PDA

View Full Version : PM100 12" planer vs JET JWP-15CS

Dustin talbott
04-01-2019, 8:29 AM
Hey Folks,

In need of a little guidance. I recently picked up an older (70's) Powermatic PM100 12" planer. I tuned it up and it is running pretty well aside from dealing with snipe issues.

I found a Jet JWP-15CS (prob mid 80s) that looks to be in decent shape that I am considering going to (and selling the PM100). This would at least give me a few more inches of width and I think would be sufficient for my shop and use.

I plan to upgrade to a shelix head and I am a little hesitant to do so on the 12". Seems like a pretty hefty investment on only a 12" planer. Granted the thing is built like a tank and will likely last me forever (if I don't ever upgrade to a larger one)

My question is, if you could have one of these machines, which one would you keep and why?

glenn bradley
04-01-2019, 8:50 AM
The 15" machine is a known entity as far as clones go; I say this as a positive, not a negative. If it has the roller infeed and outfeed you may want to look into getting tables for snipe control. Maybe someone with rollers can chime in if that is what you will have. I believe reading here, they can be problematic when it comes to adjustment. If I am mis-remembering, please disregard.

I know there is a camp that just accepts snipe but, it is forbidden in my shop through attentive machine setup ;-) I can say the Grizzly version (G0453Z) is snip free with rare exceptions of lively material. I do agree that some machines are always going to give you some snipe due to feed path problems that are not correctable through adjustment.

Geoff Crimmins
04-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Really, it comes down to what size of planer your want or need. It may also depend on which machine in is better condition. The Powermatic is a much better planer, and there's not much that's likely to go wrong with it if you keep everything lubricated. But none of that matters if you need a 15" planer. You should be able to minimize snipe with it by adjusting the chipbreaker, pressure bar, and bed rollers.

Carl Beckett
04-01-2019, 10:59 AM
I had a Jet 15" planer like that for years. It was a workhorse and I would not hesitate to get another.

I now have a 12" combo. So far, 12" has been sufficient. I dont tend to work with stock over 12" wide. Some glueups but those usually go through the widebelt after glueup

Mike Cutler
04-01-2019, 2:26 PM
Both are nice machines that should last a lifetime if taken care of.
I've had my 15" Jet for close to 20 years now, and have never regretted buying it. It is only now beginning to show signs that it needs some attention.
Glenn is correct about the indeed out feed rollers. They're pretty junky and don't work well. Many folks just fabricate a carrier table to create a long flat reference surface.
I would probably be inclined to keep the Jet, if I was going to invest in a new cutter head. Even though the Powermatic was the better built machine.

David Stone (CT)
04-01-2019, 10:21 PM
Based on your questions and mention that you acquired your current PM 100 just recently, I'm going to assume you're somewhat new to planers. If I'm wrong about that, apologies. But if I'm right, my suggestion is to stick with what you've got--at least for now--and focus on learning the ins and outs of the machine you have and its capabilities. Specifically, how to get the knives properly set and how to adjust the pressure bar, the bed rollers and the infeed and outfield rollers to make it work well as possible and minimize snipe. The Powermatic Model 100 is a wonderful, simple machine-- I have one-- and, even though it's been out of production for years, there's a wealth of info out there about how to set it up and fix it--especially at the Old Woodworking Machinery website. ...As for 12 inches vs. 15 inches of width, I can't see that as a big deal. 12 inches is enough to process the vast majority of boards most of us use and 15 inches is not necessarily sufficiently wider to provide much extra help with glue ups or genuinely wide boards or slabs. (And consider that the original Delta four post planer that all the clones were knocked off from was a 13 inch model.)

Joe Jensen
04-02-2019, 1:07 AM
The PM100 has a pressure bar the holds the wood tight to the table. A pressure bar is a key component and must be adjusted precisely. The knives must be set relative to the pressure bar. I am fairly certain the 15" four post import planers do not have a pressure bar. I have a 12" PM100 that I bought new in 1990 for $2700, Yep, PM was expensive back then. I put a Byrd in it like 10 years ago. I personally feel a planer without a pressure bar is a big step down.

Carl Beckett
04-02-2019, 7:27 AM
I learn something every day. A google search came up with the attached diagram of a pressure bar.

Dustin talbott
04-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Thanks all for your feedback. I've had several planers in the past, both lunch box style. First was a Makita 2012NB and then I picked up a DW735 with a shelix head. So the PM100 is my first "real" planer. It was in fairly good shape cosmetically (considering it's age) but I went through it all and cleaned and tuned everything up (new belts, bearings, added new motor starter and remote on/off switch). Been wanting a shelix head just having a hard time swallowing the $900 sting...

That said, and based on your feedback, I decided to stick with the powermatic. I guess I don't really see myself needing any larger for the stock I use, at least for now. My jointer is only 8" so anything larger I have to use a sled anyway. The main reason I wanted a little more capacity was to surface panels after glue ups. While my shop is very limited on space, I've always desired a wide belt sander, just couldn't justify the room it would take. But after reading Carl's post above, it gave me the thought again. Decided to do a quick CL search and found a Jet 16-32 for a pretty good deal.

I think between these two machines I should be pretty well set, at least for my projects. Again, thanks for all the wisdom!

Carl Beckett
04-02-2019, 2:26 PM
uh oh, I always get uneasy when someone reads something I write.... Remember

"Advice is always free unless you take it!"

But sounds like the sander provides a bigger capability upgrade than the wider planer would. So seems reasonable. Having said that, drum/widebelt sanders are the one item I have chased multiple iterations of... and I am still not 100% certain I am done. Goodluck with it!