PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade recommendation

Bob Venable
03-30-2019, 8:39 PM
I have a Laguna 1412 saw, and I just got about a hundred desert ironwood blocks ( about 2" x 2" x 6" ) that I need to resaw into 1/4" slabs.
This stuff is extremely hard and dense.
My regular blades don't last long at all and the ironwood ends up burning.
Can anyone suggest the best blade to use for resawing this wood?
Thanks.

John TenEyck
03-30-2019, 8:56 PM
Take a look at the Resaw King. Should be a perfect match for your saw and project.

John

Earl McLain
03-31-2019, 12:27 PM
Just to be certain, it sound like a rip cut--in which case the Resaw King would be great. It would still work for cross-cutting--if by chance that's what you're meaning (i'm thinking knife scales??). If you have access to a decent table saw, a thin kerf 10" blade might not be a bad choice for ripping either. If my math is right, you should be able to yield 6 slabs on a table saw with a 3/32" kerf, you might be able to squeeze 7 slabs using the RK on your band saw--but that 7th one might be a shade thin. In both cases i'm assuming a full 2" that is already square.
earl

Bob Venable
03-31-2019, 11:23 PM
Yes, these are knife scales, and the cuts are rip cuts.
I placed an order for the Resaw King blade based on John's advice. It looked like it would do the job.
If I can squeeze 3 sets of scales out of each block I'll be happy.
I was surprised how pricey it was...I hope it lasts for a while! :)

John TenEyck
04-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Carbide blades aren't cheap, but they last a long time and can be resharpened several times, so they can be a good value provided it doesn't break or get bent. The Resaw King has about the narrowest kerf you will find in a carbide tipped blade, too, so you'll get the maximum yield out of your blanks.

Keep an eye on the blade. When it starts cutting noticeably slower it's time to get it sharpened. Forcing a dull carbide blade to cut usually ends badly.

John

John K Jordan
04-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Carbide blades aren't cheap, but they last a long time and can be resharpened several times, so they can be a good value provided it doesn't break or get bent.

I just started using my first carbide bandsaw blade, a Lenox 1/2" 3tpi Tri-master, less expensive than the Laguna. Do you know if those can be resharpened? If so, where?

JKJ

andy bessette
04-01-2019, 11:49 AM
+1 on a carbide blade. Been using the same one for years.

John TenEyck
04-01-2019, 1:07 PM
I just started using my first carbide bandsaw blade, a Lenox 1/2" 3tpi Tri-master, less expensive than the Laguna. Do you know if those can be resharpened? If so, where?

JKJ

John, Connecticut Saw and Tool sells and sharpens Lennox carbide blades. http://ctsaw.com/product/bandsaw-blades/ There must be others, but they are the only company I've found.

John

George Yetka
04-01-2019, 1:37 PM
woodcraft has 10% off on the RK this month

John K Jordan
04-01-2019, 9:47 PM
John, Connecticut Saw and Tool sells and sharpens Lennox carbide blades. http://ctsaw.com/product/bandsaw-blades/ There must be others, but they are the only company I've found.

John

Thanks.

On another carbide tooth front, a friend just told me that carbide chainsaw chains were a lot cheaper than the last I checked. He paid $70 for his last year, $10 to get it sharpened.

JKJ