PDA

View Full Version : SD Dial-a Width Dado Set fit

Mark Rios
12-08-2005, 1:19 AM
Can someone give me some clarification on checking if the SD608 will fit on my older Ridgid (Emerson) tablesaw? Do I only subtract the width of the nut? Or do I also subtract the width of the stock washer. Come to think of it, do I even use the stock washer with a dado set?

If it won't fit, is there a dado set that does fit the older Ridgid? Or should I use a Box Joint Cutter Set and Make several passes?

Thanks for any help.

p.s. After reading other posts, should I be looking for another tablesaw that will accept a full stack? :-)

Hoa Dinh
12-08-2005, 2:38 AM
Mark,

You need to use only the arbor nut with a dado set. The washer is not needed. I got this piece of info from Craftsman, Jesada, and Delta.

To determine the max width of the dado you can cut with a stackable dado set, subtract the thickness of the nut from the length of the arbor.

That is for "regular" stackable dados. Freud Dial-A-Width Dado has more requirements. See this (http://freud.hostforadollar.net/Website%20Hidden%20Files/Dial%20A%20Width%20Saw%20Fit.html) from Freud.

Charles McCracken
12-08-2005, 9:35 AM
The link Mark pointed to tells you if you can cut the max width of the set. To calculate the actual max width you can cut on your saw with the SD608 in a single pass, measure the total arbor length then subtract the thickness of the arbor nut and 7/32" for the dial hub. Then compare to the max dado width spec'd by the saw manufacturer and use the smaller of the two. As Mark stated, the washer is not used.

Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

Dave Sweeney
12-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I have an Emerson built Ridgid saw and it has the capacity to cut a 13/16" dado using a stacked dado set. I can only assume that all of the past and current Ridgid contractor saws also have this capability.

The Freud Dial-A-Width dado sets have issues with a number of table saws not just the Ridgid. You can use them on the Ridgid TS but will not be able to fully use the full width potential of the set.

The table saws that do have the width issues with the Dial-A-Width sets have been around alot longer than the SD60x's. I don't think it fair to blame the saws or their manufacturers for a problem with an after market product that was researched and developed for marketing as a accessary to be used on already existing products. I'm not slamming Freud in any way but it wouldn't hurt if they listed on the package the table saws that the Dial-A-Width sets either will or will not fit. .02¢

Charles McCracken
12-08-2005, 12:45 PM
it wouldn't hurt if they listed on the package the table saws that the Dial-A-Width sets either will or will not fit. .02¢

Dave,

That's an excellent point and I agree totally. The problem is that it would be impossible to cover every version of every table saw ever made. The SD600 series was designed for cabinet saws and will "fit" all saws that accept dadoes but arbor lengths vary widely, in some cases even among the same model of saw. The best we can offer is a way to determine the maximum capability based on a simple arbor measurement.

Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

Steve Rowe
12-08-2005, 7:40 PM
Mark - In addition to the advise on the other posts, you should check the diameter of the arbor flange (big diameter part close to the motor). I had a 10" tablesaw that would not accept the SD608 because the diameter of the flange was so large, it would not allow the dado set to seat properly against it. The name on the saw was a Mikiway (distributed by several importers and also the older Craftsman professional series saws) - a fine saw other than this minor nuisance. BTW - the SD608 dado is a fine selection.
Steve

Bill Fields
12-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Charles M from Freud:

Thanks for your answers and your membership.

-Statement on outside of packages should have clear warning/suggestion to potential buyers re: fit/no fit.

You are right--you cannot cover every possibility. But, why not state a fit requirement/limit and place the responsibility on the buyer to cross check his personal saw's potential for use.

-ANd--I'm a big user/fan of Freud--while you are thinking about future improvments in your packaging--my Freud dado set came with a paper chart of blades/shims/width chhoices. How about a durable coated paper or plastic chart?

And again, thanks for participation--especially nice from a supplier!

BILL FIELDS

Allen Bookout
12-09-2005, 1:06 AM
I have a recently (within the last year) pruchased Delta 10" left tilt unisaw, Model 36-953. I was concerned about the SD608 fitting my saw as the arbor measured, as close as I could measure with it on the machine, as1 and 11/32 of an inch. My arbor nut measures 1/4" which leaves me 1 and 3/32 of an inch or may be a hair less. Others on the web said that they were using it on their Unis so I went ahead and ordered it. My saw manual says that it will cut dados 13/16 of an inch with a normal dado set so I put both outside blades combined with four 1/8" chippers which would give 13/16" with the SD 608 and am able to thread the arbor nut on the shaft flush with the end of the arbor. According to the Freud directions on the link provided by Hoa in this thread, I should only be able to use it to a maxium of 3/4".

I have two questions.
1. Since I can thread the arbor nut fully on the arbor
with the SD608 set for 13/16 why would it be
unsafe to use it with this setup?
2. If there is some valid reason not to use the setup
in question "1" does anyone know if Delta has a
longer arbor for the Uni that I could replace mine
with? I suppose that question should be answered
by Delta but I am sure that there are members here
who know the answer.
I cannot imagine Freud making a unit that cannot be used on a standard Uni as there are so many of them. Or---could be mine is substandard. As Charles of Freud said that even the same models may have different arbors. If that is the case a lot of people ended up with the same situation because I bought it from Woodworkers Supply when they were selling a bunch of them. Also I would really be hacked at Delta if I got a short one.

And Bill --- the SD 608 comes with a nice coated plastic chart with all of the information about the whole setup plus a DVD with tons of information. The name of the DVD is "Dado Tips and Tricks" by Freud.

Allen

PS. And Charles M from Freud --- I infrequently look around some other forums but spend ninety five percent of my time here. I have seen you out there and am really happy to see you over here.

Bill Fields
12-09-2005, 1:15 AM
Allen--great to know--thanks! I'm out of date as usual.

Bill

Steve Rowe
12-09-2005, 9:32 AM
Allen - A very good question. I would be a little concerned about the nut being flush with the end of the arbor. As a general rule, you should see at least one full thread extending past the nut to ensure full thread engagement. The reason for this is that studs, bolts, arbors or whatever are often chamfered or have a slight taper on the end to easily put the nut on. I used the SD608 on my right tilt Unisaw but, I honestly don't remember if I had ever had the thing at maximum width. However, I do remember the appropriate thread engagement.

Allen Bookout
12-09-2005, 10:04 AM
That is good to know Steve. Thanks a lot! Actually as I look at the arbor and nut more closely this morning the arbor does protrude a little bit. I can see the outside edge of the first thread (but not the whole thread) all the way around. I think that it would be safe to use but I sure would hate to miscalculate. Anyone else have any experience with such a close almost fit?

It seems like that if the nut did loosen that it would not be a real safety problem. I would think that as the blades are embeded that the unit would just stop rotating and may be mess up the wood peice and may be the arbor. Has there been any testing on this? Has anyone had any experience with a nut coming loose while using a dado?

Allen

Charles McCracken
12-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Allen,

Steve is correct about the exposed thread in general, however on a saw arbor the thread is acme so it should be consistent all the way to the end except for a slight chamfer. If this is the case and you can see the chamfer you should be okay but I recommend that you check with Delta to be sure. I have used the SD608 on a Delta Unisaw to 13/16 before without any problem so I think you can as well. The formulas err on the side of caution so as not to make anyone think they can use more than is possible.

Thanks to all for the welcome. For those that don't know me I try to be informative without shoving a sales pitch at you. PLease let me know if I ever cross the line.

Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

Charles McCracken
12-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Charles M from Freud:

Thanks for your answers and your membership.

-Statement on outside of packages should have clear warning/suggestion to potential buyers re: fit/no fit.

You are right--you cannot cover every possibility. But, why not state a fit requirement/limit and place the responsibility on the buyer to cross check his personal saw's potential for use.

-ANd--I'm a big user/fan of Freud--while you are thinking about future improvments in your packaging--my Freud dado set came with a paper chart of blades/shims/width chhoices. How about a durable coated paper or plastic chart?

And again, thanks for participation--especially nice from a supplier!

BILL FIELDS

Bill,

Excellent suggestions! I will pass them along.

Thank you,
Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

Allen Bookout
12-09-2005, 7:27 PM
Thanks Charles!!! I feel much better about using it with your input. Allen

Tom Hamilton
12-09-2005, 7:52 PM
Welcome Charles, it is great to have you have you here. We all benefit from the expertise you can bring to the Creek. Any who knows, so may Freud. ;)

Don't worry about crossing the line. The "LINE POLICE" and the "PICTURE POLICE" are well staffed and vigilant. :eek:

I'm glad you here, Merry Christmas, Tom