PDA

View Full Version : Have ever broken a folding carpenter's rule?

lowell holmes
03-16-2019, 4:38 PM
I have and when I do, I have a folding yard stick.
If you are working wearing a nail apron, you can carry it in one of your apron pockets.
I find it to be very handy.
Then you have an excuse to go buy another folding rule. I like the 96" rules.

I just ran across mine.

Al Launier
03-16-2019, 4:45 PM
How many times? Each gets you a new rule! ;):D

Tony Zaffuto
03-16-2019, 5:18 PM
Only my dad's, over fifty years ago. Never broke one of my own, though my wife did, and she had to make, maybe 3 purchases to get the correct (inside reading) rule!

Bill Houghton
03-16-2019, 6:28 PM
No, but I've seen broken ones at yard sales, so, when I use mine - mainly for inside measurements - I'm right careful about how I open, use, and close it.

Mel Fulks
03-16-2019, 7:49 PM
Not sure I've broken one ,but the broken ones I've seen usually have non straight grain that made a weak point.
I did fail to unfold a couple of segments once. Ruined a piece of walnut the boss had designated for a lowboy for his wife.
He had saved it for years and marked it for "low boy top". Those rules are only accurate when completely UNFOLDED !

Jim Koepke
03-16-2019, 9:12 PM
If you mean what are often called zig-zag rulers, no none of mine nor my father's has ever broke in my use. They are not often used by me.

My favorite is a four fold 3' ruler.

jtk

Kevin Hampshire
03-16-2019, 11:42 PM
I have never owned one of those folding rulers. My father had at least two of them that survived use/abuse by three sons.

I had the impression that those rulers never broke.

James Pallas
03-17-2019, 7:46 AM
I witnessed a couple being broken, looking over my shoulder at the seat of my pants:). I like them never broke one so far but have worn a few out over the years.
Jim

Jim Koepke
03-17-2019, 3:21 PM
My most used 4-fold had the markings worn off. An extra fine point Sharpie helped to bring it back to a useable ruler. It has a SW Hart trademark, so it is at least 85 years old.

We should be so useful & limber when we are that old.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-17-2019, 5:07 PM
I have a 72" ruler and I used to have a 96" one as well. When I was building houses, we needed the length because studs are 96". Also a carpenter can single hand
mark most cuts. Of course tapes will do that, but if you are marking header height on door framing, the 96" length is needed.

steven c newman
03-17-2019, 5:21 PM
Making a couple box lids...needed to know how long to make the parts...
Parts are 3/8" thick Ash...

Richard Jones
03-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Sure. All were Lufkin X46's. Had an 8' once, wouldn't fit in my hip pocket as easily. Table saw got hold of one once, not a pretty sight...........

All of my jeans had a hole in the left rear pocket, from removing/inserting those 'stick rules' a zillion times. Tape lines were for framers, not us snobby finish guys........:)

Jacob Reverb
03-20-2019, 2:08 PM
I didn't know they would break ... my Dad's old Lufkins are all aluminum!

Jack Frederick
03-20-2019, 3:28 PM
In the pipe traders I carried a Lufkin L46X for years. It had the hook and slide. They break when you are careless, Pulling apart rather than rotating the sections open. A bit of lubrication doesn't hurt either, but you must be careful not to over lube as the sections have difficulty staying straight. I have had a broken two section inside Lufkin that I have found very handy in the pocket while in the shop.

Osvaldo Cristo
03-20-2019, 4:42 PM
I have and when I do, I have a folding yard stick.
If you are working wearing a nail apron, you can carry it in one of your apron pockets.
I find it to be very handy.
Then you have an excuse to go buy another folding rule. I like the 96" rules.

I just ran across mine.

Folding rule always was by far the most common rule in Brazil for almost everything at its 2 m standard size. Also it has been used the tape rule, but the largest one with no automatic recoil and usually at the range of 20-30m.

The first one I broken was my father's one and it cost me a beating as I borrowed it without his consent. The second one was one of mine... I think it was poorly constructed and the articular joint broken apart.

Currently I have just one in my workshop, 1 m long very useful for a range of applications - but my most used rules are two Irwin 5m Professional tapes.

Tom Stenzel
03-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Me? I haven't broken one.

I'm on number 3 now. :eek:. Not trying for number 4 but no promises.

Besides someone has to keep the tool manufacturers busy.

-Tom

Bill Houghton
03-21-2019, 10:38 AM
I didn't know they would break ... my Dad's old Lufkins are all aluminum!
Your dad was a smart man!