PDA

View Full Version : Does Microsoft contact computers?

lowell holmes
03-26-2019, 12:37 PM
When I boot my computer up first thing in the morning, I have been getting a message that is from Microsoft.
I have never responded to it and don't intend to.

Is this a Scam?

Brian Tymchak
03-26-2019, 12:42 PM
could be. if you subscribe to their update service and have updates to apply. Post the message you are getting.

lowell holmes
03-26-2019, 12:51 PM
I will have to post it in the morning. I have already deleted it. I did update Microsoft three years ago.

Chuck Wintle
03-26-2019, 1:28 PM
When I boot my computer up first thing in the morning, I have been getting a message that is from Microsoft.
I have never responded to it and don't intend to.

Is this a Scam?
What does the message say?

Tom Stenzel
03-26-2019, 4:20 PM
My Win 8.1 laptop is set to check for updates but for me to manually download and install them. If there's updates available and I don't install them after a few days a box will pop up that says to install them. So it's possible that the box is legitimate.

I don't install using the pop up box, I use the Windows Update utility.

-Tom

Aaron Rosenthal
03-27-2019, 3:12 AM
It MAY be a scam. But ......
If we know which operating system you have, and what the message is, we could give better advice.
I have windows 10 Pro. My updates are downloaded automatically and they are installed without me worrying about it. Let us know.

lowell holmes
03-27-2019, 9:47 AM
The message did not appear this morning. I think it was a scam.

Chuck Wintle
03-28-2019, 9:47 AM
I will have to post it in the morning. I have already deleted it. I did update Microsoft three years ago.
3 years ago? A little behind on the updates? And FYI the OS is normally called Windows and not microsoft as they do make many other software products. So you need to be specific. And did microsoft have an indian accent?

lowell holmes
03-31-2019, 2:59 PM
It has not reappeared, at this time I'm sure it was a scam.