PDA

View Full Version : Butcher block converted to joinery bench?

James W Glenn
03-24-2019, 1:53 PM
I was given a big ole maple butcher-block. I don't know what it weighs but I'm guessing well over 400 pounds. Lives where risked getting on the first leg of it journey to my shop. I'm thinking that it would make a good joinery bench, but I feel like it will be hard to keep it from being top heavy and hazardous. The original legs are tenoned into the bottom and wobbly. The kind person who was trying to help me move it jumped in and almost got a foot crushed when it went over. I didn't measure it but I'll guess its a 32x32x20" block. So its not getting a face vise. Any suggestions?

Frederick Skelly
03-24-2019, 2:12 PM
Well, you can't use it as a standalone bench it it is wobbly. So you either need to repair/replace the legs or build a more stable frame around it. Why don't you post a couple pictures?

(I keep wondering if you could fix the legs and then clean/sterilize it well enough to use in the kitchen? A butcher block can be very handy there.)

Fred

Flamone LaChaud
03-24-2019, 3:42 PM
Technically with a chainsaw and a steady hand - he could have both a joinery bench and a butcher block in the kitchen. Might be unpopular, but cutting it into a bottom and a top section, or 3 sections each being about 6" thick would allow him to have a few more options. Plus something that's 32"x32"x6" would be less likely to kill if it should tip over, or a leg give way - and not take a team of people to move around.

James W Glenn
03-24-2019, 5:39 PM
What is this "team of people" and where do I get one? I left the block out of state till I can fetch it with a trailer. I didn't feel comfortable putting it in the car with me and getting on I-95. I was thinking about cutting it in half and using the lower section to ballast what ever structure I build under the top.

Derek Cohen
03-24-2019, 7:02 PM
By the time you build a new base, new legs, cut the top in half and flatten it, you may as well start from scratch.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gary Ragatz
03-24-2019, 7:59 PM
Not sure how this might factor into your decision making, but looking on-line, it seems that a maple butcher block of the size you're describing would sell for $1500-2000.

https://butcherblockco.com/product/prbl

ken hatch
03-25-2019, 12:33 AM
By the time you build a new base, new legs, cut the top in half and flatten it, you may as well start from scratch.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yep, and more likely to end up with a bench of usable size as well. I'm not sure it applies here but what is the old saying, if you only have a hammer everything looks like a nail.

ken

Christopher Charles
03-25-2019, 12:48 AM
If the base isn't totally wobbly and you can bolt it to a wall, it may be suitably stable. But I agree with Derek and Ken that it may be less effort to start from scratch, depending on your end goal.

Best of luck,
C

Jim Koepke
03-25-2019, 2:48 AM
A good butcher block is a much sought after item.

jtk

William Fretwell
03-25-2019, 9:46 AM
Too small for joinery, never mind the vise problems. Re-make the legs and tenons, re-finish the top and sell it. Got to be worth far more to a butcher than you.

Jake Rothermel
03-29-2019, 2:01 PM
If you're not into refinishing the top (excellent test for how sharp can you *really* get your smoothing plane, from what I hear...), it might make an outstanding, if perhaps a bit overzealous, sharpening station....?