PDA

View Full Version : Tri Helix Grail

Bruce Jones
03-15-2019, 12:28 AM
Hello once again everyone Here's is my latest piece thought I would put a twist on things. This piece is Sapele turned and carved the finish is lacquer, it stands 14" and is 3.5 at the widest point. This one took a bit of time to smooth all the inner parts but yet keeping the crisp lines of the helix, there was a lot of hand sanding.

John K Jordan
03-15-2019, 7:46 AM
Hello once again everyone Here's is my latest piece thought I would put a twist on things. This piece is Sapele turned and carved the finish is lacquer, it stands 14" and is 3.5 at the widest point. This one took a bit of time to smooth all the inner parts but yet keeping the crisp lines of the helix, there was a lot of hand sanding.

You have a twisted mind! :)
Beautiful work, I especially like the reverse twist.

If you have any shots of making it I'd love to see them.

Hey, where did you find a chunk of Sapele that size. I have some slabs and 8 and 10/4 boards but I've never found any thicker.

JKJ

Bryan Lisowski
03-15-2019, 9:24 AM
Really nice!

Bruce Jones
03-15-2019, 12:15 PM
You have a twisted mind! :)
Beautiful work, I especially like the reverse twist.

If you have any shots of making it I'd love to see them.

Hey, where did you find a chunk of Sapele that size. I have some slabs and 8 and 10/4 boards but I've never found any thicker.

JKJThank you John, Sorry I didn't take any in progress photos this time I've been working on several wood projects as well as my paintings, the helix was carved over the winter and I was just able to get out to the shop and turn the grail part. I think I had told you before I lost my supplier for the Sapele but the mill is still there I just have to drive there 1.5 hr drive. I was getting 4" -5" thick by 10" wide by 6'-8 long 1/4 sawn planks and almost as thick pieces of the Pommele Sapele in those sizes; I sure miss having that connection.

Bruce Jones
03-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Really nice! Thank you very much Bryan

John K Jordan
03-15-2019, 2:27 PM
Thank you John, Sorry I didn't take any in progress photos this time I've been working on several wood projects as well as my paintings, the helix was carved over the winter and I was just able to get out to the shop and turn the grail part. I think I had told you before I lost my supplier for the Sapele but the mill is still there I just have to drive there 1.5 hr drive. I was getting 4" -5" thick by 10" wide by 6'-8 long 1/4 sawn planks and almost as thick pieces of the Pommele Sapele in those sizes; I sure miss having that connection.

Wow, now I'm drooling. I've driven from TN to MD and further just to pick up stuff. I'd be tempted into a road trip for some 4-5" sapele especially some that is figured.

And although this is a wood/metals/carving/boat and other craftsy forum, I can't see why a few paintings couldn't be shown, perhaps in off topic. Hint hint.

JKJ

Bruce Jones
03-15-2019, 3:16 PM
Wow, now I'm drooling. I've driven from TN to MD and further just to pick up stuff. I'd be tempted into a road trip for some 4-5" sapele especially some that is figured.

And although this is a wood/metals/carving/boat and other craftsy forum, I can't see why a few paintings couldn't be shown, perhaps in off topic. Hint hint.

JKJI'll have to see if I can still buy from them I'll let you know. I posted a few of my Painting works on the off topic forum check them out and let me know what you think. link....https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272804-Paintings&p=2909013#post2909013