PDA

View Full Version : TS Blade boring company in greater Philly area?

Steve Wurster
03-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know of a company in the greater Philly area that can bore out some TS Blades to fit the Hammer/Felder line? I called a place in Hatboro that I previously thought could do it, but they told me they cannot do the holes for the pins that are required on these saws. Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2019, 12:53 PM
A good local machine shop should easily be able to perform this task.

Steve Wurster
03-18-2019, 4:10 PM
A good local machine shop should easily be able to perform this task.

Well, that's basically what I need: A recommendation of a good local machine shop. :-)

Bruce Wrenn
03-18-2019, 8:40 PM
Not local, but check with Forrest, Ridge Carbide, or Dynamic Saw. I never thought I would recommend Forrest for anything, but they did some blades for a friend several years back.

Jim Becker
03-18-2019, 8:42 PM
Steve, AFAIK, Forrest can bore them out...it's "next door" in New Jersey, but... :) :D

You could also try Scott McMahon, McMahon Welding, Inc. up in Mechanicsville. He's doing some subcontract work for me right now on my bed commission and seems to be setup pretty well for all things metal working. I don't know about saw blades, however.

Rod Sheridan
03-20-2019, 8:42 AM
Steve, try these people.

http://americancarbidesaw.com/serv.htm

Regards, Rod.

Ron Magliocco
03-20-2019, 9:23 AM
Not local to you but excellent quality and service - CT Saw and Tool in Stratford CT. They bored and drilled a WW2 blade for my Felder/Hammer and the results were perfect. I know they accept mail in orders.

Steve Wurster
03-20-2019, 2:22 PM
Steve, try these people.

http://americancarbidesaw.com/serv.htm

Regards, Rod.

Rod, those are the people I called that I thought previously told me they could do it. But this time they told me they cannot. sigh

Curt Harms
03-21-2019, 2:18 PM
I've had some planer and saw blades sharpened by these guys. They seemed to do OK. I did buy a couple bandsaw blades from them and they resold blades made in Lancaster county so no real deal there. I don't know if they can drill holes but I'm sure a phone call would answer that question.

A R Saw & Tool

Address: 2340 Spinnerstown Rd, Quakertown, PA 18951, USA

Phone: +1 215-538-9066

Dennis Yamamoto
03-22-2019, 2:19 AM
I had Forrest enlarge some 5/8" arbor saw blades to 30mm including the pin holes. After receiving the blades, Forrest highly recommended that the blades be sharpened too. They said they could not guarantee that the 30mm arbors would be concentric with the old 5/8" ones. It cost a lot more than expected and one of the blades was new!

Jim Becker
03-22-2019, 9:03 AM
Dennis's point is a good one...it may be a good idea to compare the cost of buying new blades in the Felder arbor format less the potential proceeds from selling the current blades to someone with a 5/8" arbor saw versus getting the existing blades modified. If it's not a big difference...go with the new blades. Silvers Mill sells the Forrest WW-II 10" blade in Felder configuration for $159 and the 12" version for $169, for example.

Steve Wurster
03-22-2019, 9:34 AM
That is a good point about buying new vs. my existing blades not getting bored out perfectly. I had looked at buying new a couple months ago, but need to revisit that. Thanks all.

Brian Holcombe
03-22-2019, 9:37 AM
Try Windsor Automotive Machine in East Windsor NJ. Paul is the owner/operator and he does top notch work.

Jim Becker
03-23-2019, 9:49 AM
That is a good point about buying new vs. my existing blades not getting bored out perfectly. I had looked at buying new a couple months ago, but need to revisit that. Thanks all.
Yes, when you add up the cost (financial and otherwise) for re-boring ... new can be attractive. I held off upgrading to 12" blades until this past year because I "could" continue to use my 10' blades, but going new gave me the benefit of the deeper cut which is coming in handy for some recent projects including my current commission. That's not all that different than the benefit of a blade originally manufactured with the bore and pin holes that your saw requires vs the conversion cost and (slight) risk for reboring. It can let you standardize on a blade, too, which for me has been important. There is unfortunately a variability in actual cut width between different brands/models and I don't like that at all. It may be slight, but it's still different. But that's a personal preference.

Rod Sheridan
03-23-2019, 4:41 PM
Well, a new 250mm blade is over $100, boring was $20 at FS Tools.

It made my decision easy as the only 300mm blade I use is a rip blade for breaking down rough lumber.

Of course it depends upon your circumstances......Rod

Steve Wurster
03-24-2019, 6:02 PM
I ended up ordering new ones from Felder. I'll get around to trying to sell my old ones eventually...