PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have success in making DIY Sawstop Table saw inserts?

Rick Pinzon
04-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Anyone have success in making DIY Sawstop Table saw inserts? Im interested in making inserts but I have not anything specific to DIY Sawstop inserts. Ideally it would be nice to make something similar to the infinitytools version where the center section is replaceble. I can buy it of course but I figure why not give it a try in making one if possible.

Jack Frederick
04-02-2019, 11:38 AM
it has been a couple years, but I believe there was an article in FWW which showed the dimensions of the SS with relief cuts and all.

Roger Feeley
04-02-2019, 12:43 PM
I have the infinity tools insert. But years ago, I made my own using a Sawstop insert. I just used a dovetail router bit and routed a recess in the top of the SS plate into which I put tight fitting maple inserts. When my wife bought me the Infinity tools one, I gave the one I made to my doctor.

Bob Landel
04-02-2019, 3:45 PM
I need to see a picture. I have no idea what you are talking about.

David Buchhauser
04-02-2019, 4:51 PM
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk66IacfJ6o)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk66IacfJ6o

407050 407051

Brian Deakin
04-02-2019, 5:19 PM
I took the following approach

First I measured the thickness of the original insert with a pair of calipers I then went to a store which sold laminate flooring and using the calipers identified a piece of laminate flooring of the same thickness

To make a copy of the original insert I cut a slightly oversized insert I attached the to the original insert with double sided tape then used a router bit with a guide bearing to copy the profile

Terry Wawro
04-02-2019, 5:20 PM
I read a post somewhere that claimed they their insert was too chipped up to give clean cuts. They taped over the top of the blades groove in the insert then flipped it over and filled the groove with epoxy. Waited overnight then re-cut the opening like it was a new insert.

Frank Pratt
04-02-2019, 5:57 PM
I took the following approach

First I measured the thickness of the original insert with a pair of calipers I then went to a store which sold laminate flooring and using the calipers identified a piece of laminate flooring of the same thickness

To make a copy of the original insert I cut a slightly oversized insert I attached the to the original insert with double sided tape then used a router bit with a guide bearing to copy the profile

The SawStop insert has relief cuts in the under side, without which range of movement of the blade will be restricted. They are complex to reproduce without removing excessive amounts of material.

Charles Taylor
04-02-2019, 6:04 PM
The SawStop insert has relief cuts in the under side, without which range of movement of the blade will be restricted. They are complex to reproduce without removing excessive amounts of material.

I haven't seen one. Is the relief more complex than a non-through cut with a dado stack? Commercially made inserts (and of course many DIY inserts) for saws like my Unisaw are done that way.

glenn bradley
04-02-2019, 8:23 PM

For a long time I would just refresh mine with epoxy.

407055 407057

Charles Taylor
04-02-2019, 9:43 PM
Now I know. Thanks!

J.R. Rutter
04-03-2019, 1:27 PM
I've made a few solid wood inserts to do specific cuts, I just dadoed out some cross grain cuts where needed (you don't have to be precise as long as it creates clearance and still sits solidly in the opening). Now I have the Infinity version and just cut long strips of 1/4" MDF core material to do a batch of new inserts every couple of years.

Rick Potter
04-03-2019, 3:26 PM
A couple days ago, I saw a youtube video about making saw blade inserts. It didn't say what brand saw it was but it was definitely a SS. It had the handle on the original one he copied.

It was fairly straight forward, and looked like it fit well.

You will have to hunt, but it is there.

Rick Pinzon
04-03-2019, 3:44 PM
I looked specificallyn the past for a diy sawstop insert video but did not find any. Let me know if you find the link.