PDA

View Full Version : Apples

Mark Cothren
12-07-2005, 7:36 AM
A woman I work with is crazy about this ol' Apple wood that I rescued from my neighbor's ditch a few months back. She already has one similar to this and wanted 2 more flat, shallow, bowls to put candles in for Christmas gifts. So they are unremarkable in shape/form, but some pretty wood.

The one is 7-1/8 wide, 1-1/2" tall, 5/16" thick.
The other is 6-5/8 wide, 1-1/2" tall, 5/16" thick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/06DEC_Apples01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/06DEC_Apples02.jpg

Keith Burns
12-07-2005, 8:14 AM
As always Mark you have done a wonderful job. Great form and finish along with your signature foot. Four thumbs up, two for each bowl:D

Michael Stafford
12-07-2005, 9:08 AM
Pretty wood indeed, Mark. I like the character that you left by leaving in the imperfections. :D

Mark Cothren
12-07-2005, 9:31 AM
Ya know, Mike - I thought those were pretty cool lookin'... especially the one with the limb-knot. So this guy at work is lookin' at that bowl, carryin' on about how much he loves that Apple wood... then says, "I'd <b><i>really</i></b> love it if it didn't have <i>that</i>" - talking about the little knot...:o

I told him to go suck raw eggs and howl at the moon... (in a nice way, of course) :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Simply beautiful. Looks like some "Flowering Crab Apple" I turned from a tree in my sons back yard. Had to do some surgery on it. Won't be too long till we have to take it down. It has some blight.

Bruce

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I told him to go suck raw eggs and howl at the moon... (in a nice way, of course) :cool:

Ahhhh, Mark, you are not only a talented and skilled turner but, a statesman, as well. :) The definition of "Tact": The ability to tell someone to go to (you know where...) and make them feel happy to be on their way!:D Nice job on the Apple!:) :cool:

Mark Cothren
12-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks John, but as a preacher of the Gospel I tell folks how to NOT go "you know where" and be happy about that....:D ;)

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks John, but as a preacher of the Gospel I tell folks how to NOT go "you know where" and be happy about that....:D ;)

LOL!:D OK, so you told them to "...go suck rocks..." and be happy about it!:D That's still funny and I still like how the knot is left in there!:) :cool:

Ron Ainge
12-07-2005, 4:41 PM
I like what you have done with that wood. About two years ago my neighbor came over and ask if I had a chain saw that he could borrow to cut down a tree. I ask him what kind of tree he wanted removed and he told me that it was a crab apple tree. I told him that I needed some fire wood and if he wanted I would help him cut the tree down. I still have most of the "fire wood";) left as I only use it for special turnings. I love that wood and wish I could find another nice neighbor.:D

Jim Ketron
12-07-2005, 6:31 PM
Nice Job Mark!
I like the knot! Oh well His loss:D

John Hart
12-07-2005, 6:47 PM
Very pretty Mark. You enhanced an already beautiful wood. Nice work!

Ernie Nyvall
12-07-2005, 6:52 PM
Nice work Mark. I like the knot too.

Ernie

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:43 AM
Great job Mark, that is some pretty wood.