PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a pressure washer, 4000+ psi

Kev Williams
03-24-2019, 3:22 PM
Did a search, last relevant post was 12 years ago so I'm starting anew :)

The story: We have a 50' steel bottom SkipperLiner houseboat. About 12 years ago (ironically) I was able to borrow this beast from a friend-
It had diesel fired water heater, and IIRC the specs were 210° water, 4200psi and 4.5gpm. This thing was wonderful for cleaning the bottom, and finding hidden rust; if there was ANY rust hiding under the bottom paint, this thing uncovered it. It had enough power that, when I was dumb enough to see how well it might wash my truck, with the nozzle about a foot away it stripped the clearcoat right off...!

So present day, the short version is I've been doing hull repairs, and I've found all the obvious rust and I'm at the point I need to again find any hiding rust. The steam cleaner is gone now, so I've been searching out a rental. Can't find one, at least not from 'normal' sources and/or near me. The closest to me I've found is a 5000 psi cold water machine, but they want $300 a day to rent the thing. I'd rather buy...

SO- I'm finding that the 'affordable' machines end at 4400 psi, above that seems to triple the price and go from there. Other than 'the beast', the only other pressure washers I'm familiar with are 3000 psi or less machines. I currently have a 2700 Generac, about 6 years old and haven't even changed an o-ring yet. What I needing to know is, did the hot water in the steam machine help much, or was brute water force the biggest factor? There's no grease or oil involved...

I'm finding machines between 4000 and 4400 psi with pricing between $789 for a 'consumer duty' 4000 Simpson/Honda, to $989 for a Belt drive 4400 Simpson/Kohler, or $999 for a direct drive 4400 Simpson/Kohler ('industrial/contractor' machines) -For those who use these things, is there much difference between 4000 and 4400 psi? I'm assuming so, but I'm wondering if it's worth $200 extra to go from the consumer-Simpson to the contractor-Simpson? And is belt drive a plus or minus? And what about brands? All the above are courtesy of 'All Pressure Washers'... FWIW I can get a 4200 Generac from their website for $989. Warranty's seem to be 3-5 years motor 3-5 years pump depending...

Thanks !

Tom M King
03-24-2019, 4:15 PM
When my Mi-T-M wears out, that I bought new sometime around 1997, not including its second motor that it's on now, I'll buy another one. It's run days on end sometimes, and I remember once when it was 5 days one week, and the first two the next blasting whitewash off the interior basement stone walls in an early 19th Century house. It's been run several weeks every Spring since I bought it, and still works like it did when it was new.

John Stankus
03-24-2019, 4:34 PM
The local Northern Tools usually has a pressure washer on a trailer in front the entrance that looks similar to the setup you are looking for.
Their website has this smaller one NorthStar Trailer-Mounted Hot Water Commercial Pressure Washer — 4000 PSI, 4.0 GPM, Honda Engine, 200-Gal. Water Tank for only $7799

Scott T Smith
03-31-2019, 7:52 AM
I’ve owned a Northern Tool 4000 psi cold pressure washer for about 18 years. No complaints with it. A “Turbo” spray nozzle significantly increases the effectiveness of the machine.

I’ve always thought that steam / hot water were more effective on greasy equipment, but it sure wouldn’t hurt on boat hulls.