PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's day, how do you celebrate?

James Pallas
03-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Corned beef is cooking, cabbage ready to put in. Potatoes being prepped. Use to be a day that I would break out the good Irish whiskey. Sing Bing Crosby's hit "Mrs Murphy's Chowder". Just a fun day for almost springtime.
Jim

Bruce Wrenn
03-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Wife is Irish, and I'm IBM (Irish by marriage) When St patrick's day DOESN'T fall on the weekend, we like to go to Savanah and enjoy the parade. Unfortunately when it's on a weekend, it becomes a drunken brawl. Plus motel rooms become stupidly expensive. Were planning to go to local parade yesterday, but had a couple kidney stones removed on Friday, so I wasn't up to that. Had corned beef and cabbage last weekend. Will have it again later in month when grand daughter can make it over. House is full of "things O green."

Michael Weber
03-17-2019, 1:10 PM
I don't...

Malcolm Schweizer
03-17-2019, 2:04 PM
I'm no more Irish in March 17th than I am Mexican on May 5.

Frederick Skelly
03-17-2019, 2:08 PM
I don't celebrate either, but I wish those who do a happy one!
Fred

Darcy Warner
03-17-2019, 2:31 PM
By working.

James Pallas
03-17-2019, 2:39 PM
Why I celebrate. My grandfather on my mom's side came to US from Ireland around 1900. My great grandfather on dad's side came to US sometime in the mid 1800's from where? Pallas, Ireland of course:).
Jim

Gary Ragatz
03-17-2019, 2:52 PM
1/4 Irish here (until some DNA test tells me otherwise), on my mother's side. Usually corned beef and cabbage at a favorite pub, and a couple of Irish whiskys. Out of town this weekend, so probably just the whiskys.

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-17-2019, 2:52 PM
When in college, a group of us would wear orange., When I lived in Arlington VA, there was a Mexican -Irish Bar/restaurant named Carlos O"kelly's. At St Patty's it was standing room only from about noon to closing. (Great Food) I stopped celebrating decades ago. Although, I do like a Rueben sandwich, it is the only time I eat corned beef and. Sauerkraut or cole slaw is the only way I eat cabbage. Can't stand it boiled.

Jim Koepke
03-17-2019, 3:27 PM
This is the first time in my memory we forgot to buy a few hunks of corned beef. One of my favorites things is to make my own corned beef hash from the left overs.

Maybe corned beef will be on sale through next week.

jtk

Jerome Stanek
03-17-2019, 3:49 PM
I go to the local Polish American hall

Malcolm Schweizer
03-17-2019, 5:16 PM

Update: Hull Bay Hideaway is serving corned beef and cabbage. I suddenly became Irish. ...and apparently upside down.

Mike Cutler
03-17-2019, 7:08 PM
Today, I celebrated by putting a new tarp on a Shelter logic building.
Never been a big St. Paddy's day person. For those that are, have a great time. I've got a Guinness in the 'fridge in support. ;)

Len Mullin
03-17-2019, 7:43 PM
We usually have a nice big feed of corned beef and cabbage, along with a few green beer throughout the day. Plus we always wear green, that is something that we must never forget to do. The person who wears the least amount of green, get to do the dishes by hand. And I hate doing dishes, so, I even make sure that I wear my underwear. Some of the guys even wear two pairs of green socks, because remember, it's who wears the least amount of green. We love to get together to have fun, and today is one of our favorite days to party and have harmless fun with family and friends.

Len

Tony Pisano
03-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Every weekend is St Paddy's day. We have an Irish/Celtic/Old timey jam every Saturday at a local care at Mass MoCA. We started it out in a different location back in 2001. Great fun. Jigs, reels, waltzes, hambos, hornpipes, and old time tunes.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2019, 10:41 PM
I will celebrate it shortly with a good Scotch ale.

Slainte!

Jason Roehl
03-18-2019, 6:50 AM
I believe I have a wee bit o' Irish blood in me, so we go to the local Irish pub for some music and drinks. This year, we went on the 16th, as they were celebrating all weekend. I drank several Guinnesses, along with several shots of Irish whiskey. We joined some strangers at a table (the pub was very busy) and left as friends. This was after taking in a movie at one of our newly-remodeled theaters (IMAX coming soon...) where they now serve beer, wine and hard cider. Two beers during a movie is a mistake, as I don't get up during a movie. :eek:

On Sunday, I drank nary a drop of libation...

Malcolm Schweizer
03-18-2019, 8:40 AM
I found my pot o’ gold at the end o’ the rainbow. (But I already had them)

Andrew Gibson
03-18-2019, 9:41 AM
I am an Irish Citizen, though born and raised in the USA. My Grandmother was Born and raised in Galway. And I have been across the pond a couple times and have lots of family in Erie. Beef Stew for supper on Saturday and our Local Movie theater was showing The Quiet Man yesterday. My Great Grandmother had a signed picture of the Duke in her house which she got from himself while they were filming.
It was wonderful to see a great movie on the big screen. Brought back many fond memories of Family who have passed on. A few black beers were also consumed, but that happens more weekends than not.

James Pallas
03-18-2019, 2:07 PM
Yesterday was good, corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. Now for leftovers. Reuben sandwiches. Jim Koepke mentioned hash. I really like hash. Mine is cube the corned beef, about 1/4 square, potatoes (fresh not leftover) cubed the same, green chilies diced, fry till crunchy a little, eggs on top. Yummy
Jim

James Pallas
03-18-2019, 2:10 PM
I found my pot o’ gold at the end o’ the rainbow. (But I already had them)

found similar rewards at the end of my rainbow also, rainbows are good things.
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2019, 4:00 PM
I am an Irish Citizen, though born and raised in the USA. My Grandmother was Born and raised in Galway. And I have been across the pond a couple times and have lots of family in Erie. Beef Stew for supper on Saturday and our Local Movie theater was showing The Quiet Man yesterday. My Great Grandmother had a signed picture of the Duke in her house which she got from himself while they were filming.
It was wonderful to see a great movie on the big screen. Brought back many fond memories of Family who have passed on. A few black beers were also consumed, but that happens more weekends than not.

Andrew with my ancestors coming from Ireland, I had always wanted to visit it. In late September-early October 2016 my wife and I took a tour of Ireland for 12 days. The Quiet Man is one of my favorite movies and we toured Cong, the villiage near Galway where the movie was filmed. We spent a day in Galway. Enjoyed the city a lot.

John Cole
03-20-2019, 5:10 PM
I dont, I am English not Irish. I celebrate St George's day on April 23rd.