PDA

View Full Version : What do you use under your GSS?

Alan Tolchinsky
12-07-2005, 3:21 PM
Hi All, I just got a Eureka Smart Guide System and I wondered what sort of table or other you guys and gals use with it? I hate to cut on the floor; too hard on the back. The Smart Table looks interesting. Anybody have one of these? Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks. Alan

Bob Noles
12-07-2005, 4:03 PM
Being the cheapie I that am, I use 2 saw horses and simple 2X2's ala pine. Set your depth of cut according to your stock thickness plus about 1/4 " and it works great. I have also used some scrap ply in place of the 2X2's and it has worked equally as well. I am sure Dino's table would enhance the experience considerably, but I get by just fine using the above method.

Jeff Sudmeier
12-07-2005, 4:55 PM
"Being the cheapie that I am" I got a folding table from my FIL who happens to work for the school system. They were replacing the wood tables with aluminum. Got two tables, took the legs off of one and kept the other for a "smart table"

Steven J Corpstein
12-07-2005, 5:12 PM
I caught Dino in an extremely good mood one night after he read my post on the Ez SG and he sent me a Smart Table for free. Does that count as a stealth gloat? :-)

Bob Noles
12-07-2005, 5:27 PM
I caught Dino in an extremely good mood one night after he read my post on the Ez SG and he sent me a Smart Table for free. Does that count as a stealth gloat? :-)

NOPE.... you know the saying arond here, Steven.... No pictures.... didn't happen :D :D

Bill Fields
12-07-2005, 6:12 PM
Alan:

Before I came to senses I built a copy of the Smart Table using a 24 x 48 sheet of 3/4 ply. It worked OK, but does not compare to the slickness and ease of use of the Smart Table that I bought from Dino.

Again, 24 x 48 sheet of good ply, Dino's hardware applied to the top and Rockler folding legs on the bottom. Slick, convenient and it folds to hang on the shop wall. ANd it is fairly priced.

Bill Fields

Joseph N. Myers
12-07-2005, 6:43 PM
Alan,

I have 2 of Dino's tables. The 1st is the standard 2' x 4' that I use for cutting plywood. The 2nd measures 14" x 8' which I use to put straight edges on some rough lumber I have (see attached pictures). The 8' length works well because some of the boards are 12' - 14' long. (I also have 2 guide systems that I connect so I can go up to 16').

I had a couple of extra pieces (the base and inserts) and used them for a stop on my SCMS.

Granted, I could build something similar but by having the slats movable, it sure makes storage a lot easier and compact. And when the inserts wear out, easy to replace.

Regards, Joe

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 7:19 PM
Smart Table right out of the gate for me, as well. I've got mine on folding legs, though that part of it is almost un-necessary, as mine stays setup 95% of the time!:D But, it is nice when I need to take it for projects closer to the house.:) Also, probably because mine is setup all the time and gets used for anything from cutting, to routing to a stand for staining, it started to develope a "belly" in the middle. I simply put some vertical aprons attached to the front and back and all is good with the world again.:) :cool:

Bert Johansen
12-07-2005, 8:13 PM
Alan, I simply glued up a 2X4 sacrificial frame about 3' X 7' including cross braces (with biscuits--no screws) that sits permanently atop a work table in my carport. It is extra convenient when you don't have to stop and set up a table to do your work.
Bert

Steve Clardy
12-07-2005, 8:15 PM
I lay mine on the table saw and outfeed table. Prop the ply up with 4- 2x2 pine scraps.

Burt Waddell
12-07-2005, 9:03 PM
I use the smart table. I put it on folding legs but thus far it hasn't been folded.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-07-2005, 9:28 PM
set this up and see how it works. Thanks to you I can now figure out what I need to do. I appreciate the ideas.

JayStPeter
12-07-2005, 11:49 PM
I was planning to buy the EZ table, but happened to have some stuff around to build something a little different that works well for me.
Long story short. I found an extrememly heavy duty folding table rotting outside an office building and took the legs. I had to clamp some shop bench/counter tops up so I made a 3'x7' torsion box structure to keep them flat. Combine torsion box and legs and you get a sweet assembly table. Add a 2" thick styrofoam 4x8 sheet and you get a great cutting surface for the GCSS. To get good DC from my GCSS, the blade must be totally buried. The styrofoam helps on the bottom (see John Lucas site for his implementation that led to mine).
All in all, I wish I had planned on all this being a permanent fixture in the shop because I would've made it a little nicer and more permanent than I did.

Jay St. Peter

Dave Falkenstein
12-07-2005, 11:57 PM
For cutting sheet goods with a guided saw system I use a cutting table made from plywood that breaks down and stores in a very small space. The cutting table sits on two fold-up saw horses. You can use a 4X8 sheet of foam as a support for the sheet being cut. Here's a site that shows the cutting table:

http://www.woodstore.net/cutplatsheet.html