PDA

View Full Version : The lottery doesn’t corrupt everyone

Roger Feeley
03-15-2019, 10:54 AM
I just read another dumpster fire story about a lottery winner.

When we built our house, the ONLY sub that was a no-show was the guy putting up the gutters. Our contractor was puzzled until he heard the excuse. Gutter guy was at the lottery office collecting $10M. He was up on a ladder the next day and apologized for the delay.

Mark Bolton
03-15-2019, 3:10 PM
Talk is cheap but the vast majority of what "seem to be" reasonably sane people, who win the lottery for what gaggingly seems to be a small sum of money (perhaps sub 10 mil means your going to pocket 4 by the time your done) say that they are planning on going back to work in the morning. I think many people in business and the trades would relish the opportunity to be able to, without conscience, worry, and so on, fulfill their business obligations and sleep a night without worry or conscience.

Im sure there are plenty of dirtbags who would just take the money and run but most people in business are in it for higher reasons. Pride, moral conscience, doing the right thing, etc.. While Im not saying I would work at the level I work now if I hit the lottery my very next day would consist of doing exactly what I did today until my obligations were met to my satisfaction.

Bruce Wrenn
03-15-2019, 9:47 PM
If I won, first before taking winnings, set up a trust to take winnings, with 90% going to charities. Next in line would be wife and I and then our heirs, especially our #3 & 4 grandsons. This way double taxation could be avoided. Too many winners don't consult with tax attorney before taking winnings. Because the trust is the recipient, then payment could be for full amount over the lie of the annuity.

Peter Christensen
03-16-2019, 1:49 AM
For what it’s worth lottery winnings are not taxed here in Canada. Win twenty million and it’s all yours. :) Well your wife’s but you get to say it’s yours. :(

Dan Hall
03-16-2019, 2:30 AM
Here in Nevada we don't care much for lotteries. It discourages most of the rubes and goldbrickers from visiting here to pay our taxes for us. We were formally a low tax state and though constitutionally protected from the income tax, everything else by way of government funding effort seems to be stratosphere bound. And yet we survive. I suppose. Drop by on your way through and make a contribution. When you get a chance.

Ron Citerone
03-16-2019, 6:56 PM
Here in Nevada we don't care much for lotteries. It discourages most of the rubes and goldbrickers from visiting here to pay our taxes for us. We were formally a low tax state and though constitutionally protected from the income tax, everything else by way of government funding effort seems to be stratosphere bound. And yet we survive. I suppose. Drop by on your way through and make a contribution. When you get a chance.

That's does it, I am going to stuff a few Hotel towels in my suitcase next time I'm there! :eek::D

Dave Lehnert
03-16-2019, 9:14 PM
Years ago I ran a retail garden center. I had a guy that helped out on the weekends that won the lottery. It was funny when he would load bags of mulch into cars for customers. Some customers would tip him big and say something like "Sorry you have to work a job like this, I wish you luck finding something better. LOL!!!

Jason Roehl
03-17-2019, 8:47 AM
I would hope that I have the integrity to keep working for a while, at least until a suitable replacement were found. I'm not so arrogant as to think that I can't be replaced, either. As for spending the money, well, I've always wanted to build a house doing most of the work myself, so I'd probably get going on that once I found a nice property. After that, I'd go back to work as a retiree--that is, I'd volunteer nearly full time, probably with someplace like Habitat, and there are a few mission organizations I'd want to help financially.

Jim Andrew
03-17-2019, 9:00 AM
I don't play the lottery, so not much chance of winning. Just think, you have to give your identity, so every person who makes a living collecting for organizations, charitable or whatever, is going to be all over you. If I happened to win, would immediately have to hire a fence company to build a tall fence around my property and hire security. Throw away my phone and get a new number. Think the real winners of the lottery are the state governments who make untold amounts selling the tickets, then then again when someone wins, they swoop in and take the majority of the money in the form of income tax, and then of course the federal government which of course takes the most. I would have to move to escape from the moochers after all that, and probably change my name.

Al Launier
03-17-2019, 9:04 AM
If I won the lottery I'd still be retired. :D

Brian Tymchak
03-17-2019, 9:45 AM
...Just think, you have to give your identity, so every person who makes a living collecting for organizations, charitable or whatever, is going to be all over you.

Not the case in every state. Ohio and South Carolina allow the winners to stay anonymous.

Wade Lippman
03-18-2019, 7:09 PM
I've never bought a ticket, so what do I know; but it seems to me that if you aren't going to quite your job, why would you play the lottery? Why else take such terrible odds?

Barry McFadden
03-19-2019, 9:20 AM
It corrupted me!!.... I just won $22 and a free ticket.... disconnected my phone and disowned all my relatives!!!

Jim Koepke
03-20-2019, 7:11 PM
I would hope that I have the integrity to keep working for a while, at least until a suitable replacement were found.

Retirement for the last 10 years has been wonderful. Recently there has been an urge to get a job. We don't really need more money. More money always seems to get spent anyway. So far my 401k equivalent has been pretty much untouched except for putting on a couple of new roofs.

A job would be a way to get out of the house a few times a week. Then my thoughts turn to getting up early and driving into work no matter what the weather. That is when my thoughts turn to maybe heading into town to go to the gym at the YMCA. No paycheck, but no hassle.

jtk

Wade Lippman
03-20-2019, 7:30 PM
Retirement for the last 10 years has been wonderful. Recently there has been an urge to get a job. We don't really need more money. More money always seems to get spent anyway. So far my 401k equivalent has been pretty much untouched except for putting on a couple of new roofs.

A job would be a way to get out of the house a few times a week. Then my thoughts turn to getting up early and driving into work no matter what the weather. That is when my thoughts turn to maybe heading into town to go to the gym at the YMCA. No paycheck, but no hassle.

jtk

Volunteer...

Larry Edgerton
03-21-2019, 7:53 AM
Talk is cheap but the vast majority of what "seem to be" reasonably sane people, who win the lottery for what gaggingly seems to be a small sum of money (perhaps sub 10 mil means your going to pocket 4 by the time your done) say that they are planning on going back to work in the morning. I think many people in business and the trades would relish the opportunity to be able to, without conscience, worry, and so on, fulfill their business obligations and sleep a night without worry or conscience.

Im sure there are plenty of dirtbags who would just take the money and run but most people in business are in it for higher reasons. Pride, moral conscience, doing the right thing, etc.. While Im not saying I would work at the level I work now if I hit the lottery my very next day would consist of doing exactly what I did today until my obligations were met to my satisfaction.

If I won 10M I would give you all my tools and never look back.:) Then in 6 months I would probably visit the Martin dealer. I was in WV yesterday, what a pretty state.

Rich Engelhardt
03-22-2019, 4:58 AM
Im sure there are plenty of dirtbags who would just take the money and runLOL- - Just call me "Dirty Dick" :D :D - -Supreme Commander of the " Dirt Pile"..

Pfffftttt - to all the altruistic stuff, I'd grab that fortune, buy myself a big old D9 Cat - and some property - and then build the shell of a house on it, just so I could ram that big old D9 right through it - - then do it all over again!!

That would be my job!!!

Of course - that would be after my wife cut me in on some of the loot....
Two chances of that happening - - Slim and None & Slim just left town...

Oh well a guy can dream right? ;).

Adam Grund
03-27-2019, 2:38 PM
I play once, maybe twice a year if I feel froggy, so the odds of it happening are not in my favor.
But, the conversation comes up often, and being in our early 30’s, the wife and I are pretty much on the same page with what life would be like. Don’t know what would actually happen until you have that chunk of money shoved in front of you, but we’d like to hope it would go as planned.
Probably build a house on a good amount of acreage (because I don’t like people and love my space) but not a super elaborate house by any means- 350-400k tops (Ohio, for housing cost example) still work, but probably not at the same job, and not full time. Maybe same career (don’t know on that one, I already think it’s going down the dumper and fear what it looks like in even 10yrs) But I’m confident in my thinking that no matter how many hobbies you have, you go from blue collar 50-60+ hrs all your life to nothing- you’re only going to last a few years until you’re bored out of your dome. Having a bit of income, and some structure of your time, without the stress of making a living.
Basically live a modest upper middle class life, having the amenities we desire for our hobbies, and trying hard to not appear to the outside world (friends neighbors etc) that we have a sack of money. All the while keeping it real teaching our kids what the value of a dollar is.

Boy it’s nice to dream every once In a while.

Jim Andrew
03-27-2019, 9:41 PM
Dreaming is all it is, this morning on the news they were talking about the huge powerball jackpot, then at the end said your odds of winning are one in 200 million. I won't be buying a ticket.