PDA

View Full Version : 3D Square Precision Corners from Jevons Tool are a great help with glue-ups

Frank Pellow
12-07-2005, 7:23 PM
These are handy little gadgets that I don't think anyone has mentioned here. I certainly can't find any sign of them in a search.

They are 90 degree corners guaranteed to .002"

Their use is best shown by example. So, here are they are supporting the two middle shelves of a cabinet that I glued together about half an hour ago:

I own 8 of these braces and that covers most glue-ups but, at times, I have wished for even more.

They are manufactures by the Jevons Tool company of Kansas City Kansas and one company that sells them is Lee Valley (see:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=51101&cat=3,43576)

Walt Pater
12-07-2005, 8:01 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Pellow]These are handy little gadgets

I'll second that, Frank. I have two pair.

Karl Laustrup
12-07-2005, 8:21 PM
Those do look like they would be pretty handy, Frank.

It's good to see you working on a project again in your shop. :) Seems like it's been quite a while. :)

Karl

Frank Pellow
12-07-2005, 8:27 PM
It's good to see you working on a project again in your shop. :) Seems like it's been quite a while. :)

Karl

It has been a while Karl. The last real project I did inside the shop was last March (when my shop was still very much in a state of flux).

I got back to the shop in mid November and have several projects on the go. I expect that I am averaging 8 hours a day 6 days a week and I LOVE IT!

John Stevens
12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Bought four last year to use for cabinet and carcase assembly. Found they're also pretty handy for squaring fences and the like. Will buy another set at the WW show this weekend so I can dedicate a few to shop-made jigs.

Tyler Howell
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I have 4 of Rocklers plastic models.
They were on sale with some cheasie clamps. They work pretty good when I remember to use them:o .

TJH

Christian Aufreiter
12-10-2005, 3:40 PM
Those squares look very useful, Frank. I thought about building something like that several times but somehow I always forgot to do it after a cabinet had been assembled. I guess I should ad it to my "to-do-list".

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
12-10-2005, 6:09 PM
Those squares look very useful, Frank. I thought about building something like that several times but somehow I always forgot to do it after a cabinet had been assembled. I guess I should ad it to my "to-do-list".

Regards,

Christian
Yes, I often thought of building something simple like this myself, but building such squares is very typical of something that I should do and seldom get around to doing. :( I am glad :) that I did not wait for me but, instead, went ahead and purchased some.

Christian Aufreiter
12-10-2005, 7:44 PM
Yes, I often thought of building something simple like this myself, but building such squares is very typical of something that I should do and seldom get around to doing. :( I am glad :) that I did not wait for me but, instead, went ahead and purchased some.

Yes, ordering a bunch of braces is certainly a good option. It would be difficult to build braces at the same level of accuracy - at least for me. However, I've never seen such braces here. No choice for me.:o

Regards,

Christian

Per Swenson
12-10-2005, 8:51 PM
Hello all,

I also own the rocklers and well,

I went looking for something better.

I never thought of Lee Vally, so I ended up

here, http://www.woodpeck.com/clampingsquare6.html

Yes they are a little more, but they often go on sale,

If you opt for their e-mail program.

Not to take anything away from Frank's thoughtful post,

I believe all clamping squares are essential.

Actually, truth be known I got sold because they are pretty.

Per

Frank Pellow
12-10-2005, 9:47 PM
Per, the squares that you referenced look good. I expect that I would have been just as happy with them as with the ones that I have.

Bob Cooper
12-10-2005, 10:01 PM
frank,

i can't find these on lee valley...you link only takes me to their main woodworking page. do they still sell them?

Peter Stahl
12-10-2005, 10:42 PM
frank,

i can't find these on lee valley...you link only takes me to their main woodworking page. do they still sell them?

Here's the full link. I did a right click over the link then copy and pasted the address. I added the double quotes so you could see it as text.
"http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43838,51101&p=51101"

Frank Pellow
12-11-2005, 7:57 AM
frank,

Sorry about that Bob, I usually test these things after I post them, but obviously I neglected to do so this time. The link now takes you to the corner braces (which they still sell).

Frank Pellow
12-11-2005, 7:59 AM
Here's the full link. I did a right click over the link then copy and pasted the address. I added the double quotes so you could see it as text.
"http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43838,51101&p=51101"
Peter, thanks for assisting before I fixed the link.

John Stevens
12-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Not sure about the Rocklers, but the Jevons are square to within .002" over 6", which is why they can be used to square fences. I assume the ones sold by Woodpeckers are just as square.

The Woodpeckers are anodized, so they won't mark the wood. Obviously, the Rocklers won't leave any marks or scratches. I don't think the Jevons models are anodized, but so far they haven't left any marks on the wood, even a light-colored wood like maple. Maybe I've just been lucky.

The Jevons models have holes in them, so they can be screwed or bolted onto jigs.