PDA

View Full Version : Sphere Hollow Form

Jim Ketron
12-07-2005, 6:16 PM
This is my first attempt at a sphere shaped hollow form. After seeing the one Chris posted a week or so ago I had to give it a try. It's Box Elder with curl and red flame, the collar is Bloodwood (thanks Travis)
Finish is 2 coats of Gel Poly and buffed on the Beall. It measures a little over 4"

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/SphereHollowForm3.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/SphereHollowForm2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/SphereHollowForm.jpg

Jim Becker
12-07-2005, 6:18 PM
Ha! A "well rounded" effort! LOL! (Seriously, really nice work, Jim! I like it A LOT)

John Hart
12-07-2005, 6:44 PM
Beautiful Work Jim All-A-Round!! I love your choice of color and the wood is fantastic.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-07-2005, 6:53 PM
Darn.....................YOU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ARE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
12-07-2005, 6:56 PM
Wow Jim, that looks great!!

Ernie

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 7:08 PM
Mr. Ketron, you're just killin' me over here!!!:( First, you keep coming up with these phenomenal chunks 'o wood and then you transform them into stuff I can only dream about! Nice work, dude!:D First attempt, huh? Yup, yer killin' me over here!:) :cool:

Travis Stinson
12-07-2005, 7:10 PM
Still looks great Jim! Good job on every aspect.:D

Carole Valentine
12-07-2005, 7:34 PM
Lookin' good Jim! I have a problem with spherical shapes on the net...don't know if it is my monitor or my glasses. Yours looks to me like it may need squashing just a tiny tad to be spherical, but for all I can tell it maybe a perfect sphere!:D I think maybe the size of the collar could be throwing off my persepctive too.

Andy Hoyt
12-07-2005, 7:39 PM
Nice piece, Jim. You're an all around turner:)

Bill Stevener
12-07-2005, 8:27 PM
Very nice looking hollow form Jim, How do you do the back side?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Gary DeWitt
12-07-2005, 9:27 PM
Very nice looking sphere, Jim. That wood looks great from all sides, with something different and interesting on each one!
Spheres are interesting to turn, easier than it looks and more difficult than you might think.
Did you do your hollowing on a vacuum chuck?

Jim Ketron
12-07-2005, 9:29 PM
Bill It has a concave bottom and is a little over an inch wide. I use the Vac chuck to finish it off.
Gary I use a tenon to do the shape and hollow then use the Vac to finish off the bottom.

Thanks all For the kind words.

Mark Cothren
12-07-2005, 9:30 PM
Jim, that's a home run in my book! Looks pretty dad-gum round to me!

Very nice in my opinion! And a great piece of wood, too.

Thanks for the pictures!

Michael Stafford
12-07-2005, 9:32 PM
Definitely a fine looking box elder ball. Nicely done Jim! Your finish is always top drawer!:D

Keith Burns
12-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Darn you're GOOD! I agree with all thats been said:)

Robert Watsek
12-08-2005, 12:08 AM
That sure dont look like a first Jimbo! :confused:

Nice looking form and finish, very pleasing looks.:)

Waiting for the snow to arrive tonight.

Bob

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:20 AM
Wow Jim, you sure are doing some fine shapes and HF with that BE. This one is top notch.;)

Chris Barton
12-08-2005, 7:43 AM
Jim,

As always, what a great piece! The round HF seems to be my challenge "de jure" at present. I really like the box elder with the blood wood colar, so much complementation between the two woods.

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2005, 8:29 AM
Jim, that is really nice. I like the wood and the form. :)

Karl

John Shuk
12-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Nice Jim. Putting that time in at the lathe is really paying off. Along with some talent and a good eye.

Greg Heppeard
12-08-2005, 1:18 PM
Nice, very nice....gives me something to work toward.

Joe Tonich
12-08-2005, 1:33 PM
"That bowling ball...............it's my WIFE!!!!!!" :eek: errr........sorry!:o :o

http://www.asklyrics.com/display/J._Geils_Band/No_Anchovies_Please_Lyrics/58242.htm

Sorry Jim.......but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.........;) :p

That really is cool, Jim! Ya done good!!:cool: :D

Joe

K..........I'll shut up now.........:p :D

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 2:31 PM
"......Sorry Jim.......but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it........

Hey Joe. The only thing wierder than that story is the fact that you knew of it and where to find it:eek:

Loy Hawes
12-08-2005, 4:38 PM
"That bowling ball...............it's my WIFE!!!!!!" :eek: errr........sorry!:o :o

http://www.asklyrics.com/display/J._Geils_Band/No_Anchovies_Please_Lyrics/58242.htm

Sorry Jim.......but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.........;) :p

That really is cool, Jim! Ya done good!!:cool: :D

Joe

K..........I'll shut up now.........:p :D

Funny story Joe!

Nice work Jim!

Dave Smith
12-08-2005, 4:49 PM
Kinda light wood for a bowling ball don't ya think. It is liable to bounce off the pins.

Wonderful piece young man.

Did you get any comments about your shirt when you gave your alcohol drying presentation?

Dave Smith

Maybe I could sponsor a bowling team in Longview, WA.