PDA

View Full Version : $299.99 Scam

Bruce Wrenn
03-28-2019, 9:18 AM
Got a new one yesterday. Caller said they HAD GONE out of business,and they owed me a $299.99 refund. If they had gone out of business, why would they be calling anyway? Plus robo call started talking before answering machine finished message. We NEVER answer our land line, just let the answering machine sift through the calls. Most hang up before message is complete.

glenn bradley
03-28-2019, 9:21 AM
I would have to guess that very conservatively, 75% of the calls I receive (received, not answered) are telemarketing.

Dennis Peacock
03-28-2019, 9:43 AM
I got a call last week saying that they wanted to buy my house because it was in foreclosure. I can promise you, my house is NOT in foreclosure. :D :)

Chuck Wintle
03-28-2019, 9:49 AM
Got a new one yesterday. Caller said they HAD GONE out of business,and they owed me a $299.99 refund. If they had gone out of business, why would they be calling anyway? Plus robo call started talking before answering machine finished message. We NEVER answer our land line, just let the answering machine sift through the calls. Most hang up before message is complete.
Ahh! So many scams and so little time!

Brian Tymchak
03-29-2019, 7:45 PM
I've been getting the "Your Microsoft license requires renewal" calls about twice a day lately..

John K Jordan
03-29-2019, 9:37 PM
Report to the FTC: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1 Every little bit helps.

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-29-2019, 9:41 PM
If only there was a way to blow up their computer by pushing a button on my end.

James Tibbetts
03-29-2019, 9:48 PM
If only :D

Mike Wilkins
03-30-2019, 8:51 AM
If those telemarketers spent as much time in a legitimate endeavor, instead of trying to scam folks, they would probably be very wealthy.

John K Jordan
03-30-2019, 9:27 AM
If only there was a way to blow up their computer by pushing a button on my end.

If that were possible just imagine the number of people who would threaten to blow up your computer and those of everyone who didn't send them $299.99.

Bob Glenn
03-30-2019, 11:46 AM
I am told the government has finally put phone carriers on notice to do something to block these calls. Verison has just introduced a new app that will block a majority of these calls. The app is free. Others supposed to follow. Now if they will just do something to disable cell phones if they are moving over five miles per hour.

John K Jordan
03-30-2019, 12:38 PM
...Now if they will just do something to disable cell phones if they are moving over five miles per hour.

That would make my wife unhappy if she is reporting a drunk driver or getting directions to the restaurant while I'm driving.

I think a method to prevent use while on the driver's side of the car would be better. Of course I can see it now - someone stretching their arm to hold the phone over the passenger seat while texting...

Bruce Wrenn
03-30-2019, 8:17 PM
Of course I can see it now - someone stretching their arm to hold the phone over the passenger seat while texting...Probably has already happened. I wonder if girls are taught how drive with ear up to phone in drivers ed now?

Jim Koepke
03-30-2019, 8:38 PM
Now if they will just do something to disable cell phones if they are moving over five miles per hour.

Don't you just hate it when after you are one of many having to go around someone in the left lane who is driving below the speed limit while talking of their phone?

It is almost enough to inspire me to get a PA system and an air horn.

Maybe a blast from the horn and someone yelling "hang up and drive" would put some sense into them. Maybe the person on the other end of the line would hear it and want to get off the phone.

jtk

Doug Garson
03-31-2019, 12:38 PM
What is really stupid is that you can send and receive text messages or make phone calls using voice commands with the OK Google command on Android phones (I assume Apple has a similar capability) without touching your phone or taking your eyes off the road and the app to do it is free.

Wade Lippman
03-31-2019, 7:51 PM
I got my first call from the IRS threatening prosecution if I didn't get back to them.
Is anyone really dumb enough to believe the IRS threatens by robocall?