PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #45 Combination plane micro fence lock screw

Jeff Griest
03-23-2019, 8:48 PM
Hi guys, I hope this is the right area for this question. I just picked up a nice #45 off of ebay and found the the micro fence lock screw is missing. Does anyone know what the size is? It close to a 10-24 or 10-32. I think it is pretty close to a 10-24 as it screws in a bit more than the 10-32. You can find the screws on ebay but they are very pricey ($20 and up). Does anyone know the exact specs on the screw and if there is a modern equivalent. The plane is for woodworking, not sitting on shelf to impress someone.

Bill Houghton
03-23-2019, 9:32 PM
You can, if you're willing, rethread the hole to fit modern standards. Use a 10-32 tap, if I recall correctly; let me know if you need me to check.

Jeff Griest
03-23-2019, 10:07 PM
Thanks Bill! After I posted here I discovered that the screw for the blade lock down retainer is the same size screw. Turns out that screw is .185" while the 10-24/10-32 is .190" Haven't had a chance to check the thread pitch but I may see if I sand down the threads by .005" if it will work...if not I will re-tap it as you suggest. I will post back here the results

Jim Koepke
03-24-2019, 1:10 AM
Thanks Bill! After I posted here I discovered that the screw for the blade lock down retainer is the same size screw. Turns out that screw is .185" while the 10-24/10-32 is .190" Haven't had a chance to check the thread pitch but I may see if I sand down the threads by .005" if it will work...if not I will re-tap it as you suggest. I will post back here the results

To the best of my recollection it is a 10-28. Interesting this since the same thread is used on the Stanley #42X saw set handle pivot screw. This got me to purchase a die from Victornet:

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Special-Pitch-Dies-up-to-1-2/1350.html

They do have a $25 minimum. If you need dies, taps, drill bits or other items they are good folks.

jtk