PDA

View Full Version : Any difference between version Ridgid Oscillating sander eb4424 and newer eb44242

Rick Pinzon
03-23-2019, 1:18 PM
I am planning on on buying a used Ridigd oscillating sander model EB4424. This appears to be an older version in beige color that has been replaced to the orange one current sold in stores model #EB44242. Is the orange one any better or worse than the beige one? I am asking because Im sure it can go either way. Maybe the orange is an improved model or simply is a lower quality to increase profits for Ridgid. anyone have experience with both. I have the option of buying either one used for about the same price and both look to be in the same good shape.

Dave Sweeney
03-23-2019, 1:44 PM
The EB4424 was made prior to Sep. of 2003 by Emerson/Ridge Tool and the EB44242 was made after that date by TTI/OWT. Other than that I think that the two are identical with maybe a minor adjustment here or there. Depending on condition of course, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

Sam Puhalovich
03-24-2019, 6:39 AM
Rick ... when you go to look-at-it ... remove the belt and check the platen for flatness. I bought a EB44242 about 15+ years-ago. I seldom used it for anything 'serious'. The results when using the spindle-sander were always satisfactorily square. The results when using the platen were always somewhat out-of-square. One day I decided that I would true-up some small pieces that were too short to put thru the drum sander. The results were a top-to-bottom taper and side-to-side belly. I found that the the platen is made from a mild steel that you can deform by hand ... the bottom does not have any kind of stiffener for support ... so, with pressure, will flex while your sanding ... and with enough pressure will permanently deform. I ordered a supposedly replacement part ... it did not fit. A call to Rigid confirmed that the parts were NOT interchangeable ... using would have required also replacing the motor assembly. I have since given-up on ever using the platen again and have made a larger top for it to be used as a spindle sander only.

Matthew Hills
03-24-2019, 9:24 AM
Rick ... when you go to look-at-it ... remove the belt and check the platen for flatness. I bought a EB44242 about 15+ years-ago. I seldom used it for anything 'serious'. The results when using the spindle-sander were always satisfactorily square. The results when using the platen were always somewhat out-of-square. ...

The edge sander is not square to my table either.
I do still use it, but I need to keep an eye on where the sanding is occurring and adjust with how I'm holding/presenting the workpiece.
(I'd be interested if anyone's was really square; it would be more convenient!)

Matt

Rick Pinzon
04-02-2019, 9:43 AM
For what it's worth, I bought the older model and I already had the orange model but I bought it because it was part of a package deal with another tool that I bought. I was able to compare the beige and orange side by side. I did notice that the beige seemed a bit heavier, I didn't put it on a scale but seemed slightly beefier and the plastic body seemed a bit thicker/made more solid. Again, I could just be imagining this but that was my impression.
Sound and speed of motor seemed the same
One major difference is the shaft where the spindles or belt attach to are different. The beige model has a squared edge near the top but below the threading that requires belt sander to line up in order for it to drop all the way down so it catches to allow it to spin when the motor is running. It required a bit more effort to drop in and line up and also to remove but seemed to work fine. The orange model has teeth as the bottom of the belt sander that lines up with the top of the motor when dropped in. Kind of like gears that require them to line up so it spins when the motor is started.
Spindles material and installation method seemed the same on bot. The coating on the rings on the beige model appeared to baked enamel
One final difference is the nut (reverse thread) that locks the spindles/belt in place were not swapable. To the naked eye, the threading seem identical but when swapping them I could not turn them with out noticeable resistance on the opposite sander and I did not want to strip out either one. It could be that the threads are worn to match with each original shaft.