PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Ring Holders

Andy Hoyt
12-07-2005, 3:46 PM
While preparing for the Itty Bitty Extravaganza I considered chucking up a nice piece of whatever and just start hogging wood off it. But instead, I chose to give the shop it's bi-annual cleanup and in the process I found all sorts of bits and pieces that had escaped to various hiding places. So I corralled them up, picked a few for the IBE, and the rest turned into these puppies. There fun, quick, and easy. But the best part is that I got rid of all the escapees. Whatcha think?

Ron Ainge
12-07-2005, 3:58 PM
It appears that you have some small boxes to make to fit those lids. Have fun.

Keith Burns
12-07-2005, 4:16 PM
You definately have way to much time on your hands:D :D . Please send me some:) :) . Great stuff and it sure beats throwing scrap away.

Jim Ketron
12-07-2005, 6:46 PM
Nice job on them all Andy
But I like the 2 larger ones best the pink one and the burl one.;)

John Hart
12-07-2005, 6:48 PM
Out of the boneyard and into the limelight. Nice work Andy!!!;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-07-2005, 6:50 PM
NEAT STUFF, Andy.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
12-07-2005, 7:08 PM
Lookinf good Andy. Must feel good to get some completion on all that stuff.

Ernie

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 7:14 PM
Hey Andy, could you please package up some of your energy and send it over my way? I'll pay for the postage!:o Nice work and now you're way ahead of the game when it comes to making some boxes for them.:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-07-2005, 7:45 PM
Thanks. They are fun to turn, but mostly because they go fast. I learned to just let the gouge find it's groove and have it.

Jim - Yup that little piece of cherry burl (thank you John H) was hiding in a larger piece so I had no idea it was in there. And the pink one is Eucalyptus Myrtle Burl with a cocbolo stud/post/thingamabob.

Funny you should mention boxes and these being the lids. Hadn't thought of that and won't given any more thought either. I've tried boxes and suck at it - royally!

Besides, I still need to gather my wits for that winged thing that Carole forced me into trying.

Bill Stevener
12-07-2005, 8:32 PM
Quite a display. So whats your point Andy, clean up the shop?? :D .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Gary DeWitt
12-07-2005, 8:54 PM
Nice work, Andy. I too especially like the pink one. Is that one behind it and to the right cocobolo as well?
Interesting what you can get out of "scraps".
I think we all collect wood to some degree. I've got pieces I've forgotten about that I'm saving til my skills are worthy of the wood. Some lignum, for instance, and recently some cocobolo.
Then there is the wood waiting for just the right project to show it off, or use it most economically...

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:40 AM
Great job Andy, I have made a few and they are fun to make. I like the different styles you made.

Chris Barton
12-08-2005, 7:37 AM
Let see, they look great, are inventive, and make use of scraps... I like it!:)

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2005, 8:33 AM
Andy, I don't really see a dud in the batch.

If at some point you should run out of room for storage of these beauties, please let me know and I'll send my address as I have much storage space available. ;) :D

Karl

David Hayes
12-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Andy,
They look great. What did you use to polish them up?
Dave

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 5:44 PM
Thanks.

Gary - Yup that one way in the back is also cocobolo. Tough to turn unless your tool is sharp. And a major sneeze inducer. Wear a mask.

Karl - If I did that there''d be no more room for that big 'ol hunk of iron you're contemplating.

David - I used John Hart's BLO and spray laquer approach (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26336). But I modified it by eliminating all waiting time by friction drying each coat 30 seconds after application while spinning on the lathe. Patience is not a virtue in this shop! I then did the Beall Buff Stuff.