PDA

View Full Version : Blue Grass Hammers

lowell holmes
03-21-2019, 8:16 PM
My 7 oz BG wooden handle surfaced in my shop. I had forgotten about it.

My Daddy favored Blue Grass and so do I. I just favor wooden handle, well balanced hammers.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2019, 1:34 AM
Seeing "Blue Grass Hammers" made me think you were talking about a hammer dulcimer or some other down home music making device.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-22-2019, 8:31 AM
See this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bluegrass+hammer&oq=bluegrass+hammer&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.11036j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Look at the prices on some of the itemsl

Tony Zaffuto
03-22-2019, 8:16 PM
Jeez! I have several NOS Blue Grass hammers, bought better than a decade ago from (IIRC) a Donnelly auction, in a lot of something else I was after. Never used, still have labels!

lowell holmes
03-22-2019, 8:28 PM
You might get them appraised. My Daddy preferred Blue Grass hammers and I really like the balance of the hammers, the shape of the handle, and also how they perform. I have a 7 oz. and a 16 oz hammer.

Lamar Keeney
03-24-2019, 9:04 AM
Got a 14 oz Blue Grass $5 flea market special with original handle. This one stays in the shop. Also got a 32 oz double bit Blue Grass ax thats put a lot more wear on me than I did on it in the last 45 years. Good tools

Tony Zaffuto
03-24-2019, 9:29 AM
Remember my dad's hammer: 16oz. Blue Grass with a red fiberglass handle. Where the handle went into the head, the handle, through use and bumps, was wore down to at heast half of original exterior dimensions. Eventually he re-handled with hickory handle. When he died in 2004, I placed the hammer with in, in the casket before it was closed up (he always had the hammer with him, as well as a plum colored Stanley 60-1/2 (I kept the block plane).

Richard Jones
03-24-2019, 10:44 AM
.......When he died in 2004, I placed the hammer with in, in the casket before it was closed up

Outstanding, sir. What a cool story.

Don Howe
03-24-2019, 3:01 PM
Those prices are ridiculous. Blue Grass tools are excellent but not special. Belknap just contracted to have them made by companies already producing such items in the same way Sears did with the Craftsman line.
In my younger years I favored Plumb hammers. My Dad had a Blue Grass hammer that was identical in every way including feel and balance. I am convinced they were contract made by Plumb.

Tony Zaffuto
03-24-2019, 5:46 PM

Now the backstory: there was a young guy who my dad took under his wing to show him some residential carpentry tips. The young guy was pretty upset at my dad's passing and when I stayed after for the closing of the casket, he too put something in: a flat construction pencil in my dad's suit pocket. I didn't have the heart to tell the kid that those pencils were something, for whatever reason, my dad really disliked. I left it there!

Frederick Skelly
03-24-2019, 6:15 PM

+1, to both stories!

lowell holmes
03-26-2019, 4:53 PM
My oldest son put his Grandpa's favorite fishing reel in his casket before he was buried.