PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, FTC.

Bill Jobe
03-28-2019, 12:28 AM
My tinnitus is much better today....far less ringing in my ears!

Bill Dufour
03-28-2019, 12:49 AM
? Federal trade commision?

Bruce Page
03-28-2019, 1:24 AM
Fast tool change?

Bill Jobe
03-28-2019, 1:44 AM
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/ftc-shuts-down-4-robocall-groups-responsible-for-billions-of-illegal-robocalls/amp/

Larry Frank
03-28-2019, 7:12 AM
Great news for us as the Federal Trade Commission shut down four companies making billions of robocalls. At least for now....

Lee Schierer
03-28-2019, 9:44 AM
Whoohoo way to go FTC. Keep up the good work. I wondered why we received no robo calls yesterday. The little guys get a break.

Frank Pratt
03-28-2019, 9:51 AM
I did only get 2 "Google" calls yesterday. Here's hoping the trend continues.

Jim Becker
03-28-2019, 12:46 PM
Carriers have been told that they need to deal with the spoofing problem "real soon now" or there will be regulation put in place according to an article on CNN.com I read today. On major carrier is about to test that. There are things to work out to avoid issues with "legal spoofing", such as is used to mask individual DID numbers on outgoing calls from legitimate business and government agencies, but we can hope that this gets dealt with in some reasonable way.

Marty Gulseth
03-28-2019, 1:54 PM
I have to wonder how many Robocalls originate offshore, where the FTC has no authority. Then, as Jim mentioned, it falls to the carriers to implement (and perhaps develop?) software/technology to sort out those originations. I’m glad the FTC took the steps that they did, but I expect this will take a while before it’s thoroughly settled.

Jim Becker
03-28-2019, 8:47 PM
I have to wonder how many Robocalls originate offshore, where the FTC has no authority. Then, as Jim mentioned, it falls to the carriers to implement (and perhaps develop?) software/technology to sort out those originations. I’m glad the FTC took the steps that they did, but I expect this will take a while before it’s thoroughly settled.
A substantial percentage of them are off-shore and generated by IP Dialer Systems, take "interesting" paths between "there" and "here" and then end up traversing the various carrier networks to the number they are dialing. That number is also generally random but increasingly closely matched to the spoofed CID. And yes, FTC has no authority over the origination. That's why they are finally starting to push harder on the carrier to develop better methods of detecting and quashing the spoofed calls...which are calls that applications like NoMoRobo cannot intercept.

Jim Koepke
03-29-2019, 12:56 AM
So that is why my phone has been pretty much quiet for the last few days.

Great.

jtk

Bob Glenn
03-29-2019, 11:34 AM
My cell phone is turned offf until I need it.

Bill Dufour
03-29-2019, 6:39 PM
I bet the companies have always had the ability to track the unspoofed numbers. They just allowed them to hide the numbers but now the FTC is making them reveal the true numbers so they can be blocked.
Did you really think the phone companies couldn't charge the spanners for the cost of the calls?
Bill D.

Bill Jobe
03-29-2019, 8:13 PM
I think the problem is bigger than all of us and (sadly) won't end until they chip every human being on the planet.

Bill Dufour
03-29-2019, 9:02 PM
I suppose schools should be exempted but Bill Gate's spam answer would work for robocalls as well. First 1,000 a month are free then cost is 1/1000 of a penny per call.
Bill

Bill Jobe
03-30-2019, 2:19 AM
https://gizmodo.com/verizons-spam-blocking-call-filter-is-now-free-1833672933/amp:)

Marty Gulseth
04-03-2019, 12:26 AM
I’ve experienced only a very slight reduction - down from 8 to 10 per day to maybe 5 to 6. For a while about a year ago I would regularly get 12 to 15 for a while, then the volume would subside to the above number.

Frank Pratt
04-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Well that didn't last. Yesterday afternoon I had 6 calls & then 12 more this morning in the last 3 hours. All from Florida area codes.

Lee Schierer
04-05-2019, 6:56 PM
Well that didn't last. Yesterday afternoon I had 6 calls & then 12 more this morning in the last 3 hours. All from Florida area codes.
Your assumption that they were all from Florida area codes is likely incorrect. Recently before the case was settled I was getting 3-4 calls to my home number that were coming from my home number.

Tony Zona
04-05-2019, 9:28 PM
I’m getting the same or a few more nuisance calls on my landline.

This won’t be solved until there’s no money to be made.

I’m very skeptical of current solutions. Most are available with a monthly fee.

Follow the money. Those causing the problem are offering solutions, for a fee.

Jim Koepke
04-06-2019, 3:06 AM
I’m getting the same or a few more nuisance calls on my landline.

This won’t be solved until there’s no money to be made.

I’m very skeptical of current solutions. Most are available with a monthly fee.

Follow the money. Those causing the problem are offering solutions, for a fee.

How about an electrical current solution?

They might get me to subscribe to that if the monthly fee wasn't too high.

jtk

Frank Pratt
04-06-2019, 3:52 AM
Your assumption that they were all from Florida area codes is likely incorrect. Recently before the case was settled I was getting 3-4 calls to my home number that were coming from my home number.

Oh, I know they could be from anywhere. A couple of years ago it was the trend to spoof a number that had the same area code & first 3 digits of my own number. Now, and for the last few months they mostly have FL area codes. All of today's calls were from just 3 numbers.

Curt Harms
04-06-2019, 5:25 AM
Oh, I know they could be from anywhere. A couple of years ago it was the trend to spoof a number that had the same area code & first 3 digits of my own number. Now, and for the last few months they mostly have FL area codes. All of today's calls were from just 3 numbers.

I still get the 'own first 6 digits' foolishness on my cell phone. I suspect the 3 digits is to get around spam blockers that only recognize 10 digit numbers. I use nomorobo on the land line. One clever spammer was showing nomorobo's phone number on the caller ID.

Jim Koepke
04-06-2019, 2:33 PM
Just when the calls were starting to taper off this morning's call was from a political candidate.

It is going to be a long, long time 'til November 2020.

jtk

Bill Jobe
04-06-2019, 6:44 PM
My spam calls are up again.
They use 781 prefixes which is Verizon, what I have.
I get the name and number of the real owner of the number.
Most of my calls are from that racketeering power.