PDA

View Full Version : My first vase

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I got into turning a month or so ago and have made 2 bowls, 10 or so spinning tops, 2 inside out ornaments, and 2 coasters. Here is my first attempt at a vase.

It is made with a local wood called Mescal Bean which is basically a bush that seldome gets large enough to make anything more than pens out of. I happened to have some root balls that were larger. The vase is 4" tall and 2 1/4" wide at the widest part. It is hollowed all the way and but the inside is not very smooth since it was too hard to get in there since I don't have any hollowing tools.

I sanded it to 1,500 grit on the lathe and then followed with white diamond polishing compound and pink jewlers rouge. I then applied a coat of lacquer sanding sealer with the lathe running and heat cured it like friction finish. The top coat is 2 coats of Deft gloss lacquer applied in the same fashion.

The finish is VERy smooth and consistent with an awesome gloss. I did not know you could use lacquer as a friction finish.

Anyway, please give me some VERy brutal and honest feedback so I can improve. Thanks!

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:30 AM
Very nice for a first try Curtis. As I have turned HF, I have found and been told that it is better to have the wide part of the transition in the top third of the form instead of the bottom. I am trying to learn to do that myself and sometimes the piece of wood will not allow this. But it does make for a lighter looking piece.

Again this is a great start and we all keep learning as we go. ;)

John Hart
12-08-2005, 6:59 AM
Lookin' good Curtis. Looks like you are well on your way. Nice looking wood too!! Ain't the inside just a pain in the neck??!!!

Chris Barton
12-08-2005, 7:34 AM
Hi Curtis,

Nice HF for your first timne out. I really like the color and texture of the wood. As to form, if you are going for one of the more traditional styles then, like Dick said, move the transition point higher, smooth out the transitions and go with a smaller collar and base. On the other hand, if you are going for a more modern look the angular transitions are probably spot on and I would just consider working on the balance of the piece such as the size relationship between the bottom, transition point of the body (widest point) and the collar treatment.

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2005, 8:35 AM
Very nice design. And the wood is stunning. :)

Karl