PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right?

Jerome Sidley
03-17-2019, 10:54 AM
I finally got my 5HP Onida cyclone hooked up. It was a used unit when I got it, I'm not sure it sounds right, to me it sounds like the motor is vibrating while it has power. I could be just paranoid. If it is an issue how do I fix?
Thanks for the help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNT_-JTikc4

Jim Andrew
03-17-2019, 1:12 PM
Wonder if there could be a tiny strip of wood contacting the impeller? Would remove the blower from the housing and look inside to see if there is some kind of interference. The blower does not seem to shake?

Jim Becker
03-17-2019, 1:46 PM
That does sound like something is in contact with the impeller, IMHO. Probably best to open it up. If there's nothing in there, perhaps there is an issue with bearings...that's a nasty sound!

Jerome Sidley
03-17-2019, 2:32 PM
I hope it's not the bearings it is a brand new motor.

Jerome Sidley
03-17-2019, 3:09 PM
There is nothing inside, the fan turns freely, it makes the sound without the ductwork attached, taking the filters off makes no difference. What I can't figure out is why it make the sound only with the power on as soon as it is turned off the sound stops. I would think if it was the bearings it would continue until the rotation stops.

Doug Dawson
03-17-2019, 3:34 PM
There is nothing inside, the fan turns freely, it makes the sound without the ductwork attached, taking the filters off makes no difference. What I can't figure out is why it make the sound only with the power on as soon as it is turned off the sound stops. I would think if it was the bearings it would continue until the rotation stops.

If the bearing(s) are only just starting to go, there's a pretty good chance that the noise will be there only under load, i.e. with power applied. If the noise continues during spindown, that's a bad sign. You might have a bit of time before that happens. You should have a look at those bearings before things get really messed up.

Peter Christensen
03-17-2019, 3:49 PM
Can you take off the impeller? If the bearings are bad, which I doubt because you said it is a new motor, then they will make a little noise and you might be able to feel it when tuning the shaft over by hand. If the impeller is out of balance or loose on the shaft that would cause a vibration making noise. A long shot of a guess but might as well rule it out.

Jerome Sidley
03-17-2019, 4:03 PM
This is going to be a long process.405838 the motor sticks through the floor and there is a cabinet over it now so I will have to remove it and pull the motor which weighs a ton. I did have to pull the fan off the shaft to change the motor so hopefully, it is just that.

Doug Dawson
03-17-2019, 4:23 PM
This is going to be a long process.405838 the motor sticks through the floor and there is a cabinet over it now so I will have to remove it and pull the motor which weighs a ton.

It could also be something as simple as a loose mounting, which might mimic a bad bearing, but you'd find that out fairly early in the process.

It's always helpful to build in easy access, rescue the wrench, find the missing hamster, the works in a drawer, etc.

Jim Becker
03-17-2019, 7:32 PM
Just as a "program note", it's not a good idea to run the unit without ductwork attached...

I agree with Doug...check each and every one of the "little stupid possibilities", especially since you did have to do some disassembly to replace the motor. You might also launch a call into Oneida to get their thoughts on what to look for given the sound you are experiencing.

Chris Parks
03-17-2019, 8:57 PM
Just as a "program note", it's not a good idea to run the unit without ductwork attached...

I hear that so many times and yet to see anyone reporting a motor committing suicide because of it. I have run mine without the motor several times and I do understand the theory but have yet to see the practical result. I would remove both the ducting connection and the exhaust connection and see if the noise is still present, you most probably will not even have to get it up to full speed to hear if it is still there. I would have to ask the question of why it has had a new motor installed as the installation seems a likely reason for the noise, maybe something floating around in the impeller housing??

Jim Becker
03-17-2019, 9:21 PM
Chris, the need for the new motor was detailed in another thread awhile ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Kevin Jenness
03-18-2019, 3:40 AM
Could you have installed the impeller close enough to the motor end of the shaft that it is contacting the motor mount bolt heads when running? Seems like you would have noticed that before finishing the install, but if it were close a little runout or imbalance might make it show up at speed. If there is runout in the shaft that should be a warranty issue.

Did you observe this unit running smoothly before purchase?

Something is not right and you will have to pull the motor to see what. I feel your pain.

Bill Orbine
03-21-2019, 8:08 AM
Just wondering if the new motor is turning the right direction......???????

Jerome Sidley
03-22-2019, 4:48 AM
I haven't had time to get out to the shop hopefully this weekend. I now have a lot of ideas of where to start.

Pete Staehling
03-22-2019, 8:07 AM
I'll be the contrarian here and may be wrong, but to me it doesn't sound like anything is wrong other than the vibration resonating a little more than you'd like. Snugging some bolts may or may not help. Tinkering with the mounting may also help.

There is a lot of potential for resonating when you have a big mostly empty sheet metal enclosure attached directly to a motor/blower.

Jerome Sidley
03-23-2019, 11:54 AM
The fan looked like it was moving down the shaft I put it back up and tightened the set screws as much as I could, if it happens again I'll put some locktite on them. Sure sounds a lot better.

Peter Christensen
03-23-2019, 12:35 PM
That's good to not hear. ;)

Jerome Sidley
03-23-2019, 2:03 PM
Yeah I was worried it was the bearings, as the motor is vertical nowhere does it say you can't do that but you never know.

Chris Parks
03-23-2019, 8:56 PM
I find it a bit of a shock that they use set screws to hold an impeller to the motor shaft when a taper lock is a far more robust way of doing the same thing.

Kevin Jenness
03-23-2019, 9:50 PM
Was there no loctite on the grub screws when you took the impeller off the original motor? I had to apply heat to mine to break it loose. I would suggest pulling it again and applying loctite as opposed to having it let go in an uncontrolled excursion down the line.

David Kumm
03-23-2019, 11:46 PM
You can put an amp meter on the motor to check for overloading. the impeller Oneida uses is designed to not overload the motor, as the cfm tops off unlike a straight blade impeller but checking is better than hoping. Sounds like bearings or an out of balance impeller, although sound transmits oddly if the housing is in contact with wood. Dave