PDA

View Full Version : New Router Setup

Frank Drackman
03-21-2019, 6:47 PM
I'm looking for feedback from people who have upgraded their router setup to using a lift, fence with dust collection and other features.

I have been using the same basic setup for about twenty years. PC 690 in a homemade table and a simple fence. The primary reason for an upgrade is to get better dust collection. Like many of us, I have some heath issues that are exasperated by wood dust.

My first thought that I would just build a simple box, with a 4" dust port, and some type of down draft collection. The box would require some way to access the router for height adjustment and bit changes. That leads to thinking about a whole new system with lift and a fence with dust collection.

I expect that many members have already made the switch and have feedback about products and their value.

Thanks - Frank

tom lucas
03-21-2019, 8:19 PM
I sold my cast iron table and went with an extension on my tablesaw. Saves space. The extension is Excalibur. I chose it because I could let supports and liked the fence.

I went with an incra lift (woodpecker with magnetic inserts). Love it: fast and accurate.

For dust collection, in addition to the fence port, I piped in the Dust Router from Milescraft. The hose on that isn't much, but the cup is well worth it. Attach the cup to the bottom of the magnetic inserts using velcro. When used with the fence I get near zero sawdust. Works well with the lift.

To connect the shop dust collector I added a dust-rite port.

I left the router open for cooling and easy maintenance.

Then I built a little cabinet to hold all my router stuff that fits under the router and has a holder for the fence.

Not a cheap solution, but so nice! Works great and uses little extra shop space.

Kim Gibbens
03-21-2019, 8:54 PM
Just finished this not too long ago and I've been tickled with it every time I use it. The lift is a dream to use and the dust collection is very good.406222

Nick Decker
03-21-2019, 9:09 PM
That's a beauty, Kim. I'll add a big thumbs up for the Incra CleanSweep box. I've been blown (sucked?) away by how well it works. What has really surprised me is how well it works even on edge cuts like roundovers. I haven't needed to connect a hose to the port on my fence since I installed it.

Lisa Starr
03-22-2019, 6:11 AM
i just recently move mine to the end of my table saw. I made the top out of multiple layers of 1/2" MDF laminated together and then covered the top with laminate. The whole assemble "floats" between the fence rails and sits on angle brackets. The brackets are tapped, and allow height adjustments via set screws to bring the whole thing into perfect alignment with the Table Saw All the edges and bottom were sealed with many, many layers of polyurethane. I just moved the Jessem lift I had to this new table. The fence is a biesmeyer style, since the saw already had rails. My dust collection is thru the fence only, as I would have clearance issues with the table motor door if I enclosed the router. Turned out, I don't need the under table anyway, as the fence collects 99% of the dust. My fence is home made, but is based on the ideas of the VSCT version. Th whole thing works very well, and has proven to be very stable.

Carl Beckett
03-22-2019, 7:48 AM
As fyi, the Boston CL has a steady stream of router tables that might be good value. I would keep my eye out there if within driving distance for you (since you are in Maine).

Steve Reich
03-22-2019, 8:33 AM
Frank, I have found the router table to be the easiest tool in the shop to get consistently excellent dust collection. Like you, I had the PC 690 and several years ago I built my own version of Rockler's router dust bucket (https://www.rockler.com/dust-bucket-dust-collection-for-router-tables?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj9LkBRDnARIsAGQ-hUeT1MIwU2KugJpQg5MVDouCUfF5utXLwgLrbRIDNvoMGq1sR0 itJAIaAhc_EALw_wcB). It was very simple to make. I then put Rockler's router table dust port (https://www.rockler.com/router-table-dust-port) to my fence and connected it to the 4-inch port that I put on the homemade dust bucket with Rockler's Router table dual port (https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-router-table-dual-port). I connected that system to my 1.5 hp DC (not the world's most powerful DC) and found that it collected all the dust. Nothing was left in the dust bucket and there was virtually nothing left on the tabletop. It's easy to make and the accessories that you need to buy are relatively inexpensive (there's no need to buy the dust bucket because it's just a simple box with a door and a port). But as you indicate, that system did make height adjustment and bit changing a challenge. I had to lift the router and plate out and do the modifications; set up often took a long time. So, like you, I went to looking for a new system.

I just upgraded to the Triton TRA001, which has it's own above the table lift crank built into it when you put it into a table---no need to buy an expensive lift system. Since the Triton would not fit my existing router plate, I went about building a new table and am now just about done building James Harrison's sliding router table design (http://www.stumpynubs.com/sliding-router-table.html) but have modified it for under the table dust collection. Between the front drawers, I have installed a simple door, and put the whole contraption onto a homemade stand to create a floor and then cut a 4-inch dust port on the back. Now with the Triton I have above the table lift and similar dust collection as before. If the thread is still active when I finish, I'll post a picture.

glenn bradley
03-22-2019, 9:15 AM
Like Steve, I get nearly all of the spoil at the router table for most operations. My table has an enclosed cabinet with air return and a 4" port out. I also have a split fence with a port on it. I have seen commercial solutions and shop made. You are correct that a simple box around the router with a door (for speed changes), a port out and a port in for return air will be a big jump in collection. The balance of the spoil can be collected at the fence. If your fence is a solid piece, modify or make another with a dust port. There are so many variations on this it is hard to go into them.

Jeff Ramsey
03-22-2019, 9:49 AM
I sold my standalone Veritas router table, and bought Benchdog's cast iron extension table for my Unisaw. I bought a JessEm lift (height adjustment is from the table top, not underneath), and a PC 75182 router. Chip collection with the stock Benchdog fence is not great. I've been meaning to build a DC enclosure on the bottom to catch chips that get launched out the bottom (an impressive pile will collect after a day of routing). My experience is that a fence-only DC solution is not enough with a router table (it was also a problem with the standalone table).

Nick Decker
03-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Frank, you mentioned health problems that are made worse by wood dust. Know what you mean.

As several have mentioned, it's possible to get pretty much all of the visible spoil, but you'll never get all the stuff you can't see. I've recently started wearing a mask for pretty much anything that involves cutting wood. Yes, it's a pain, but it beats coughing myself inside out.

Frank Drackman
03-23-2019, 8:50 AM
Thanks for all of the great information. I guess it is time to investigate the different brands and products. I have plenty of routers so I think that I will look at getting a router motor instead of a complete router. I'm aware of the Porter-Cable 75182, the Jessem Pow-R-Tek & the Portamate. Are there others that you recommend?

I'm looking for feedback from people who have upgraded their router setup to using a lift, fence with dust collection and other features.

I have been using the same basic setup for about twenty years. PC 690 in a homemade table and a simple fence. The primary reason for an upgrade is to get better dust collection. Like many of us, I have some heath issues that are exasperated by wood dust.

My first thought that I would just build a simple box, with a 4" dust port, and some type of down draft collection. The box would require some way to access the router for height adjustment and bit changes. That leads to thinking about a whole new system with lift and a fence with dust collection.

I expect that many members have already made the switch and have feedback about products and their value.

Thanks - Frank

Justin Rapp
03-23-2019, 11:04 AM
I have a rockler router table and their fence. It has built in 2.5" dust collector on the fence and i built and dust box like Steve Reich did (see above comment) with a 4" port on the bottom. I used a 4x4x2.5 wye to connect both dust ports to my DC. Dust Collection is great. I bought this table when I first started and it works 'ok' however, it is pure entry level and I would never recommend it to anyone. Now I want a lift and a much better table/fence system. Woodpecker's router table with a 7518 is on the top of my list. I am just waiting for budget since I had to make a choice, upgrade the router or get a band saw which is a new addition to my shop.

The PC is the most common choice for a 3.25 hp router.

Ellen Benkin
03-23-2019, 2:46 PM
My "can't live without it" is a router lift. I have a relatively cheap one from Rockler with my PC router and it makes set ups relatively easy. As for dust, get a very good dust mask. All the boxing and shimming in the world will never catch all the dust from a router.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2019, 6:26 PM
I made Norm's 2nd version router table with dust collection at the fence and in the chamber where the router resides. I am using a Woodpecker PRL-V2 lift. I works well for me.

Justin Rapp
03-23-2019, 6:41 PM
My "can't live without it" is a router lift. I have a relatively cheap one from Rockler with my PC router and it makes set ups relatively easy. As for dust, get a very good dust mask. All the boxing and shimming in the world will never catch all the dust from a router.

Ellen,

Agreed you won't catch all, but if you box out your router under the table with a dc connected, and a 2nd dc port connected to the fence, it does get a lot, and in some cases all of it depending on what your are routing.

Chris Parks
03-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Google "just another router table build" and follow the first link. The dust collection on that table is beyond criticism and it is all done through the table and cost basically nothing. You will have to register to see the pictures I think but there is a wealth of information on modern control and dust extraction for router tables being assembled in that forum.

Frank Drackman
03-24-2019, 8:05 AM
Chris, did you mean "yet another router table build"?

Rich Aldrich
03-24-2019, 8:19 AM
Two years ago I purchased a Triton 3-1/4 HP router and love it. It was designed for a router table with the lift built into the router. It is actually a plunge router and comes with a handle so that when the router is installed in a table, the handle is used to adjust the height of the bit - just like a lift. You do have to lock the plunge when you get the bit adjusted so it doesn't drift. The cooling air for the motor goes towards the bit so dust extraction actually helps motor cooling. Keep in mind this router replaced a Freud 3-1/4 HP router, so this was a huge step up.

I have an MLCS router table top wilth the fence and dust extraction - nothing special but it works for now. It is mounted on a cabinet that my uncle made and I ended up with it. Its a decent cabinet - something I couldn't find the time to make.

Chris Parks
03-24-2019, 8:34 AM

Yes, sorry for the typo, senility is to blame.

Jim Dwight
03-24-2019, 3:48 PM
My router table is shaped like Norm's but it has a home made lift based upon a design in an old American Woodworker article. It has two 1 inch diameter machined steel rods I got from McMaster Carr. I have in the box + fence dust collection. When I had a DC it worked well. With a shop vac, there isn't enough air flow. I have another DC but it isn't set up yet. I set the dust collection in the box where it pulls from up where the collet is. That way it doesn't pull against the fan of the router motor.

John Patric
03-25-2019, 7:04 AM

That yields less than perfect results for me ????

Chris Parks
03-25-2019, 7:32 AM
https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=yet+another+router+table+router+table+build&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

John Patric
03-25-2019, 9:38 AM
https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=yet+another+router+table+router+table+build&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Google not Youtube duh :confused:

George Yetka
03-25-2019, 9:48 AM
I bought the jessem before they added the casters and stock guides and a motor to this package. I built up the stand (easily i might add, 1/2 ply has fits a slot in the legs) added 2 drawers and built a box around the upper section and added a dust port. It works very well. I am very satisfied with this setup with the exception that I would have bought the sawstop setup if it were available at the time I bought this.
https://jessem.com/collections/router-table-packages/products/ultimate-excel-ii-package

Robert Engel
03-25-2019, 9:51 AM
Thanks for all of the great information. I guess it is time to investigate the different brands and products. I have plenty of routers so I think that I will look at getting a router motor instead of a complete router. I'm aware of the Porter-Cable 75182, the Jessem Pow-R-Tek & the Portamate. Are there others that you recommend?

I recently purchased the Jessem PowRTek. I absolutely love the remote speed control. I also purchased the MastRLift II. So far I've been very happy with it. So far, I've not had to open the door at all for anything :)

I like your idea of collecting the box from the bottom. I gave up on trying to collect the box, as it was too much for my shop vac to handle. Rather, I just vacuum it out regularly.

Keep in mind there needs to be enough inflow to collect whichever way you go.

Chris Parks
03-25-2019, 10:03 AM
Google not Youtube duh :confused:

Enjoy a great read on what is without doubt the most advanced router table with the best dust extraction possible, it is simply a router table way ahead of anything else. I am building the same RT using a CNC spindle which is way better in every way than a router motor.

Curtis Myers
12-17-2019, 6:54 AM
I recently purchased the Jessem PowRTek. I absolutely love the remote speed control. I also purchased the MastRLift II. So far I've been very happy with it. So far, I've not had to open the door at all for anything :)

Robert,

Now that you had the PowRTek for a little while. How do you like it? Any issues?
I'm thinking of getting one and any advise would be appreciated.

All the Best
Curt

Jim Dwight
12-17-2019, 10:39 AM
I had a setup in the extension table of my table saw and it included a box with a door around the router for dust collection. 4 inch hose in the bottom. The dust collection was good (also had a collection point on the fence) but I thought the router was getting hot. The DC is pulling air from the collet to the top of the motor and the cooling fan of the router is trying to pull it from the top of the motor to the collet. So they fight each other.

My current and probably final router table is shaped like Norm's but has a home made lift which is based upon plans from an American Woodworking article. You can use any router motor you want and it slides on 1 inch machined steel bars attached to the back of the router table. That allows the top to tilt up for bit changes. Works really well. I do not have the dust collection hooked up right, I modified it to try using just the shop vac and it was not powerful enough. But it is built to have a 4 inch hose into the router compartment but pulling from the collet area - so it helps and does not fight the cooling fan. That plus a connection on the fence worked well with my old 1hp Delta and I am confident it will work even better with my 2hp HF.

If you are doing this for a living and time is money, it probably makes sense to buy a router table. But if it is a hobby, as it is for me, I think that a router table is a great thing to just make. A heavy wood structure helps dampen vibration and the home built one can work at least as well as a commercial one.

I also added a setup on the back of the table so it can be used with the router horizontal. I do not use it much but it has been handy a time or two.