PDA

View Full Version : Bigleaf Maple, burned, colored and some laquer

sascha gast
12-07-2005, 5:42 AM
Just finished this yesterday, bigleaf maple HF about 7" tall, Ebony colar.
the lines are burned, then colored and received about 6 coats of laquer.
that was a fun project, now I just need to get more bigleaf maple to make more different pieces.
This was the first project I got to use my Detailmaster on.
the foot is a bit out of sharp, but it's almost 3am and I need to go to bed
:D

Thanx for looking guys

Sascha

Mark Cothren
12-07-2005, 7:32 AM
Very neat, Sascha! Creative!

Thanks for the picture!

Chris Barton
12-07-2005, 7:51 AM
Whoa! That's cool!

Greg Heppeard
12-07-2005, 8:51 AM
Awesome!! I love the color. Be careful with the Big Leaf Maple, I found a rock in the middle of my last one.

Jerry Clark
12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
WOW Sasha,:eek: I really like the HF. The form, color and lines make it. You sure are giving the new lathe a work-out!:)

craig caldwell
12-07-2005, 10:27 AM
There is plenty of big leaf up here. So when the call from all of you fans becomes too great to ignore and you go on an instructional tour... You could pick some while you are up here... Island Woodcraft has a nice turning shop for demo/lessons, hint hint.

sascha gast
12-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Man how I wish Bigleaf Maple would grow around here:( . It's really hard to get,

Sascha

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2005, 1:09 PM
Like Craig said, lots of big leaf maple here. I have to dig out the ones that start growing in the garden and lawn. I still have some firewood from one
we cut down after it died a few years back, in fact I think I still have a few hunks of Madrona firewood too.

sascha gast
12-07-2005, 1:20 PM
FIREWOOD:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now that just brings tears to my eyes

Sascha

Chip Sutherland
12-07-2005, 1:34 PM
I love it. Thats an example of where I'm aspiring towards. I learned doing some raku pottery about the cool properties fire adds to the process and eventual coloring.

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2005, 2:15 PM
FIREWOOD:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now that just brings tears to my eyes

Sascha
Sorry, but that was before the forum and I don't do turning. When you pay several hundred to have a dead tree removed it's nice to at least get some use from the wood in the fireplace. I know better now, if any of my
other trees die I'll let some of you guys come get it.

Rich Stewart
12-07-2005, 3:15 PM
Thats a really cool piece Sasha. I wonder if you could do a map of the United States with those lines on the outside. Or maybe a world map. Anybody ever do a globe? Hmmm.

Beautiful work Sasha.

Ernie Nyvall
12-07-2005, 8:52 PM
Sascha, I never cared too much for multi colored dye work on wood, but this one stands apart. The tone of the colors you used is just right. It's really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Ernie

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 9:19 PM
Wonderful piece, Sascha! Great form and the artistry is intriguing, to say the least. I'm usually one for keeping wood as close to natural as I can, but your piece is certainly exceptional! Thanks for posting!:) :cool:

Dick Parr
12-08-2005, 1:38 AM
Cool Sascha ! :)