PDA

View Full Version : WEN Air Filtration

Wes Mitchell
03-28-2019, 12:37 PM
I'm curious if anyone has bought this particular Air Filtration system. I have a very small shop that holds my lathe. It is around 120 sq. ft. The price is certainly right. I spend maybe an hour a day in my shop, so it would get pretty light use.

W (https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3410-3-Speed-Remote-Controlled-Filtration/dp/B00LPD9BDI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=wen+air+filtration&qid=1553790675&s=gateway&sr=8-1)en Air Filtration (https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3410-3-Speed-Remote-Controlled-Filtration/dp/B00LPD9BDI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=wen+air+filtration&qid=1553790675&s=gateway&sr=8-1)

George Yetka
03-28-2019, 2:26 PM
I went with the grizzly which I hear is similar and even uses the same filters. I like it but i can never remember to turn it on. I think i take it apart and wire it to be an always on so that it comes on with the lights. I already have it behind the switch.

Andrew More
03-28-2019, 3:15 PM
I think the units are all the same for this, just different paint schemes. If you're looking to save even more money, find an HVAC guy and buy a blower off him for like $20, then build a box around it with filters.

Gary Petersen
03-28-2019, 11:24 PM
I bought the higher air flow Wen 3415T about three months ago and have been very pleased with it. For that size of shop, I think it will work well for you.

Greg Parrish
03-28-2019, 11:34 PM
Wes, I have that unit and it works well in my 440 sq ft garage space. It’s quiet, remote works well and it was cheap. I ordered extra filters to have handy too.

Tim M Tuttle
03-29-2019, 10:38 AM
I have the 3410. Seems to work well. I dont have an air quality meter so not sure how much but the filters get dirty so it's doing something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wojciech Tryc
03-29-2019, 12:07 PM
Also 3410 user in a very tiny shop. The unit is quiet and it actually works well. I have measured the before and after PM2.5 and PM10 and I could see significant improvement. I would not consider my tests scientific as its hard to generate the same amount of dust in a consistent way, but ... ;)

Doug Dawson
03-29-2019, 5:06 PM
I think the units are all the same for this, just different paint schemes. If you're looking to save even more money, find an HVAC guy and buy a blower off him for like $20, then build a box around it with filters.

The Jet 1000 has three times the air flow as the WEN. However, I usually use the Jet only on the lowest speed. As to the quality of the filter elements themselves, comparatively among the two brands, I don't know. At the price, it might not be a bad idea to buy several of the WEN units, and set them up for circular air flow around the shop.

Greg Parrish
03-29-2019, 5:35 PM
Good idea if you have space. In my shop I have a mini split and dehumidifier running full time and I do feel they help to circulate dust for the WEN unit.

The Jet 1000 has three times the air flow as the WEN. However, I usually use the Jet only on the lowest speed. As to the quality of the filter elements themselves, comparatively among the two brands, I don't know. At the price, it might not be a bad idea to buy several of the WEN units, and set them up for circular air flow around the shop.

Gary Ragatz
03-29-2019, 6:05 PM
I also have a small shop and have been thinking about one of these filters, but haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase yet. Several years ago, Fine Woodworking reported on a test of these types of systems. The test results seemed to me to be a pretty strong endorsement for these units. A Jet unit was their top pick. The WEN wasn't a part of the test:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdfFREE/011213054.pdf

An alternative that I've been thinking about is a HEPA system from Honeywell. They have several models that range from a little more expensive than the WEN to about double the price - but they filter particles down to 0.3 microns:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/honeywell%2520air%2520purifier?NCNI-5

Do any of you use something like this?

Dave Cav
03-29-2019, 9:38 PM
My shop is about 1200 square feet. I have 4 of the Wen units. Two are over the wide belt sander and the other two are at the opposite end of the shop. They're inexpensive and work fine. I use them mostly either whenever I'm doing extensive sanding, or spray finishing.

Orlando Gonzalez
04-01-2019, 7:49 PM
I have the 3410 in my 12x18 shop and it works very well. You can see it above the table saw.