PDA

View Full Version : L-N or Veritas Round Bottom Spokeshave?

Philip Glover
12-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I am in need of a round bottom spokeshave for I.D. radii / contours.<O:p</O:p
The contenders seem to be the L-N Boggs Curved Bottom or the Veritas Round Spokeshave. Both seem to be excellent in their own right.<O:p</O:p
Advice on pros & cons or preferences between these two is greatly appreciated.<O:p</O:p

Thanks in advance,

Phil Glover

Mark Singer
12-07-2005, 11:43 PM
I don't know the Boggs, LV spokeshave will need a little tuning to get a nice feel...their low angle shave is a real winner! I have the curved bottom and you will need to file the mouth a little and sharpen the iron...the LN is better on the curved modelhttp://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/sandingshaping/05p3201s1.jpg

Mike Wenzloff
12-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Philip,

If you are doing tight radii, the low angle, adjustable one Mark shows in his post works great--allowing for the type of wood being shaved (being a low angle some woods it will not like).

The heavier duty shaves from LV and LN are wonderful tools capable of fine work. Their weight and thick irons really make a difference.

I bought the Boggs before LV came out with theirs. I have used the LV a little, but not enough to form a comparitive opinion. All I can really say are that the Boggs are truly a good tool--both the flat and round.

Take care, Mike

Steve Wargo
12-08-2005, 2:25 AM
I'll second the Boggs Shaves. I have both and they work very well. If the radius is too tight, you may need to but close to the line with a band saw and then just scrape the contour.

Alan Turner
12-08-2005, 4:43 AM
I have both. Bought the Boggs when it came out, and it is fantastic for fine work. The mouth is quite fine, so the shavings must be as well. If you are too aggressive, the mouth will clog right away. It has about a 10" dia. or radius (can't recall which), which is a bit of a downside.

Because of this feature, I also bought the LV when it came out. It has a bit of a wider mouth so that it is not quite so fussy. It also has a mechanical adjustment, which is convenient. Its radius is quite a bit smaller, but I don't recall the measurement.
Both are winners. If the radius is not too tight for the Boggs, that is what I will finish with. When the LV first came out, LV had it on special if you bought both the radius bottom and hte flat bottom, which I did. Not so anymore, I think. It is also a fine tool. Note that the design of both is pretty close. FWW used to have a video on their website by Brian Boggs, a demo, and he showed how it is best to keep the pressure of the thumbs very low and close to the blade, which can be done with the older style Stanley 151, but the Boggs design is meant to make this holding method pretty much automatic. I think this is why the Boggs is such a good tool, and LV's is a bit of a knock-off on that design point.

James Mittlefehldt
12-08-2005, 5:22 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Lee VAlley use to make a Boggs spokeshave, or did I dream that in my sleep?

Mike Wenzloff
12-08-2005, 5:31 AM
Just to add to Alan's post, the LV spokeshaves' mouths are adjustable via shims.

A point of correction is that the Boggs round bottom shave is a 5" radius. Seems larger, but that's what they say it is. Regardless, as Alan says, the LV is a smaller radius.

Mike

Alan Turner
12-08-2005, 6:25 AM
Just to add to Alan's post, the LV spokeshaves' mouths are adjustable via shims.

A point of correction is that the Boggs round bottom shave is a 5" radius. Seems larger, but that's what they say it is. Regardless, as Alan says, the LV is a smaller radius.

Mike

Make that a 10" diameter. I knew it was one or the other.

tod evans
12-08-2005, 6:36 AM
my spokeshaves get used very little since i bought the nicholson 49-50 rasps....02 tod

Bob Smalser
12-08-2005, 10:18 AM
my spokeshaves get used very little since i bought the nicholson 49-50 rasps....02 tod

You'd think boatbuilders who make more round and oval doodads than a passel of woodworkers put together would need one of those.

Yet concave spoke shaves are rare in boat shops because a straight shave and a little sandpaper does just as well on those tight curves.

John Viola
12-15-2005, 3:57 PM
Yes, I do believe you are right-it was made by LV about 10-12 years ago. Not sure when L-N took over production.

Pam Niedermayer
12-15-2005, 8:14 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Millers Falls #1 cigar spokeshave for inside radius curves. It's very cool and I didn't have any problems finding one on ebay. To see one go to Ralph Brendler's site (http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/ ), click on Woodworking, then on Cigar Spokeshave ramblings.

Pam

Philip Glover
12-15-2005, 9:36 PM
Well.....I thought I would let people know what choice I made and why.
I picked the Veritas Round Bottom.

The main reason is the blade seems easier to adjust than the Boggs. The two height adjustment screws make it easy for me to set the depth and parallelism (azimuth) of the iron. Also, I like the notion of being able to change the throat. However, once I find a throat width that I like I probably won't change it, but I still like the idea that I can.

It was a difficult choice because I really like the Boggs too.

I did look at a Millers Falls #1 in a shop awhile ago. The big reason that I didn't buy it was it looked to be a tedious affair to sharpen - exactly as the Ralph Brendler artical points out.

Thanks for all the recommendations,
Phil Glover

P.S. - Merry Christmas!

Mark Stutz
12-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Philip,

Our own Dave Anderson is a big fan of the cigar shaves, and shaves in general:D . I think he has at least 3! And says the same thing...difficult to sharpen and adjust, and a learning curve, but once you get it down, they are apparently a joy to use. Someday.....:D ;)

Mark

Dave Anderson NH
12-17-2005, 8:28 AM
Yup, the MF #1 Cigar Shave has a learning curve all right. It took a little bit to learn to sharpen it and adjust it, but it was time well spent. No other style of shave can get into quite so sight an inside curve. I find them invaluable for doing cabriole legs- particularly the ankles and the top of the foot. To set the record straight, I actually have 4 of them.:D

Mark Stutz
12-17-2005, 9:10 AM
Well, I was close.:D I did say at least 3. You must have had one hidden away where I couldn't see it!