PDA

View Full Version : Day two.

Keith Christopher
12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
From left to right (bloodwood, green acrylic (previous post) , pink maple burl (previous post), Bloodwood, curly maple. I can turn one of these out in like 20 minutes. (well a little longer on the acrylic tough to round over but nice once round) .

Cheers. I'll do some spindles and bowls soon. Just having fun here.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/Lathe/pens.jpg

Keith Burns
12-08-2005, 12:02 AM
They all look great ! Remember, turn, turn, turn is the word:D

John Hart
12-08-2005, 7:07 AM
Geez Keith...Day two huh? Well ok..I guess we have to believe you. You're a natural! Nice Work. Are these Christmas Presents??

Chris Barton
12-08-2005, 7:36 AM
Good looking pens!

Tyler Howell
12-08-2005, 8:38 AM
The Man 's gone wild!!!
Nice stuff:cool:

Keith Christopher
12-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes they are xmas christmas presents, This is not the second day I've had my lathe but this is my second pass making some pens. The only problem I have of late is sometimes I'm not paying attention and put the wrong blank between the wrong bushings, so I end up with some parts narrower than they need to be. (see the green acrylic pen top) Ahh well. Of an interesting note. I killed a brad point bit drilling holes in some pink ivory blanks. I may have to get a 5hp drill press and some serious bits to get through this stuff.

I now have 50 bubinga blanks, 5 pink ivory blanks, 10 curly maple blanks 20 blood wood blanks, tonight I will have about 20 cherry blanks once I rips these boards down.

Keith

John Hart
12-08-2005, 10:32 AM
For what it's worth Keith, I think that turning pens is a great education...And from the sounds of it, you're gonna get a lot of education with all those blanks!!!;) They offer a discipline of Attention to Detail that will migrate into all future work. (did with me anyway):) :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-08-2005, 2:03 PM
Good Lookin' Pens!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
12-08-2005, 9:33 PM
For what it's worth Keith, I think that turning pens is a great education...And from the sounds of it, you're gonna get a lot of education with all those blanks!!!;) They offer a discipline of Attention to Detail that will migrate into all future work. (did with me anyway):) :)

This is true. I learned a wee bit about using a skew on the pens.

Oh and ... very nice work on the pens Keith.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Keith - I began with pens too. But I found that starting out with 3/4 x 3/4 square stock kinda boring and didn't allow for much in the way of actual turning time.

So, I began with larger stock (5/4 and often bigger) and had fun just making shavings with the eventual reward of finding a pen blank deep inside.

Might seem like a waste of thick wood, but I just chalked it up to the learning curve.

Keith Christopher
12-09-2005, 1:46 AM
Andy,

I hear ya ! but if I had something larger on the spinner, I don't think I'd turn a pen. But perhaps you are saying you can play and try things and what not until you get to the magical size for a pen.

Keith

Dick Parr
12-09-2005, 9:08 AM
Looks like you got the hang of it real quick Keith. Those are some fine looking pens. Great Job.:)