PDA

View Full Version : How to fold large bandsaw blades for storage

Alan Lightstone
03-14-2019, 9:34 PM
Calling all bandsaw experts:

I know how to fold bandsaw blades, like the ones I had on my 14" bandsaw, but the 201" blade length on my FB710 makes for a huge diameter coil when I fold it the normal way.

When they were shipped to me, the diameter was significantly less than I'm able to achieve (more loops).

Is there a trick for doing this (there must be).

Floyd Mah
03-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Fold it into three loops (as usual for a small blade). Then shrink two of the loops to make the remaining loop large. Grab the two smaller loops in one hand (treat it as if the two small loops are a decoration or weld on the blade and ignore them). Now, fold the remaining large loop into three smaller loops. You can then equalize the size of the five loops as the finishing touch.

John K Jordan
03-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Floyd's got it down! There have been other threads here asking the same question, maybe a search? I think there are videos, too - I found one when I first tried coiling the big blade on my Woodmizer sawmill. The small blades are a lot simpler! (and safer)

I took some pictures of the holding method I use when coiling the 3 loops into 5.

405622 405623

It might be easier at first to put the two smaller loops on the floor and hold with your foot leaving your hands free to make the second coil with the big loop up. But it's not necessary, just pretend the other two are not there as Floyd mentioned.

If the blade is not wide and thick you can even coil in to 7 loops by repeating the process, holding 4 while coiling one large loop. It does get more difficult though. I only did this one to see if I could. (These are 142" blades for my 18" Rikon.)

JKJ

Floyd Mah
03-14-2019, 11:59 PM
The discussion that goes along with making the small coils is how to uncoil the spring-loaded blade. It's a good idea to protect the soft bits of your body (gloves, even a face shield) when handling these blades. You don't want to cut your nose doing these things. I remember best the toss the coiled blade out on the lawn to uncoil it technique suggested by someone. Small animals might be injured in the process, so proper precautions should be exercised.

Leo Graywacz
03-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Start the video at 2:40 to see how to get the 5 loop storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si-Ws6S18-A

John K Jordan
03-15-2019, 6:54 AM
The discussion that goes along with making the small coils is how to uncoil the spring-loaded blade. It's a good idea to protect the soft bits of your body (gloves, even a face shield) when handling these blades. You don't want to cut your nose doing these things. I remember best the toss the coiled blade out on the lawn to uncoil it technique suggested by someone. Small animals might be injured in the process, so proper precautions should be exercised.

I do the tossing thing with the big blades for my Woodmizer. I can fold them OK (with gloves and safety glasses!) but the spring is so strong and the teeth so wicked I just toss them onto the ground near the sawmill. They make an interesting twang. The guy at the bandsaw blade shop where I get blades made showed me a way to uncoil them gracefully but I didn't try it myself in his shop and when I got home and tried it (on a smaller blade) I obviously missed something!

JKJ

John K Jordan
03-15-2019, 7:08 AM
Start the video at 2:40 to see how to get the 5 loop storage.

The way that guy does it works well for the tiny blades he is demonstrating. With larger blades with more spring power I have to use two hands so I use a different method: hold on either side maybe at 10 and 2-o'clock positions with my foot holding the bottom against the floor and bend the top of the blade towards me and down. I can't find the Woodmizer video but this guy shows the method well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJA9Vancmn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJA9Vancmn0

He pushes the bottom of the blade against the grass but on a smooth shop floor I prefer the foot method. This technique should work for coiling more than once but I wouldn't try it on a large blade. (a wide and thick blade and lots of big scary teeth!)

JKJ

Tom M King
03-15-2019, 8:56 AM
I also use my foot, much like the video at about 1:20.

Gary Ragatz
03-15-2019, 9:22 AM
I got a band saw for the first time last year - just a small Rikon. It came with the blade installed. When I ordered some additional blades recently, I didn't really think about how they'd be packaged. When I got the blades, I was entertained by the instructions on the box, which are to remove the ties and gently toss the blade on the floor "in an unoccupied area."

John K Jordan
03-15-2019, 2:35 PM
...When I got the blades, I was entertained by the instructions on the box, which are to remove the ties and gently toss the blade on the floor "in an unoccupied area."

Ha! Hopefully not a room full of expensive delicate glass artwork and fine furniture. :)