PDA

View Full Version : open spirals with flutes

neil mackay
03-19-2019, 9:03 PM
Its been a long time between posts and the reasons are many retirement, trips overseas, back to work contracting, building a house , grandkids :) etc

But this one I have had on the go for some months. Its in Blackwood or Acacia Melanoxylon a windfall from a very old rainforest that parts of it go back a couple of hundred years. Fortunately its about an hours drive from where I live. Needless to say there are some hefty fines when it comes to logging etc. The tree itself was probably around around 60-80 years old at the time it fell over and a fair bit of it was lost to dry rot as it lay around for several years before it was cleared away. But I managed to get a couple tons of cut blanks its not hard to turn but some very curly grain at times makes for a challenge. The tearout can resemble divots on a bad day, turn one end one way the other end the other way and hope for the best in the centre. Stands around 4.5"x4.5" Danish Oil and buffed with 4 small feet.
Thoughts , comments, critique welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2019, 8:12 AM
Beautiful work Hughie! Love the wood and you have the art of spirals mastered! Looks like the finish allows the grain to really play with the light! Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Grant Wilkinson
03-20-2019, 8:53 AM
Now, THAT is FINE!

Pat Scott
03-20-2019, 9:36 AM
Can't imagine how long that took you! Very nice.

Mel Fulks
03-20-2019, 12:15 PM
Made of wood and light . And will spin when you walk by it. Never let kids use it for a Whiffle Ball !

Peter Christensen
03-21-2019, 3:14 PM
That's really nice work!

May I ask if some of it is done with some kind of spiral/fluting jig and a router? Or do you lay it out and carve and shape it all by hand? Thanks.