PDA

View Full Version : Glock Slide + 30w Fiber

Trey Tull
03-25-2019, 9:00 AM
A friend of mine wants me to put some initials on a Glock Slide. Since I don't have a bunch of test pistols sitting around to dial in the settings, would one of you gun guru's mind sharing some 30w fiber parameters that will allow me to engrave the slide? Also, how would you go about testing something like a gun slide w/o a slide? Thanks guys.

Kev Williams
03-25-2019, 1:15 PM
Test on any piece of stainless or tool steel, that'll get you close...

After 3 years I'm still working on how to cleanly deep engrave. Best advice I have at this point, is to fight the urge to run 300mm/s passes to get deep fast, better to run much faster and more passes to avoid slaggy edges.
Also, follow a few cut passes with cleanup passes, then more cut passes, etc...

John Lifer
03-25-2019, 1:18 PM
One of the things I played with when I got my fiber was a scrap sheet of aluminum. I had several thick plates laying around (1/8" thick deck plate) I engraved all sorts of junk on a couple. Also, I has some 1x1" thin wall tubing. I painted and engraved that. Roughly same size as a slide. was able to 'see' what it would look like. Glocks tenifer coating is hard. It takes a bit to cut through, I usually use deep metal engraving settings and follow with a cleaning pass setting. These are TYKMA initial settings, I find most are a starting place. (search here,links beenposted at least twice)

Trey Tull
03-25-2019, 2:36 PM
Thanks Guys. I have the TYKMA document, so I'll some test there. I'm always somewhat cautious when I'm doing something for the first time w/o a test piece. My buddy doesn't care if its engraved deep, he really just wanted the coating removed. Similar to what I would do to an AR lower.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-25-2019, 7:33 PM
If he wants it superficial, why not use your Universal? My CO2 Epilog works fine on tenifer....

Trey Tull
03-25-2019, 7:59 PM
It turned out good. I practiced on one of my pistols before I did this one. Thanks for the pointers!

Tony South
04-02-2019, 6:05 AM
Looks great!!