PDA

View Full Version : Vise Question

Alan Turner
12-08-2005, 9:41 AM
Does anyone have one of these vises so that I might receive comments on satisfaction, quality, etc. It is a very cheap date, and I need 6 of them, so thought I would ask. I believe I originally picked up a link here for this vise, and just "discovered" the old bookmark. TIA.

http://www.wttool.com/p/2108-0080

Aaron Kline
12-08-2005, 9:51 AM
Yes, I have two of these. The finish is junk, the vise leaves a lot to be desired. If you don't want to spend a lot of money and they're going to get banged up anyway, they'd work ok. For woodworking on a daily basis, I wouldn't get them.

Alan Turner
12-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Aaron.

Thanks. Finish aside, do they work OK? Or do they rack and thus can't be properly closed? Are the jaws misalighned? Does the quick action not work, or not work well enough to use? These will be on student benches in the new teaching studio, and thus will see pretty light duty.

Steve Wargo
12-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Alan,
I'd be a little leary of this vice. At 22pounds it can't be substantial at all. I bet that the srews on my record weigh more than that whole vice. If you're thinking of using them on the benches for the classroom they may be O.K. Heck, at Woodcraft they use the crappy lightweight benches with very poor wooden vices and they worked well enough for most classroom work. But for planing and cutting joinery bay hand they were less than adequate.

Dan Racette
12-08-2005, 2:29 PM
Hey Alan, were you looking to use it to outfit your student benches?

d

Alan Turner
12-08-2005, 2:36 PM
Yes, these are for 6 of the 10 student benches. I already have 4 good older QA vises. Three of these are teh Richards Wilcox ones. Each bench will also have a traditional tail vise, and be quite heavy. Problem is that when you multiply anything times six, the #'s get big in a hurry. I might get one to try. Then, if they are OK, pick up 5 more when I am up seeing the my grandson. This co. has a place in SE Mass, it seems. I use my front vise quite a bit but I don't put any real pressure on it to speak of, often having to tighten it a bit more if something slips.
The bench tops will be 2.25" maple butcherblock, already in hand, and the legs are 12/4 chestnut oak, laminated. They will be plenty heavy.

Nothing is easy, or affordable.