PDA

View Full Version : Coring Tool

Andy Hoyt
12-07-2005, 8:28 PM
With reference to all that hickory I scored last week, I'm gonna start slabbing it tomorrow and then launch into a moderately frantic roughing marathon. But as I contemplate that, I'm thinking of all that wasted wood ending up on the floor. And this leads me into thinking/dreaming/wondering about coring rigs. This was never a worry before on my smaller lathe, but now that I can do big stuff, it is.

So a few questions for you folks.

Do any of you have one of these things?
If so, which one, and would you recommend it?
Do you use it all the time? Some of the time? Or hardly ever?
Does it bother you that the control over the bowl's shape is given over to the rig?
Or is there a way to counter that?
Are they better left for green stock, or do they work just as well on dryer stuff?
Other things to consider? Thanks, Andy

Gary DeWitt
12-07-2005, 9:23 PM
I don't have one, and havn't used one myself, but I've seen them demonstrated twice, both times the Macnaughton system. Both pros perferred this one over the One Way. They both used it on green wood, one said it COULD be used on dry wood, but with considerably more effort.
The way the system works, the operator chooses the thickness of his rough blank and to some degree the angle of attack, therefore the depth of the core. Because of this, you do have considerable control of final shape. Obviously, you're not going to get a nice ogee shape and a trapezoid shape out of the same chunk of wood, and consistent shape throughout a single piece of wood will give you the most blanks for each one. Mike Mahoney showed us a set of nested NE bowls, either 6 or 7 IIRC, he got out of the same blank.
Altho I only have a Delta midi, I'll be interested in hearing how this goes for you. Good luck.

Cecil Arnold
12-07-2005, 9:25 PM
Andy, I bought the Oneway with the small knife and it will be for sale soon as I'm going to the McNaughton as soon as someone can get one in Houston. My problem with the Oneway is the cost as the knives are about $150 each (est.) and you need more than one. The knife I have will cut 9-11" cores and I have managed to locate some 20" stock. It would cost almost as much to get two more knives as the McNaughton rig. I find that I tend to reach for it whenever I have stock in the 12" and larger range. I have not used it on dried wood. While the tool does give the core a shape, if you want it is pretty easy to modify that shape, then take another core. Bill Gumbine seems to prefer the McNaughton and I would have bought it in the first place but was in the position of needing one "now" and the McNaughtons were out of stock then as now.

Jim Ketron
12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Andy I have the McNaughton, standard and large set.
Its a nice tool when you master it, there is a big learning curve with it! But you can do a lot more with it than the other systems with practice.
I like Mine I have saved some nice wood from becoming shavings in the pile!
I use it on figured wood and burls mostly or maybe some hard to find regular wood.

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:32 AM
I am with Jim, after the learning curve you can save a lot of wood with it.

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks, guys.

I've watched the Oneway video on coring and that was most helpful. Tried to find something similar on the MacNaughton and struck out. Any of you know if one exists?

Cecil - One thing I do like about the Oneway system is the lower piece that moves into the cut to support the arm doing the cutting. I see that as most advantageous. But you're gonna move away from that with the MacNaughton. Does this concern you? Or should it not concern me?

With a $300 difference between the complete Oneway and MacNaughton systems it seems like something is totally wonky. Does anyone have an opinion on this point?

Thanks.

Cecil Arnold
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Andy, it does concern me but I managed to bend the knife with the support (repaired) and a replacement McNaughton knife is half that of a Oneway. You have to stop and reset the support about every inch to inch and a half of cut, and getting the support realigned is not as easy as it seems, though not all that difficult. You might PM Bill Gumbine, as he is really high on the McNaughton and has some pictures of its use on his web site. I also understand there may be a video floating around somewhere on using it. I think I've seen an inquiry here on the creek of someone trying to locate one.

Ed Lang
12-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I have the OneWay system and all of the knives. I find it easy to install and easy to use. Because of the quickness that it installs and cuts, I use it a lot. I find I core almost every bowl I turn. I also find sharpening it quite fast and easy.

I have never used another system so I only have this to go on. One day I will get to see one to the other systems in use and I may change my mind but for now, I am quite happy and glad I have this one.

Ernie Nyvall
12-08-2005, 9:26 PM
Thanks, guys.

I've watched the Oneway video on coring and that was most helpful. Tried to find something similar on the MacNaughton and struck out. Any of you know if one exists?

Cecil - One thing I do like about the Oneway system is the lower piece that moves into the cut to support the arm doing the cutting. I see that as most advantageous. But you're gonna move away from that with the MacNaughton. Does this concern you? Or should it not concern me?

With a $300 difference between the complete Oneway and MacNaughton systems it seems like something is totally wonky. Does anyone have an opinion on this point?

Thanks.

Andy, Bil G has the McNaughton and I believe has something on his site about it. If not I'm pretty sure he'd answer some questions.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys. I've been to Bill G's site and it's very helpful. Sent a message to him and hope to hear back.

By the by, I've never seen Bill's video. For those of you that have, would you let me know if he uses the McNaugton system in it and if that use provides an intuitive understanding of said rig.

I also spent a little time on the AAW site looking for info and found this pdf (http://www.hockenbery-woodturnings.com/CoringwiththeMcNaughtonCentrerev.pdf) that I thought was pretty good.

Jim Ketron
12-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I have the Mike Mahoney DVD it shows ya how to properly use the McNaugton. well worth it and it will save some time on learning!
Jim