PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else use a carpet straight edge?

Dan Jansen
03-29-2019, 2:38 PM
About a year ago, I met a wonderful jack of all trades who was retiring and selling his tools. This turned into about two evenings of stories and tips from a pro. One thing he introduced me to was a six foot carpet straight edge. It is a 6’ x 3” x 1/8” piece of spring steel with machined edges. I bought his and it is excellent for wood working. It’s not Starrett straight but it’s plenty good for adjusting jointer beds or table extensions and for drawing a nice straight line. I’ve never heard anyone else mention one but I think it would be tough to find another 72” straightedge with better tolerance at a lower price.

I’m not sure what brand mine is (it’s green) but here’s a link to the Crain website for an example: https://www.craintools.com/carpet/other/straight-edges/113

Anyone else use one?

Robert Hayward
03-29-2019, 8:20 PM
I keep a four foot one in its shipping tube and pull it out for special jobs. Have used it for a couple years.

Bill Space
03-29-2019, 9:27 PM
Never heard of them before, but they look interesting and useful.

Thanks for posting!

John K Jordan
03-29-2019, 9:42 PM
I keep a four foot one in its shipping tube and pull it out for special jobs. Have used it for a couple years.

I also have a 4' one. Mine was very old when I acquired it, wide but a little thinner and certainly not kept in a shipping tube ( :) ) - I hang it on the wall with my levels and other straight edges. Very handy for some things.

JKJ

Derek Arita
03-30-2019, 4:39 PM
Never heard of that, but if it's .001 or 2 per foot accurate, then it would be good for adjusting machines.

Ed Aumiller
03-30-2019, 9:25 PM
Have a 4' accurate straight edge for aligning jointer, bandsaw, etc...
But was at Lowes and they had a 6' ruler (yard stick?), bought it and use ir for
marking wood, etc... not accurate to .oo1" but more than adequate for wood...
Very handy
Lowes item #, etc

Item # 119896 Model # AE144

Swanson Tool Company Straight Edges 6-ft Metal Ruler
Probably other borgs have something similiar...