PDA

View Full Version : Need help on bowl finish

jeff oldham
03-14-2019, 2:37 PM
I have sanded this bowl thru 400 twice ..using sanding sealer and putting wax on it but I still get this in the finish on some parts..I have redone it twice and still getting it..not the entire bowl..just a couple of places...

John K Jordan
03-14-2019, 3:47 PM
I have sanded this bowl thru 400 twice ..using sanding sealer and putting wax on it but I still get this in the finish on some parts..I have redone it twice and still getting it..not the entire bowl..just a couple of places...

Are you referring to the lines of tearout around the circumference? If so, that can go deeper into the wood than you can sand, especially on end grain. What tool(s) are you using? Have to be very sharp.

I don't make segmented pieces but for pieces from solid wood I would typically smooth with a sharp negative rake scraper after shaping with a gouge and/or Hunter Hercules tool. Then I follow the NRS with a hand scraper remove tool marks and fix any problem spots. All tearout should be removed before sanding or applying any finish. However, for some pieces I apply a thinned shellac sanding sealer before sanding and applying finish. And sometimes I wet sand for a better surface, but only after any tearout is cleaned up.

Allan Ferguson
03-14-2019, 8:44 PM
It appears that you may have some segments with exposed end grain, with some tear out . Useually segmented turnings have long grain exposed, hence no end grain to contend with. Also possibly moving to a finer grit prematurely. Sanding can be a real pain. I do not like sanding and a good finish when applied useually exposes any faults in our sanding. John's comments are very good and well worth heeding. Good luck in getting the finish your after.