PDA

View Full Version : Plinth blocks by hand

Keith Mathewson
03-30-2019, 1:37 PM
I needed to make a few plinth blocks to match a remodel. Nothing too elaborate but thought hand tool Neanderthals might find it interesting

William Fretwell
03-30-2019, 8:02 PM
Not hard to have chisel and shaping plane envy. Why is it done as little blocks?

Keith Mathewson
03-31-2019, 3:33 PM
These are blocks which go at the bottom of door casing to accommodate baseboard and baseshoe terminations.

The reason I thought it might be interesting is that this is endgrain shaping. The first few I did one at a time using the old piece as a backer to avoid tearout. It then occurred to me that if they were ganged together they could be worked like a long grain piece. I cleaved off the major sections with a chisel after first sawing to deand the rest was done with hollows and round as well as a pair of snipe bills.

Stew Denton
03-31-2019, 4:22 PM
Keith,

Nicely done. My folks had a house that was probably built before 1900, and it had such blocks at the base of the door casing.

Stew

brian zawatsky
04-01-2019, 8:23 PM
Very nice Keith. I’ve never used a moulding plane in a cross grain orientation. I would imagine it takes very sharp & finely set irons to cut cleanly.

Keith Mathewson
04-02-2019, 7:52 PM
Thanks for the comments. Cross grain planning is prone to tear out, also the slightest imperfection is a scratch and not just a ridge. I had to sand after because any little Imperfection shows up when stained. In one of the pictures you can see the sharpening station near the bench. I tend to sharpen often, it makes the job much easier.