PDA

View Full Version : Which power tools would you only buy new?

Ray Gutnick
03-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Just wondering if there are any power tools (large or small) that the members would only buy new and not used?
For example, I see a lot of people are buying used table saws, so that seems safe. How about planers, random orbital sanders, shop vacs, etc?
Any good or bad experiences when buying used?
Thanks in advance!

Jim Becker
03-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Most of my electric powered tools were bought new, but I have bought a few Festool products "lightly used" because I'm comfortable with the quality. While I'm not needing to do so, I'd probably be comfortable with typical used stationary tools because the majority are not really complex machines. I'd also likely be comfortable with used Euro equipment because quite often, lightly used becomes available from hobbyists who leave the activity or change their minds.

Andrew More
03-28-2019, 1:30 PM
I generally won't buy cheap power tools, because it's not worth the hassle with Craig's List or Facebook Market, or whatever. Not worth it (to me) to save $10-20. I might buy simpler ones off Ebay, but then you can't tell what you're getting. So no shop vacs, sanders, plate jointers, dremels, drills or impact drivers. I might make an exception for something exceptional, like a drill from the 50s or something else cool.

I'm also a bit leary about buying a lunchbox planer used. Too many things to subtly screw up in ways that are not easily seen during an inspection.

Zachary Hoyt
03-28-2019, 1:34 PM
Almost all of my power tools were bought used. More recently I've been buying some new ones as the things I wanted were less available locally used, and too heavy to ship cheaply, and I had enough money coming in to justify spending on new tools.
Zach

George Yetka
03-28-2019, 2:23 PM
I personnaly would stay away from contractor tools, any of them unless you know who they are coming from. I'm a mechanical and our portable tools are abused. I wouldn't want any of them second hand. Our stationary stuff even it goes out to jobs are built better and are also treated better. Im assuming the same goes for any tools from other contractors.

Frank Drackman
03-28-2019, 3:11 PM
I try to purchase all of my big tools used. The only new stationary tool currently in my shop is a grizzly 12" J/P. I watched for over six months trying to find a decent used J/P before purchasing the grizzly new.

I have a Sawstop, 19" bandsaw, 14" Jet bandsaw, Jet drill press, Dewalt 12" SCMS, 16/32 drum sander & 220v-13amp dust collector all purchased used.

I never purchase any measurement tools used. Too many of them get dropped and lose accuracy.

Doug Ladendorf
03-28-2019, 3:29 PM
All of my stationary tools are used, mostly from the 1970's and earlier solid, American made. However, I'm happy to do some restoration work on them if needed. Handheld power tools I usually buy new, especially battery powered.

Simon MacGowen
03-28-2019, 3:38 PM
The tablesaw because it is the center piece in my shop. Everything else is secondary, and I can accept second hand. That said, the only second hand machines I have in my shop are those hand-held tools I picked up before I went serious with woodworking.

Simon

eugene thomas
03-28-2019, 3:42 PM
Cnc.......

Rod Sheridan
03-28-2019, 3:46 PM
I don't think there is an answer to this.

Good quality used equipment can be very cost effective.

Poor quality used equipment can be a waste of money.

Both of the above require knowledge and expertise to determine.

New equipment will perform to the manufacturer's specifications, or they will make it right.

There's no right answer to this...................Rod.

johnny means
03-28-2019, 4:11 PM
The only machine I absolutely would not buy used, and by used I mean not pristine and near new, is an edgebander. They are just too finicky even when new.

Carl Beckett
03-28-2019, 5:47 PM
I dont think there are very many things at all I would not buy 'used'. I have bought completely unopened items from private sellers who had duplicates or never used it, etc. Is that 'used'?

In order of comfort might go something like this:

Tools with no moving parts. Sockets, wrenches, planes... items that can be inspected for structural damage and if ok, are 100% useable
Tools with no motors, electronics, and minimal wear parts. A slight extension of the above but includes inspecting bearings, joints, modest wear parts
Tools with high wear items but that are designed to be maintained and replaced. Bearings are a good example. Pretty simple fix if everything else is in good shape
Tools with motors that have brushes (or even centrifugal switches). Close in nature to the above as long as they havent been over run and gouging of shafts, etc.
Tools with industrial electronics (mechanical relays etc)
Complicated tools with lots of moving parts, friction adjustments, etc. The ones that have 30 parts that all have to work just right in unison. This might be the category where the edgebander fits in?
Tools with digital electronics and/or sensors. Sensors always seem finicky. Plus, I cant always know how to calibrate them to know they are reading accurately.
Oh, and tools with batteries. No idea to know whether a battery is any life left and if not it can be the most expensive component to replace.

This is probably way off base, but I am just going to hit send and the rest of you will straighten it out.

Martin Wasner
03-28-2019, 5:54 PM
I think I've only got seven stationary tools that I bought new, everything else was used.

Almost all of my portable handheld tools were purchased new. There's a free things I would buy used and have because they are no longer made and not throw away quality like many sold today.

Matt Day
03-28-2019, 5:57 PM
I buy all used stationary machinery, but you need to be mechanical inclined enough to fix it if you find out something is broken/worn out.

Charles Taylor
03-28-2019, 6:29 PM
Electric toothbrush.

More seriously, most but not all of my handheld power tools were bought new. Nowadays I'm far more likely to buy used if I'm in need of a benchtop or larger machine (and can find it).

Phillip Mitchell
03-28-2019, 8:40 PM
The only tools I don’t want to buy used are layout tools and li-ion batteries...unless they are obviously and verifiably like-new.

Patrick Kane
03-28-2019, 10:07 PM
Buying a used CNC, widebelt, or edgebander would make me think twice. That’s mostly because I don’t have an intimate level of understanding of those machines, and I know enough to know things can go horribly wrong with all the above. I personally know two guys that got burned badly on a used edgebander.

Other than that, I’d buy everything used! I’ve purchased a used 6, 8, 12, and 20 jointer. Several used table saws ranging from a delta contractor model to a few unisaws and now on to a powermatic 72. Used felder saw/shaper too. Used cyclone dust collector. Used drill press. Used bandsaw. Frankly, I’m hard pressed to name ANYTHING that I purchased new. 90% of my Festool gear was purchased used. The only new tools I’ve purchased are a 20” powermatic planer with a Byrd head, comatic dc40 feeder, and a Festool ct26.

Used stuff is a real pain to procure. Have to move it yourself. It often requires a lot of patience and effort to find the stuff you want. There’s obviously risk that you get burned on deals. This is like anything else in that your risk is mitigated through thoughtful due diligence and knowledge. I tend to only buy when the majority of my potential downsides are covered.

Pete Staehling
03-29-2019, 7:33 AM
I don't have any hard and fast rules on this but...
1. Be careful about any types of tools that can become obsolete, wear out, or suffer from age. That might include tools that have batteries that become obsolete, pads that wear out, and so on.
2. Be careful about pricing on used tools. They are often not priced cheap enough to make them a good enough deal when you take everything into account. Be sure to consider repairs that will be needed either now or sooner than with a new machine. Also consider the lack of factory support and warranty. Don't ignore the joy of using a brand new machine.
3. Consider whether the seller will stand behind the condition of the item if it should be faulty.

Personally I buy mostly new stationary power tools and power hand held tools. There are some exceptions, but I need to get a very good savings to be tempted with used. I see folks selling used power tools for 80-90% of the new price and I just don't get it. The few used machines I have bought I have been very happy with but I paid what I thought was a very good price for a good machine. When the price of used was anywhere near a new one, I spring for new.

Hand tools are another matter. Some of my hand tools are older than I am, including most of my favorite ones, so obviously I didn't buy them all new.

Tim M Tuttle
03-29-2019, 10:07 AM
The only tools I've bought used are my DW 735 planer and my Oneida Mini Gorilla dust collector. Both were very lightly used.

I looked for used when buying my bandsaw, drill press, jointer, and table saw but couldn't find anything. The used market in my area sucks.

When I got my jointer I looked for probably 6 months or so hoping to find a used DJ-20 or comparable Grizzly model. I finally pulled the trigger on a brand new Steelex and one week later a used DJ-20 came up on Craigslist. Ha.

John TenEyck
03-29-2019, 10:49 AM
The only power tools I only buy new are handheld ones. Most just aren't that expensive except the green ones so it's not worth the effort to even look for a good used one. Quality stationary tools, on the other hand, cost a lot more but typically last for several generations of hobby users, so I look for a good used machine first. That has worked well for me, but if you aren't motivated to at least clean, lube, and adjust a machine to make it run like new, then it's a route that will lead to certain disappointment.

John

mark mcfarlane
03-29-2019, 10:57 AM
... Quality stationary tools, on the other hand, cost a lot more but typically last for several generations of hobby users, so I look for a good used machine first. That has worked well for me, but if you aren't motivated to at least clean, lube, and adjust a machine to make it run like new, then it's a route that will lead to certain disappointment.

John

FWIW, my experience with new stationary tools is they still need the same loving cleaning (cosmoline et. al.) and careful adjustment, so the setup process is similar whether new or slightly used. Abused and rusty is a different story.

michael langman
03-29-2019, 11:29 AM
All my stationary wood working tools are bought used. Rockwell 9" tablesaw in like new condition,rockwell 14" bandsaw,de;ta 4" jointer.

I bought a reconditioned Makita 1013 compound miter saw from CPO outlets. Reconditioned tools are a good deal when you get them on sale at certain times of the year. And function like new .

Malcolm Schweizer
03-29-2019, 12:11 PM
There are very few tools that I would NOT buy used. I look for used before I buy new. It's kind of like buying cars (Which I have NEVER bought new either)- as soon as you drive it off the lot, it depreciates. I only wish I had the access you guys have to used tools. It's rare here to find a good used table saw, jointer, or planer here. I would be careful with jointers and planers because they are precision tools, and I've seen a few pretty poorly cared for ones, but a good inspection will highlight any issues. I guess a shop vac I would be reluctant to buy used, because they are just abused daily as the nature of their job- they suck up all the stuff we are trying to keep out of our other tools!!! (poor little guys- taking one for the team every day) You can usually get a good idea by talking to the person what kind of use the tool has had, and a lot of times I see really good stationary tools go for cheap by someone who bought it new and found they just didn't use it as much as they thought they would.

I normally wouldn't buy concrete tools used, but I got a great price on an SDS+ drill, and that thing has been a beast- never let me down.

Doug Dawson
03-29-2019, 1:11 PM
Just wondering if there are any power tools (large or small) that the members would only buy new and not used?
For example, I see a lot of people are buying used table saws, so that seems safe. How about planers, random orbital sanders, shop vacs, etc?
Thanks in advance!

I only like to buy new power tools now, because I appreciate having a warranty. It seems that with many people, if they have a tool and they abuse it, and sense that it's just about to go poof, the first thing they do is sell it before that happens, and then disappear. This is particularly true with tools that show up in Goodwill, etc., if they can't even sell it, or have a guilty conscience. Bang ding ow. With a used tool, you don't know where it's been.

It's different with hand tools, of course, because you have eyes.

Jim Morgan
03-29-2019, 1:58 PM
In general, I buy more expensive tools used and less expensive tools new. Or: tools that I plan to buy and take time considering are generally purchased used, while tools that are more impulsive buys are purchased new. This largely breaks down as used stationary tools (vintage Unisaw, Powermatic bandsaw and jointer, JessEm router table, Dewalt 735 planer, Grizzley power feeder) versus new handheld and hand tools. There are exceptions: I bought a new Powermatic dust collector and a used Domino XL, and at least half of my planes were used. If and when my 25-year-old Delta drill press gives up the ghost, I will replace it with a Nova Voyager, which I will probably only be able to find new.

For those who may not know, if you have an account with craigslist you can save searches and get email notifications when new items come up. That's really the only way to catch hot selling items like Festool.

Jon Singer
03-29-2019, 2:10 PM
I have a thing for old stuff so almost nothing is off limits. Estate sales, yard sales, CL, etc. has been great. One man's trash... At same time, you get what you pay for. I'm about to pick up a "free" Delta/Rockwell 12-14" cabinet saw. I'll be into that thing probably about $1,000 by the time I get it sorted and cleaned up. Not sure how "used" things are when you start sending parts out for powder coat and motors out to be re-wound. My current TS, jointer and planer are all used. Same with dovetail jig, Kreg jig, biscuit jointer, two bandsaws, drill press, scroll saw, etc. You can't beat old iron.

Lots of old precision measuring tools are great too. If you can find an estate sale for a tool & die maker or machinist you can get really good stuff cheap. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to pay MORE than what the family/kids wanted for things. You can get brands like Browne & Sharp, Starrett, Miller's Falls, etc. for pennies. Also stuff like sets of taps & dies, hand tools, etc. for pennies when it would cost hundreds or thousands to buy new.

I would never buy a battery or a battery tool used. As mentioned, I wouldn't buy a toothbrush used either. Also respirators, boots/shoes, gloves, welding helmets. When I was starting out I had good luck with (small) gmaw welders from CL. I got a free Lincoln (tombstone) arc welder that was heavily used but it worked... Often you can find a homeowner who thought they might like welding or bought a machine for one job, etc. I'd never guy a bigger welder used. Those are usually ridden hard and put up wet, and the newer ones are a lot easier to operate (and better features).

Nail guns: I got my finish guns used. They were in really great shape. And now they collect dust because I bought new battery guns. Palm nailer was used. Unless it is specifically as a parts/spare gun, I'd never buy a roofing or framing gun used. Ever.

Drywall, tile and masonry knives/trowels: I have styles/brands I like so if I find something lightly used for stupid cheap sometimes I'll pick them up. A lot of that stuff gets better once they are broken in a bit.

Justin Rapp
03-29-2019, 2:33 PM
I would consider used for most stationary tools, but it's gotta be a pretty good deal and in like-new condition or it's not worth it for me, and so far, I have never found that deal for a tool I wanted. Most of the time from what I have seen, the good condition tools are selling for 80-90 percent of new or worse (like the craigslist ad for $2500 used JET bandsaw, plus 2 spare blades on craigslist for a saw that is $1800 new). To save a few hundred $, not have the machine freight shipped and delivered to my home (even if it is only curb-side), and not have a warranty just isn't worth it.

I get the bad ads, like the 2500 saw - when someone passes and a next-of-kin doesn't have a clue (could work in your favor also).

John Sincerbeaux
03-29-2019, 5:03 PM
There is not a single hand tool, powered or not that I would buy used. In most cases, guys try to sell their Festool tools or Lie Nielsen tools for within a $100 of what they cost new?
As far as stationary, I try to buy the “best”. There are many machines that are 50+ years old that are simply better than anything new. I have both new Euro machines and “old iron”.

Jeff Heath
03-29-2019, 5:57 PM
My entire shop is vintage iron. I have some new hand tools.....Lie Nielsen planes, Mike Wenzloff and Bad Axe saws, and planes I've made myself.

All machines are vintage USA made, and the newest was made in 1985, and the oldest 1905. They are all in perfect working order. I've restored them myself. I couldn't afford to buy the equivalent of my machines, all new from Northfield (the only company left), and still be able to make money as a business, being a 1 man shop for 30 years (now retired.) I had one Euro machine, a Martin T17, but I passed that along to a friend who is more appreciative of Martin machines than I, and is still working.

Osvaldo Cristo
03-29-2019, 6:05 PM
Thanks in advance!

There is no culture to sell small hand tools after use them in my country. When they appear to sell you can be sure at 99% that either they were robbed or they are in a trash state.

For industrial quality stationary tools there are a significant market but most of them available thru resellers, so they are not so cheap although usually they are refurbished and sold with some warranty. I would not have problems to purchase one of them if I found what I am looking for at a fair price... I never found!

Bottom line: all my power tools were purchased new.

Steve Reich
03-29-2019, 6:58 PM
As a hobbyist, bought all of my used stationary tools off Craigslist. I started with a contractor table saw, router and router table, drill press, planer, band saw, and sliding miter. In many ways, I'm glad that I did because each machine needed some cleaning, tuning, and adjusting, which taught me quite a bit about how each machine works. I did buy a jointer new (Jet JJ-6CSDX) but that was after a long and unsuccessful search for a new one; I acted to take advantage of a 15% off sale at the time. I did by the dust collector new without entertaining a search for a used one. Like others have remarked, I have bought the handheld power tools.

Mike Cutler
03-29-2019, 7:47 PM
A vacuum cleaner, or shop vac.
I did it once at a flea market.
Brought the vac home,plugged it in,and realized that the person it used to belong to smoked.
I doubt it ran in the garage/shop for more than 2-3 minutes,but I could still smell the cigarette smoke from the exhaust a week later.
I put it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it.

Chapel Eastland
03-29-2019, 8:25 PM
If it's a hand power tool under 400, I buy new.

If it's a bigger stationary tool, I'll considered it if it's fully fuctional, no problems (other than new blades, belts, small stuff) and I can buy it for 1/3 to 1/2 price of a new tool, mainly no more than 1/3rd. If it's not readily available locally, I insist on lots of photos, closeups of name plates, and sound videos of the tools starting and under load. That request usually eliminates 80% of the sellers immediately. By listening to the motor and watching the tool in action, I can determine what it's worth to me and if it's worth pursuing. 95% of the time, it's not. I'll let someone else buy that "treasure."

I'd rather buy new and deal with the warranty issues with the manufacturer than buy at 1/2 price and have to spend big bucks to make it work.

Craigslist is full of junker power tools that the owner thinks is fairly priced at 3/4ths retail of a new tool. I see old Shopsmiths, Craftsman, and other relics rusted, incomplete, and nasty that the owner says is 'vintage, reliable, or a bargain.'

My time is more valuable than the additional cost to get a 'new' power tool versus a beater tool. Of course there are exceptions, but they are exceptionally rare.

Mike Kees
03-29-2019, 8:36 PM
I buy almost everything in my shop used. There are only three machines out of 16 currently in my shop that I purchased new. I am a carpenter and my tool trailer for work has a lot of used stuff too.Air tools,screwguns,etc. I check out pawnshops all the time. All my mechanical tools in the work trailer get replenished from pawnshops,why would I pay more than 2 bucks for a 3/8 rachet someone will lose in a year or so ? I have real quality machines at the shop with more Euro equipment all the time,all purchased used.

Art Tripp
03-30-2019, 2:15 AM
I have a definite preference toward buying new and have done so with all of my woodworking equipment with two exceptions.

I was able to purchase a new Dewalt DW735X Planer (with extension tables and extra knife set) last year from Amazon for $450 which caused me to look into finding a Jointer as a companion. After researching new and with the size of jointer I desired, the budget wasn't matching up with my wants so I turned to Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist to explore the options. After a period of time with diligent searching, I was able to find a 3hp 8" Grizzly G0490 Parallelogram Bed Planer in great condition on FB Marketplace for $750 (he was asking $800 / a new machine is $1,419 delivered). The owner had an entire shop of Grizzly equipment and was selling the items he didn't want to transport during a move several states away. I had the chance to give the machine a thorough look and we ran a few boards through with great results. Overall a jointer is a relatively simple machine which helped my provide some comfort in the purchase, and the parallelogram bed option allows for adjustment should things be out a bit (though he had the machine dialed in great). I have been more than satisfied with the jointer and it has performed flawlessly.

With a now even-more busted budget, I found myself in need of a proper dust collection system - given that I was using a shop vac / Dust Deputy combo and more capability was needed. I wasn't satisfied with the filtering that a bag filter offered so decided to skip the Harbor Freight (with upgrade in the future) option. Again, after a period of time with diligent searching, I found a 2hp Grizzly G0548Z w/ 1 micron canister filter listed on FB Marketplace. The owner had purchased the Grizzly new, but before assembling he bought a larger dust collector at an auction and the Grizzly sat in a spot in the back of his building until he needed the space for something else. When my wife and I arrived, he wasn't able to find the unassembled parts and while he was scouring the shop for them, I checked the Grizzly website for parts availability and pricing ($40 for the parts delivered). He was asking $250 for the DC but after being unable to locate the parts, I got it for $200, so my total cost was about $240 (new is $634 delivered). The machine had never been hooked up (no plug either) but we were able to connect it to 220v to confirm all was in working order and just a few days later, I had the missing parts ordered from Grizzly and on the machine. After an exterior clean-up of a couple years of sitting around (the inside was immaculate), the DC both ran and looked brand new.

With buying used, particularly if you come across a great item at a great price, you need to act QUICKLY because it will likely be gone soon after posting. With each of the Grizzly machines, I had been doing frequent and diligent searching and replied shortly after their posting, and I had the each sitting in my shop the same day it was listed (both were about an hour away from my home). If you take the time to research and to much comparison or other checking, there can be a chance it will be gone before you can get your foot in the door - if something looks like it could be good - have an informed idea of what you are looking for, have cash at the ready, make quick contact with the seller, start heading their direction as soon as arrangements can be made, do any necessary research if needed (have someone else drive so you can do so while on the road if you must), then give the equipment a through look through (operating the machine can be a necessity) and make your final decision and deal before anyone else has a chance.

In regard to other equipment, I purchased my Laguna 18BX Bandsaw new and would find it personally difficult to have bought a used one. The next major equipment on my shop wish list is Floor Drill Press and an upgraded Table Saw, each of which I would like to purchase new, though under just the right circumstances I might consider something used, condition being he highest priority with price being second (the same with many other larger / more expensive machines). For smaller equipment, I feel new is best and often the price difference isn't worth losing my 'peace of mind', though the exact circumstances involved has the ability to invoke my bargain/value buying ability - though I feel that finding something at a dealer at a sale price to be more comforting.

Prashun Patel
03-30-2019, 7:21 AM
I have no rules. Have bought many new and many used. If it’s a good deal and the tool is in good condition then I would do it.

Normally I would only buy batteries new, but I have even bought those used from someone whom I respected to be honest about their use.