PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy filler

Kevin Hampshire
03-23-2019, 2:04 PM
Anyone ever use an epoxy filler for filling cracks in stock.

I have some QS white oak crotch that has a few small cracks. I think a black epoxy filler would look pretty good but I’ve never used any.

Rick Whitehead
03-23-2019, 2:14 PM
Yes,I have used West System epoxy with their black dye to fill knots and cracks in walnut.
I used their fumed silica (Cab-O-Sil) to thicken the mixture so it wouldn't run out the cracks that went all the way through. However, I did tape a barrier under the crack to make sure the epoxy didn't all run out.
I filled the cracks and knots above the surface of the wood and then scraped and sanded the filler flush with the surface of the wood.

Rick

Jack Frederick
03-23-2019, 4:10 PM
I just filled some cracks on Walnut with finely crushed turquoise and thin isocyanurate glue. Came out pretty well.

Jim Koepke
03-23-2019, 5:02 PM
Some of my tote repairs have rosewood sawdust mixed with epoxy.

jtk

William Fretwell
03-23-2019, 6:42 PM
I have used West epoxy thickened with bronze powder (really copper), very cool in black walnut.

Derek Cohen
03-23-2019, 9:36 PM
Use a two-part 5-minute epoxy for filling cracks. I have several small jars of concrete tint for colouring the epoxy. A contrast, such as black, is an attractive way to deal with some.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bill McNiel
03-23-2019, 10:03 PM
I have, and will continue, to use West Systems with TransTint dyes with excellent results.

Tony Shea
03-24-2019, 3:46 PM
I just recently had to do an epoxy fill that is died black. I personally am not that confident in 5-minute epoxy and will always resort to the more reliably West System or something similar. I personally have had mixed results using 5-minute brands, although if you choose a really good quality brand it may never give you an issue. I have used 5-minute West System epoxy with good results but I would not recommend going to the home center and picking up the brands they carry.

The die I used was something I picked up from Amazon. It was designed to be used with epoxy therefore I felt much more comfortable using it due to not messing with my mix ratios too bad. The die is pure black and took one drop to instantly turn the mix. I was really happy with the results. The die is linked below if you're interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD39K55/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1