PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade stuck

Bob Potter
03-26-2019, 9:21 PM
Hi
Question, has any one ever had a saw blade stuck on a table saw?My saw is a Delta 30 yr old contractor saw. And in the 30 yrs this has never happened. This saw only has one wrench so I just put a block of wood again the blade and it always until comes loose. The arbor turned with the blade and yes I was going the right direction So I sprayed it with WD40 a couple of times and than it finally came loose. I than put the dado blade on and made my cuts. Than loosen the nut and it came off like always. And than the thing that you don't want to happen did , no I did not drop the nut in the dust collection but I did drop the flange washer in But thanks to my WONDERFUL WIFE of 60 yrs who is still WONDERFUL who yrs ago bought me a magnet on a telescoping rod. the washer flange came out and all turned out well.
Any way don't know why it was stuck because I never tighten it down very hard.
Thanks for listening and tell me what you think made it do that. Bob

Bill Dufour
03-26-2019, 9:24 PM
30 years of sappy wood stuck it on.:rolleyes:

Bob Potter
03-26-2019, 9:30 PM
The blade hasn't been on that long but it did make me laugh.

Floyd Mah
03-26-2019, 9:37 PM
Notice that the arbor nut and bolt are left handed threads. If they were right handed threaded and properly tightened, the first time that your blade encounters some wood, as intended, the nut would be loosened. Every time you use the saw subsequently, the nut would loosen more until the blade is free spinning. This is just to say that the proper function of the nut is to tighten as long as the blade hits wood. Anyway, just saying the obvious. Sometimes I have to wedge a piece of wood in the opening to help with freeing the blade when using one wrench.

Lee Schierer
03-27-2019, 7:51 AM
If your blade was a thin kerf blade it is possible that your nut threads are bottoming out before the flange washer makes good contact with the side of the blade. 30 years of wear might have changed how the threads engage on the arbor. You may need to add a spacer on the other side of the blade to insure good contact with the flange washer.

Frank Pratt
03-27-2019, 10:31 AM
I had that happen a couple of times with my old Jet contractor saw. Hold the blade with a block & turn the arbor nut with a wrench & the arbor just turned on the blade & the nut didn't loosen. I had to give the wrench a few sharp whacks with a hammer to get the nut loosened. Fortunately my current saw has a spot on the arbor for a wrench so there isn't that problem with this one.

Al Launier
03-27-2019, 11:33 AM
As for losing either the nut or flange I've dropped either of them a number of times over the years. To help retrieve them I've glued several rare earth magnets to the right side of the plastic housing below the table that encompasses the saw blade. With the blade in the uppermost position I can reach in & retrieve the the nut or flange. If they should bypass the magnets they can be retrieved from the wooden enclosure below the saw that holds the DC hose.