trailer to move what would fit in a 16 foot box truck!

Chris Hachet
04-30-2019, 3:54 PM
It all depends on what you are using the saw for. No need to have an 18 wheel tractor trailer to move what would fit in a 16 foot box truck!

Exactly. Although right at 18 or 20 inches seems to be the sweet spot for a shop tool that will do 98 percent of what people ask of it.

andy bessette
04-30-2019, 4:45 PM
Exactly. Although right at 18 or 20 inches seems to be the sweet spot for a shop tool that will do 98 percent of what people ask of it.

I would call it 16-20 so it included the MiniMax 16, which is extraordinarily capable.

Rich Joki
04-30-2019, 7:32 PM
I have a Laguna 14SUV bandsaw (currently with a 3/4" Resaw King) and their 6" Sheartec II jointer. Absolutely love them both. A little bit bigger for both would have been nice, but not essential for my needs. Space and budget were certainly factors, and I think that I got a lot of quality for my money. BTW, I got the bandsaw on a scratch sale, but there is no visible scratch to be found. Morgan was more than helpful. Next is a Fusion III table saw.

Justin Rapp
05-01-2019, 12:03 PM
I have a Laguna 14SUV bandsaw (currently with a 3/4" Resaw King) and their 6" Sheartec II jointer. Absolutely love them both. A little bit bigger for both would have been nice, but not essential for my needs. Space and budget were certainly factors, and I think that I got a lot of quality for my money. BTW, I got the bandsaw on a scratch sale, but there is no visible scratch to be found. Morgan was more than helpful. Next is a Fusion III table saw.

Morgan helped me out on my 14BX 220v also on a 'scratch sale' but it showed up flawless. I also have the same jointer and couldn't be happier (unless I had an 8" jointer).

Kevin Groenke
05-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Here's a good deal if you want to take a little drive. Unfortunaty it is 3ph and resaw capacity is only 9".

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/d/inver-grove-heights-centauro-bandsaw/6878451075.html

IMO Grizzly's mediocre reputation for quality and customer service is a remnant from 10+ years ago and they have come a long way in those years. I really like that you can order nearly any part for a Grizzly machine directly from their webpage and that the majority of parts are in stock and reasonably priced. This contrasts significantly with horror stories about long waits for expensive parts from Laguna

I have 17" Grizzly bandsaws at work and home and find them to be durable, capable workhorses. I have the 025"x1/2" TriMaster in it which will resaw green or dry, do a nice job with tenons and details and is small enough to do arcs and such which a 1" blade would struggle with.

I think much of Grizzly's reputation of lesser quality is also due to their image and catalog vs retail(Rikon) and niche(Laguna) brands.

If I were in the same boat as you, I would probably be buying a Grizzly G0514X2 or for a bit less $ the G0513X2F.