PDA

View Full Version : What's your Dream Chop/Miter Saw?

James Curry
03-30-2019, 10:27 AM
If price, space, and dust collection were of absolutely ZERO concern, which Saw, Brand, and Model would you get and why?

Chop, Miter, or Compound Miter – Sliding or not Sliding?
Maybe you’d just stick with your beloved Table Saw and Crosscut Jig?
What would you love to use it for?
What headache would it cure?

The sky’s the limit! What’s your dream?

Jamie Buxton
03-30-2019, 10:35 AM
In what world are price, space, and dust collection not important? None.

Frederick Skelly
03-30-2019, 11:07 AM
I'm only a hobbyist, so I don't "need" Mafell and other amazing brands. So I'd still choose the 12" Makita CMS I bought a few years back. (Predecessor to the current LS1221.) It makes crosscutting long pieces much easier for me.

If space and (sufficient) crosscut accuracy were available, I might opt for a DW sliding CMS. But if I get the itch, I might buy an old RAS instead.

Fred

Matt Day
03-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Have to agree with that. Those are some major deciding factors.

That being said, I’d take a RAS. Make/model is another discussion.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-30-2019, 11:30 AM
The feature I'd like the most is 75 degree miter and bevel in at least one direction. I know, it's not going to happen but that's the feature that'd improve the saw the most for what I use them for.

James Curry
03-30-2019, 11:38 AM

In that fantasy world our children live in, but even us big kids can have dreams.What's your Miter Saw Dream? :)

Matt Day
03-30-2019, 12:00 PM
In that fantasy world our children live in, but even us big kids can have dreams.What's your Miter Saw Dream? :)

I don’t get it.

Perfect dust collection and perfect 90’s, in a saw that doesn’t need realignment and has infinite depth of cut. But that’s not going to happen. I prefer reality. Call me a grinch I guess.

Sam Beagle
03-30-2019, 3:03 PM
I have a kapex and omga saw. I can’t imagine any saw being better than either one.
I also have a dewalt, hitachi, and 2 dewalts.
They will all do the job right. But the omga is just insane

Martin Wasner
03-30-2019, 3:22 PM
I've never used anything better than an omga chop saw

Mike Kreinhop
03-30-2019, 3:39 PM

The question was posed as these issues were of "ZERO concern" instead of "not important". I think you are reading too much into the question, or everyone else is reading too little. When I read the question, I assumed for the sake of the discussion that the price, space and DC had already been resolved and the unresolved question was which machine to insert into the prepared space. I could be wrong.

Jeff Bartley
03-30-2019, 6:50 PM
Besides the difference in cut capacity I wonder if a Unipoint would rival an Omga in accuracy and cut quality?

Joe Jensen
03-30-2019, 7:21 PM
Price no object I would buy a new Northfield Machinery Unipoint. Check out the specs.
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/Brochures-PDF/UniPointRadialSaw.pdf

peter gagliardi
03-30-2019, 7:26 PM
A Unipoint is far and away a better more capable saw than an Omga. More capacity and angles in every single way.
The ONLY place an Omga shines over the Unipoint is the speed it can adjust to a new setting in its limited range.
For a CHOP saw, an Omga or Derda, and one or two others I can’t remember are about the best there is.
I liked my Kapex for some of the occasional shop work I was using it for.....
BUT, I brought it to the jobsite, and it’s inadequacies are hugely, glaringly obvious. There is no doubt it is only a 10” machine, and underpowered at that. Regardless of their claim that “it has the cut capacity of a 12” saw”.
Nope, not even close.

brent stanley
03-30-2019, 8:25 PM
http://macoser.com/product/stromab-ps-600p/

Around $20k.

B

Martin Wasner
03-30-2019, 8:32 PM
I really dislike radial arm saws.

I'd rather use a sliding tablesaw for just about anything a radial arm saw will do.

Joe Jensen
03-30-2019, 8:56 PM
I really dislike radial arm saws.

I'd rather use a sliding tablesaw for just about anything a radial arm saw will do.

Yes, I have one now so I was going for the best chop saw :)

Joe Calhoon
03-30-2019, 9:20 PM
I have both Omga and a Kapex. The Omga is far better, Kapex was a huge disappointment for a shop saw but probably the top job site saw. Another contender might be the Graule miter saw.

https://www.graule.de/produkte-kappsaege-ks.php?lang=en

I have a Graule radial arm that is the most accurate radial I have ever used. But I don't think you can compare radials to chop saws. They each have their place. I have never cut a miter on the Graule, like others prefer the sliding table saw for any accurate cut miter or otherwise. The place for chop saws in a shop is cutting small moldings IMHO.

Brian Holcombe
03-30-2019, 11:22 PM
Nice thing about industrial chop saws is that they're about the same type of noise as a cabinet saw.

I have an Omga and enjoy using it, I set it to 90 degrees and it retains that setting. You can leave it running, and make many chops quickly. It's very accurate once dialed in and I wouldn't mind having the biggest variety of Omga. I like it best for square end cuts in combination with a stop.

I have the Ulmia slider setup now and have been using that for crosscuts. It's very nice and able to be dialed in accurately. It has a special rig setup for cutting miters, so I will probably begin using that exclusively for miters from now on.

So the things I think to be important are the saw's ability to retain settings, tp be set accurately without having to resort to things like shimming. Expedience in changing settings and the ability to return to settings while retaining the accuracy of those settings.

Dave Sabo
03-31-2019, 1:05 PM
The question was posed as these issues were of "ZERO concern" instead of "not important". I think you are reading too much into the question, or everyone else is reading too little. When I read the question, I assumed for the sake of the discussion that the price, space and DC had already been resolved and the unresolved question was which machine to insert into the prepared space. I could be wrong.

This is sorta the reason I haven’t answered - til now. But as Jamie and Matt pointed out, and James then re-phrased the question - this is the real world.

So so we now kinda have two questions what current saw would I have IF reality were bent

-and -

what mitersaw would I want in my fantasy.

Which will now , likely beg manufactures to dispense with reality to meet out those fantasies. So don’t get your feathers ruffled because a few guys around here call out a Sunday afternoon “what if” scenario as folly. Enjoy it if want, criticize it for what it is if you’d rather. It’s just a conversation starter.

Mike Cutler
03-31-2019, 3:14 PM
Price no object I would buy a new Northfield Machinery Unipoint. Check out the specs.
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/Brochures-PDF/UniPointRadialSaw.pdf

Wow!! That's impressive.:cool:

Jon Singer
03-31-2019, 4:24 PM
Chop saw... probably a yellow flexvolt cordless 12" SCMS. I've got big TS & RAS. Personally I have no need for a chop saw unless I can throw it in my trunk and bring it to a friend/family's house for a project.

Rod Sheridan
03-31-2019, 7:02 PM
For mitres I really liked using the Pistorius double mitre saws, induction motor, power drive, great accuracy.

I think they’re out of business now?

I guess I’ll stick with my format saw.....Rod

Patrick Walsh
03-31-2019, 7:28 PM
A sliding saw.

Miter saws drive me bazzerk.

As many have said when forced and in the field the Kapex is just better.

Jim Andrew
03-31-2019, 7:51 PM
Think if I could add a larger port for dust collection to my old Makita.

johnny means
03-31-2019, 9:16 PM
Not a miter saw.

Joe Calhoon
03-31-2019, 10:52 PM
The question was best mitre saw but would agree the double miter is the best for accurate mitering- cutting of small and medium workpieces. Safer than a miter saw also.

Jon Snider
04-02-2019, 8:53 AM
Wow!! That's impressive.:cool:

1+. Are you supposed to use a sacrificial top? That one looks too nice to cut.

John Kee
04-02-2019, 8:56 AM
The question was best mitre saw but would agree the double miter is the best for accurate mitering- cutting of small and medium workpieces. Safer than a miter saw also.

Joe good pics to show the versatility of a single piece of equipment that with the proper attachments can do some many thing extremely well. That's also my go to for precision miters.