PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0580 - Questions about Upgrades and things to know

Carlos Navarro
03-31-2019, 1:57 PM
Hello all--
New member here. I am a total beginner at woodworking.

In the near future I would like to create swimbaits (ex. trout like patterns) as a hobby. These would be approximately 5"-13" long. Not sure what woods are used. These swimbaits typically do not sink but can be trolled with leadcore line or downriggers (getting them to sink to correct depths where fish are located).

I just purchased this Grizzly G0580 that appears to have been used quite sparingly. I believe I will need a bandsaw at some point with this hobby and other projects related to..... home ownership, RV owner, fishing boat projects, etc.

So.....I would like to make some upgrades to this saw and was hoping someone could provide assistance on what upgrades would improve cut quality, performance, reliability, and durability.

A few things I have read as far as upgrades go, have been.....blade guides, new blade, rubber tires, etc.
How adequate is the 3/4 hp motor? What woods and thicknesses can be cut without compromise to cut quality and lasting performance?

Not sure about each upgrade as to what improvements would be gained.

OEM Saw Specs:

Model: Grizzly G0580 - 14" Bandsaw
Table size: 14"x14"x1.5"
Throat capacity: 13.5"
Height Capacity: 6"
Blade Speed: 3000rpm
Standard Blade Length: 93.5"
Wheels: Fully balanced Cast Aluminum w/ rubber tires
Horsepower: 3/4
Rip Fence: Aluminum
Guide Blocks: Plastic 1/2"W x 1/2"H x 3/8"L
Amps: 9
RPM: 1725
Dust Port: 4"

Thoughts....

Thanks!

John TenEyck
04-01-2019, 10:54 AM
I don't see a G0580 bandsaw on Grizzly's website; the G0555 and it's variants are the current 14" cast iron saws using a 93.5" blade, which are based on the 14" Delta. Anyway, unless you see something that is broken or worn out I wouldn't replace/upgrade anything until you have used it and identify something that limits the ability of the saw to cut well. Of course you need blades, and likely several different ones, but that's a separate subject. I've never heard of plastic guide blocks; perhaps they are like "cool blocks" which is what I have on my 14" Delta and work fine.

I would buy a couple of carbon steel blades for it and just use it. A 3/8" x 4 tpi blade makes a good all around blade for cutting thicker stock and a 1/4" x 4 or 6 tpi will let you cut fairly tight curves.

Perhaps the best advise I can offer is to go through the Owner's Manual and set the saw up as it describes.

John

Orlando Gonzalez
04-01-2019, 7:28 PM
I believe the G0580 as replaced by the G0555 series that now come with 1HP motors except the G0555HX that comes with a 1-3/4HP motor. My blades are 1/4," 3/8," and 1/2" wide and have different ones for different applications (aluminum, tight curves, plastics, resawing, general work). Although the manual says you can use 3/4" wide blades, I don't since the saw won't apply enough tension to a blade that wide. Guides and bearings are still OEM. Won't upgrade until necessary. Only upgrade I have made was to get the resaw fence for it.

I would contact Grizzly and ask them what upgrades are available for your saw since it is no longer available on their site.

Günter VögelBerg
04-01-2019, 11:46 PM
I have that saw. I bought it new about 15 years ago. It is ok, but it is definitely a light duty saw. It is not powerful enough to resaw hardwoods very well, but for basic small shop operation it is decent. I replaced the fence with a Woodhaven fence and that was a big improvement. I also replaced the bearings, but due more to age than a deficit of the originals. At some point I will likely sell it and move to a more powerful model, but it generally meets my needs.

Carlos Navarro
04-04-2019, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, it is an older model....you can find it by searching the Grizzly website with the model #. I believe it was replaced by the G0555. Perhaps I paid too much for it....at $240???

I will purchase the blades suggested.....1/4"; 3/8"; 1/2". What brand is suggested?

Carlos Navarro
04-04-2019, 9:27 PM
I have that saw. I bought it new about 15 years ago. It is ok, but it is definitely a light duty saw. It is not powerful enough to resaw hardwoods very well, but for basic small shop operation it is decent. I replaced the fence with a Woodhaven fence and that was a big improvement. I also replaced the bearings, but due more to age than a deficit of the originals. At some point I will likely sell it and move to a more powerful model, but it generally meets my needs.

What Woodhaven fence model did you purchase?
Was it a direct fit or were mods needed?
How is better than the OEM fence that was included with saw when new?

Thanks!